Anyone have any experience with robotic vacuums?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Looking at buying one of these for the wife. I've been looking at a roomba and a hombot by LG.

Getting mixed reviews on these things does anybody have one that they have been using for a while with good results like little maintenance still working like the day you got it etc?

Thanks in advance.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    A few family members have robo vacs and hate them. From my understanding, the only GOOD use for them is if you have a very small area, such as a kitchen and a dining room and just want little bits of dust bunnies to not accumulate on the floor. If you have pets they won't work well at all. We tried one of the ones that mops your floors just for our kitchen and it was terrible. I would say put the money into a new pistol...or pay someone $30 bucks every two weeks to come thoroughly clean your place if you don't want to do it yourself :)

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    A few family members have robo vacs and hate them. From my understanding, the only GOOD use for them is if you have a very small area, such as a kitchen and a dining room and just want little bits of dust bunnies to not accumulate on the floor. If you have pets they won't work well at all. We tried one of the ones that mops your floors just for our kitchen and it was terrible. I would say put the money into a new pistol...or pay someone $30 bucks every two weeks to come thoroughly clean your place if you don't want to do it yourself :)

30 bucks to clean your house? You have said persons number? Bc the maid service I use wants 150 every other week or 100 per week.

Also I recently bought a roomba from costco, it's currently on sale for I think 269. I was planning on dropping the 600 bucks for a higher series but happened to be at costco and saw it. I know Costco as a company does a lot of research in the products they carry. And since they picked that model, I figure they chose the best bang for the buck. On it's maiden voyage, after about and hour I pulled the waste bucket from it and it was totally full. I had no idea my wood floors had that much dust on it. Does the house look cleaner? Don't really know, but I'm content with the piece of mind knowing what ever it picked up won't be floating around.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I looked into these at one time. The roomba is the most popular but nobody I know that has had one got it to last any time. When I was researching them, it seemed like the sweeper type was the way to go, it didnt have suction, just spinning brushes and was for pet hair and dust bunnies- great for everything except carpet. Dirt devil made a rather economical one a few years ago, not sure if it is still being sold though.
    I decided against getting one because 5 minutes with a dust mop would take care of my entire house at the time and $250-600 was a big gamble for something that I didnt see lasting for the long haul. Most I ever even read about someone getting was 2 years before belly up.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Oh, I don't know, maybe just clean your sh!t?

Being totally sarcastic here.

But seriously.

Vacuum once or twice a week (unless you have dog issues like Austin) and you're golden.

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    If it weren't for my Roomba I'd be up to my ankles in dust bunnies. That being said spending a few extra bucks if you have it on the mint or neato robot vacs is worth it. I'm notoriously cheap so my roomba will have to keep soldiering on alone.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Wasn't impressed with my Roomba. It was fun to watch, till the novelty wore off after a week or so. Needed a hundred dollar battery replaced after a year or so. If you have a moderate sized room with only one or two entrances and zero furniture, they are great. Else.......

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    We have had several over the years, all Roombas I think.
    They work OK for a quick pickup. Best in a smaller area, bedroom or kitchen.
    I use an old unit at our office for a basic cleaning, start it when we leave in the afternoon.
    It is pretty amazing how much stuff it will pickup; old staples, paper clips even dead bugs.
    We had some issues with broken components and Roomba has always sent parts.

Forgot to add the reason we started with one was for a dog in the house.
    They will get most of the hair, but at some point you still need to do the cleaning manually.

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Yeah I forgot to mention that we have dogs. They are inside pups but they track a fair amount of dirt not to mention the hair they shed which isn't too bad since they are both short hair dogs.

She wants something that will help out because at the moment she sweeps everyday and it's just as dirty if not worse the next day.

We aren't lazy by any means we keep a clean home it's just a pain in the ass to have to sweep up every day.

ddeacon1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    I have a Roomba. We use it when I want a quick clean up and do not feeling like breaking out the canister vac. It will not be replaced if broken.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'll PM you my address. Do you have a vehicle? Or some way of getting from Splash to my house?

Well I get off of work at splash normally at 2:25 AM but sometimes we stay late for... Uh... The guests. After that I can ride my bike over. Does 4 AM work for you?

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The Roombas won't replace your big vacuum. They actually work well to keep an area clean if you run them every day. I guess the best way to describe it is they do what they're advertised to do, work well, but will still end up in the closet or attic after a month.

Top Bottom