Anyone know if the project of turning jazzland into a mall/bass pro is happening?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    From the pics, it looks like they are going for the same thing as the Destin Commons.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that is a waste in N.O. East.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I always thought that Orleans Parish has a standing ordinance that prohibits a business or FFL dealer to sell firearms made after 1942 or something like that?

CajunBull85

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    Last I heard was that the mall project out at jazzland had stalled. Apparently a contractor won a bid to renovate the Riverwalk mall in New Orleans (by the Aquarium), and turn it into an outlet mall. When the people on the Jazzland contract found out they decided they might not want to build an outlet mall out there when they would have to compete against an outlet mall right in New Orleans. I guess they figured people wouldn't want to drive to New Orleans East when they can visit an outlet might right in the heart of New Orleans. I will see if I can find a link for all this.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    That place has had its day, and it ended. Now with less than 1/4 of its hay-day population and 3x's more crime, not only would it be a waste of everyone's time and cash, it would fail just like the rest of that area

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    That place has had its day, and it ended. Now with less than 1/4 of its hay-day population and 3x's more crime, not only would it be a waste of everyone's time and cash, it would fail just like the rest of that area

They don't make outlet malls to service the corner of a city, they do it to service areas. This one would likely be intended to service all of the New Orleans, Jefferson Parish, and Slidell. I'd assume their reasons for looking at jazzland would mostly include price of the land, existing access from the interstate, and a ton of concrete already down for parking. Someone with more knowledge on this may tell me I'm totally wrong, but I don't think I'm too far off the mark.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    While the thought of an Outlet Mall may sound good I have recently been to some Outlet Malls and with the Internet these days the prices at Outlets are not that great. It is only when they have sales and even then you could still probably find better deals on the Internet. That is my take on Outlet Malls. They are fun when you are on vacation because you are likely to drop some fun money but as a regular shopping location not so much.
    Now as for the Jazzland site. I think that it was a miracle that it was ever built. I used to work for a company that did surveys and we put in a bid to do a survey out there and the initial findings were that it was a horrible area as far as the stability of the soil. I think it ended up being built because the developers threw tons of money at it and were able to grease enough palms to make it happen. I think right now the typical "politics as usual" in New Orleans is going to kill any projects. It won't be until enough money gets thrown around that they will let something happen out there. It is sad that people would rather it be an eyesore rather than put aside personal gain in order to make that area better.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    They don't make outlet malls to service the corner of a city, they do it to service areas. This one would likely be intended to service all of the New Orleans, Jefferson Parish, and Slidell. I'd assume their reasons for looking at jazzland would mostly include price of the land, existing access from the interstate, and a ton of concrete already down for parking. Someone with more knowledge on this may tell me I'm totally wrong, but I don't think I'm too far off the mark.

Correct, and I didn't say they do. The area is dead, and was getting there well before Katrina. As for a large shopping center, there is no demand to support it. Just like there was no demand for Jazzland/Six Flags. The average person will not venture into NOLA East to shop, over going to Gonzales or 30mins further into Mississippi. The malls the NO/Jefferson area have are struggling as it is. Someone may come in and build it, but it will be under the same direction as everything else out there... money gets passed around, and the building goes into rot stage soon after opening.
    To attract people to the East, for anything really, not only do you have to invest heavily into the structures you need (which modern construction says its cheaper to build new than to renovate after X amount of square feet) BUT then you have to make the entire area from Exit to parking lot look welcoming. People aren't going to pass burnt out buildings/collapsing apartments/overgrown grass/unkept property to travel to do a multi hour $200 splurge spending trip.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Does anyone know how difficult it is to go out to Jazz Land and just check it out? I know a lot of photographers have gone out there, but not sure if it's illegal, unenforced, whatever... I've always wanted to go out there just to check it out, but I'm also really into the "Life After People" series and stuff like that.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Does anyone know how difficult it is to go out to Jazz Land and just check it out? I know a lot of photographers have gone out there, but not sure if it's illegal, unenforced, whatever... I've always wanted to go out there just to check it out, but I'm also really into the "Life After People" series and stuff like that.

I'd make the trip. Sounds really cool to check out.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

Tresspassing I'm sure, but I don't know if they enforce it. I'm sure they've cleaned it up since they started filming movies there, before that I'm told it was full of homeless people and really sketchy.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

It's illegal. I went out there with permission/friend once. Super cool and whatnot. Kind of gross to.

I was waiting for it to go all Walking Dead on me.

Really sketchy. Like, hide bodies kind of sketchy.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    It's illegal. I went out there with permission/friend once. Super cool and whatnot. Kind of gross to.

I was waiting for it to go all Walking Dead on me.

Really sketchy. Like, hide bodies kind of sketchy.

How long ago was this, before or after they started filming out there?

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Make it a drag strip, go cart track, maybe some........ oh wait never mind the west bank did that already. The east sucks, who really wants to drive out there. You think the city is dangerous, they live like a 3rd world country out there.

Top Bottom