Anyone play chess? Update 08/20

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I started online about 3 weeks ago. Play against a computer. I've watched videos all over you tube and haven't learned much because all their chess videos only work if the opponent side moves exactly as they do in the video. When I try a game against the computer (trying to move like the games in the videos) the comp. never moves like in the videos so I never know where to go from there.

Any link to a decent video that will help me? Thanks.

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I used to be pretty good but absence from the game weakens you're game. I know this though, the only way to Improve is to play people better than you.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I used to be pretty good but absence from the game weakens you're game. I know this though, the only way to Improve is to play people better than you.

I'm playing about 5 games a day. Their are 10 levels of play in this program, I assume level 10 would be a Bobby Fisher level. I started at level one and am at level 4 now and it's tough, but fun and frustrating at the same time.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The trick is to think moves ahead. If I do this, and he does this, I can do this, which will leave him these options. There isn a specific formula to win games, it's all about thinking long term.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Played with my Dad quite a bit. Then one evening at age 22 I mated him 4 games in a row. He never wanted to play me again. Guess he didn't want to become a better player. :D

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I'm playing about 5 games a day. Their are 10 levels of play in this program, I assume level 10 would be a Bobby Fisher level. I started at level one and am at level 4 now and it's tough, but fun and frustrating at the same time.

You need to stop letting the computer beat you because it only encourages our soon to be robot overlords.

Knave

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I started online about 3 weeks ago. Play against a computer. I've watched videos all over you tube and haven't learned much because all their chess videos only work if the opponent side moves exactly as they do in the video. When I try a game against the computer (trying to move like the games in the videos) the comp. never moves like in the videos so I never know where to go from there.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a ranked player or especially good at all etc.

IMO thechesswebsite.com has good videos. The guy that runs it (Kevin) is an international master IIRC(?) but I may be wrong.

Anyway, IMO I would start by playing alot of games as white and opening with e4. If black doesn't respond with g5 (not a typical response but with a computer opponent you never know) follow up with Nf3. Essentially you will be playing a Ruy Lopez game unless black played g5 on his first move. If black plays g5 IMO play Nc3 on your second move.

My reasoning behind this is that e4 is a classical opening, a very strong and very popular opening, and a hell of a lot of chess theory evolved from an e4 opening. After that, playing Nf3 starts you on Ruy Lopez which is the start of several extremely popular and effective lines for white and is IMO the best place to start learning.

Play alot of games like that, ALOT of games, and then start reading specifically about Ruy Lopez lines. As you read, you will start to see patterns that remind you of games you've played and you will see answers to problems you have run into. Then go back and play alot more games, etc etc.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Let me preface this by saying I'm not a ranked player or especially good at all etc.

IMO thechesswebsite.com has good videos. The guy that runs it (Kevin) is an international master IIRC(?) but I may be wrong.

Anyway, IMO I would start by playing alot of games as white and opening with e4. If black doesn't respond with g5 (not a typical response but with a computer opponent you never know) follow up with Nf3. Essentially you will be playing a Ruy Lopez game unless black played g5 on his first move. If black plays g5 IMO play Nc3 on your second move.

My reasoning behind this is that e4 is a classical opening, a very strong and very popular opening, and a hell of a lot of chess theory evolved from an e4 opening. After that, playing Nf3 starts you on Ruy Lopez which is the start of several extremely popular and effective lines for white and is IMO the best place to start learning.

Play alot of games like that, ALOT of games, and then start reading specifically about Ruy Lopez lines. As you read, you will start to see patterns that remind you of games you've played and you will see answers to problems you have

run into. Then go back and play alot more games, etc etc.

I mostly do start e4 and Nf3. This afternoon I tried something little different, started e4, then Nf3 then Pc4 then Nc3, and by games end I finally won.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Try playing against real people online. There are quite a few places out there. I got bored one summer and played Yahoo Chess and got to the top 500 (black rating I think). If you play against others you will progress much quicker than playing against a computer. Also, if there are places that allow chatting too while playing, you could always talk to people. I know many offer tips.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Try playing against real people online. There are quite a few places out there. I got bored one summer and played Yahoo Chess and got to the top 500 (black rating I think). If you play against others you will progress much quicker than playing against a computer. Also, if there are places that allow chatting too while playing, you could always talk to people. I know many offer tips.

I've done that also. Only played one game, got beaten naturally. Found out the guy was a pro with thousands of games played. Even though I think I played him a decent game considering I am a newbie to the game.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

I used to be into it. I learned from playing people, as well as reading literature about Paul Morphy's games, as his strategies seemed to compliment what I naturally tended towards. Chess is like math. To be really good, you can't just memorize formula, you have to truly understand it. Otherwise, Deep Blue would have been invincible.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Yay! Just won my 2nd game in a row at level 4. Me (white) at the end had Rf1-Ne2-Kg2-Pg3-Pa4-Pb7-Ph4-Qg6-. Black (opponent) had Kg4-Ph5. It was a fairly quick game, about 40 minutes.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yay! Just won my 2nd game in a row at level 4. Me (white) at the end had Rf1-Ne2-Kg2-Pg3-Pa4-Pb7-Ph4-Qg6-. Black (opponent) had Kg4-Ph5. It was a fairly quick game, about 40 minutes.
    40 minutes is not a quick game in my opinion, haha! I like the four move win personally. So many people don't even look for it.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    40 minutes is not a quick game in my opinion, haha! I like the four move win personally. So many people don't even look for it.

When my middle-school went and played another school, I used that 2 out of the 3 games I played. The 3rd game I cleared every piece of my opponents from the board because my classmates made fun of me for "being cheap" the previous 2 games.

Top Bottom