Anyone own or shot a Baretta PX4 full size in 40 S&W

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    I had an opportunity this past week to get a good deal on a Baretta PX4 in .40S&W. I really did not want the gun and have no need for it but it was new and unfired, with several extras and at a price about half the original cost.

Now I have not fired it and likely may not since I have a few other .40 cal guns but I have been reading about the reduced recoid and the rotating barrel.

My question is how well do they work? I see a lot for sale on some auction sites. Are you happy with yours?

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    From a shooter at a match who shot his JPSO? duty Beretta PX4 it worked fine. He said it was accurate, reliable, the finish was not tough and it rusted easily. He also thought the operation was a bit weird and preferred a more traditional action.

I personally have no experience it.

Dave

TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    I have the PX4 Full Size .40 I picked up new earlier this year. I had a PX4 Compact 9MM and a Stoeger Cougar .40 already, which are both the same type of rotating barrel design. I bought the full size 40 in that design due to the experience with the other two, which was nothing but positive. They are reliable, accurate guns that do in fact manage recoil pretty good, making it a bit easier to get back on target for the second shot. IMHO, the trigger is not as good as on my Beretta 92FS (9mm), but still acceptable. The full size .40 seems to manage the muzzle flip normally associated with the .40 cartridge way better also. I like the gun a lot, and will probably put night sights on it soon and make it my nightstand gun. I have about 400 rounds through it so far, both 165 and 180 grain, JHP & FMJ in multiple brands, and have had no issues at all. This (and all) my Berettas will eat any kind of ammo, including steel case and go bang every time. The gun breaks down for cleaning very easily also. The weird operation comments are mostly due to the safety/decocker mounted on the slide, which does operate opposite of what most people expect or are used to. Weird is a relative term, it is different, but functions perfectly anyway.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    I have the PX4 Full Size .40 I picked up new earlier this year. I had a PX4 Compact 9MM and a Stoeger Cougar .40 already, which are both the same type of rotating barrel design. I bought the full size 40 in that design due to the experience with the other two, which was nothing but positive. They are reliable, accurate guns that do in fact manage recoil pretty good, making it a bit easier to get back on target for the second shot. IMHO, the trigger is not as good as on my Beretta 92FS (9mm), but still acceptable. The full size .40 seems to manage the muzzle flip normally associated with the .40 cartridge way better also. I like the gun a lot, and will probably put night sights on it soon and make it my nightstand gun. I have about 400 rounds through it so far, both 165 and 180 grain, JHP & FMJ in multiple brands, and have had no issues at all. This (and all) my Berettas will eat any kind of ammo, including steel case and go bang every time. The gun breaks down for cleaning very easily also. The weird operation comments are mostly due to the safety/decocker mounted on the slide, which does operate opposite of what most people expect or are used to. Weird is a relative term, it is different, but functions perfectly anyway.

Thanks for the glowing review. As I stated, the gun may never be fired in my lifetime but then I might decide to take it to the range one day. The only other Baretta I own. or have ever owned, is a .25 semi that is about 40 yrs old and has not been shot in maybe 35 yrs.

I got this gun in an unusual way and I felt I could not afford to pass it up. A friend of mine's daughter is married to a no good fellow. The husband and more likely she went to a major store and bought the gun new two weeks ago. It was never fired. They bought the gun and a lot of accessories with it. The total on the sales receipt was $679. Two days later the husband was arrested and will not be getting out of jail in this lifetime. His bond is a half million dollars on just one of the charges. He told his wife to sell the gun and what ever else there was in the house in order to raise money for the rent. Her father called me and told me the situation and offered me the gun for $375. I called one of the DIstrict Attorneys I often worked with over the years and he said the man was not yet a convicted felon but would be and the gun was community property so I would be safe in buying it. Now I feel I bought it at a little over half of the original cost since I only paid $350 for it.

Top Bottom