Anyone use or try this yet?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    WD-40 Corrosion Inhibitor.
    product-corrosion.png

I was having trouble with the sights rusting on my EDC G19, so I got some of this last week- figured I'd give it a shot (couldn't hurt:dunno:). Well so far, so good. It was a "sweat" weekend at the camp- and thus far there is no sign of rust on my sights.

Just wondering if anyone else has used it, and what results you had. If this continues to work, I'm sold. Rusty sights are normally a weekly issue. :mad:

Thought I'd pass it along....:)

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    There was a test on YouTube comparing it to Froglube CLP and the Froglube trounced it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqXi947z0Ck

I remember testing Froglube back when it first became popular and before they put in the mold-inhibitors and all that, and found it to perform pretty poorly, but the latest batch I ordered is EXTREMELY effective at preventing corrosion, even when wiped off to just a thin fingerprint-thick film.

I did a sweat comparison of several CLP's a while back, using a salt concentration of approximately 50mmol to simulate "average" sweat salt (35-65mmol, or thereabouts). I did not have any of the WD40 to test, sadly. Both Froglube and the new formulation of Rand CLP did extremely well even on bare steel, which is what parts of my Glock sights are after holster wear, wear from being slammed against things like windshields, etc.

*Allen-wrench was sanded bare. It was then washed with soap and water, and then cleaned/wiped down with acetone, and heated "warm to the touch" as FrogLube instructions state. The other lubes make no mention of temperature, and "warm" is normal operating conditions. It was let to cool back to room temperature after the lubricants were applied, before the wet fabric was laid across it. A 154mmol NaCl solution was diluted with 2 parts to 1 using distilled water, creating a roughly 50mmol saline solution. This falls mid-range with the typical NaCl concentrations of sweat. A clean "heavy" cotton T-shirt (laundered at home) was then surgically operated on. This yielded a strip of fabric which was then soaked in aforementioned solution until saturated, and then laid over the test fixture as shown. Time/date stamps are on all photos. Lubricant is applied per mil-spec definition "generous".
    **FYI, and FWIW, the solution tasted far less like salt than anything I ever encountered while out jogging, but the chemistry is what it is, allegedly. Probably because sweat on the skin has higher concentrations of NaCl due to increased salt concentration from evaporation, etc.
    1p9i11.jpg

9kcdp5.jpg

*During unloading of the dish-washer roughly 2 minutes before taking these photos, I spilled a few drops of water on the fabric from the clean dishes. It in zero/nada/no way affected anything, and as you can see from the picture, was not on the tested portion, even for those 120 seconds or so. The fabric was otherwise completely dry when removed. No additional solution had been added during the test. Time as per time-stamps was fractionally shy of 8 hours.
    11gp16h.jpg

2v8lvmg.jpg

Link to full-size image: http://oi44.tinypic.com/2v8lvmg.jpg
    After briefly and evenly "polishing" the surface with the same fabric, I then scanned an image of it to better display its surface:
    2e2km6c.jpg

Link to full-size image:http://oi39.tinypic.com/2e2km6c.jpg

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Looks like Froglube is some good stuff. But hell- I never go 3 weeks without cleaning my weapon. :dogkeke:

This stuff looks like it works well enough- for me, anyway. And it's also around 11 bucks a can vs $20-25 for 8oz of the Froglube gel. That $hit BETTER work. :rofl:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    People love to bash WD40 . Most threads about it will usually contain the standard " It's not a lubricant , it's a water displacement ..." :rolleyes:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    People love to bash WD40 . Most threads about it will usually contain the standard " It's not a lubricant , it's a water displacement ..." :rolleyes:

Which is absolutely true. Even WD-40 agrees...

http://wd40.com/news/in-the-news/wd-40andreg-can-be-an-effective-maintenance-tool-for-gun-owners/

Notice they do not say anything about using it as a lubricant.

It can be a good corrosion preventative and finish protectant. Works well on rusty/seized parts too. But once dry it offers no lubrication. Which is fine, it was never designed to. WD-40 does what it does, and lubricants do what they do. Trying to make one product do everything will not work out well.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

http://wd40.com/news/in-the-news/wd-40andreg-can-be-an-effective-maintenance-tool-for-gun-owners/

It can be a good corrosion preventative and finish protectant. Works well on rusty/seized parts too. But once dry it offers no lubrication. Which is fine, it was never designed to. WD-40 does what it does, and lubricants do what they do. Trying to make one product do everything will not work out well.

It is mostly Stoddard solvent, light mineral oil, and propane unless they have gone to C02 as a propellant.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Has the product formulation changed, or is this a marketing ploy?

The new advertising on WD-40 can looks inciting, emulating "Long Term" corrosion protection.

Having a handgun/rifle on the label would have been a nice touch.

No, this is a different product from WD-40.

(Wore G19 yesterday evening/night while working up more sweat. Still no rust on sights.:thumbsup:)

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central

I was referring to basic WD-40 which is most definitely marketed as a lubricant .

Top Bottom