Anyone know if the project of turning jazzland into a mall/bass pro is happening?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    The East is a mess, but the area around the Bullard exit is ok. Bass Pro was also looking at the old Entergy plant on the river near the CCC. That's probably dead too.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    It's illegal. I went out there with permission/friend once. Super cool and whatnot. Kind of gross to.

I was waiting for it to go all Walking Dead on me.

Really sketchy. Like, hide bodies kind of sketchy.

Who even owns it now? Isn't technically government owned now? How would one seek permission?

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Having a cop say it's ok is not having permission, unless he's authorized by the owner/responsible party. I have cop friends too, that would join me on the trip, but I'd rather have legit permission

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Having a cop say it's ok is not having permission, unless he's authorized by the owner/responsible party. I have cop friends too, that would join me on the trip, but I'd rather have legit permission

We had permission...........

He came for personal safety.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Spoke with Sharon Martin at the IDB today. She was a very nice lady and gave me a lot of information. There are no authorized tours of the facility. The rules have slowly been changing regarding its use over the past couple years, due to economic development potential and other issues. They receive hundreds of request for photographers and students, military, and film crews. Very few request are approved and mainly for large movie shoots, every request is done on a case by case for the most part. Photography is not allowed on the site at all anymore, other than authorized film crews.

As it currently stands, the roads are blocked with k-rails, and the entire complex is gated and locked. You would have to park at the k-rails and walk to the park, and then get through the locked gate. If law enforcement catches you, you will be charged with trespassing.

I asked her about the concept of potentially offering tours to the site, and while that has been discussed in the past, the liability issues seem to be the biggest problem. It is an abandoned theme park, and I'm sure the dangers associated with wandering around can be rather significant from a liability standpoint.

I know that the IDB is a non-profit agency, so money could potentially solve some things, but she said that her boss is more strict about it's use than she is and they have been enforcing the guidelines that are set in place for the facility.

Top Bottom