Anything wrong with this picture?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Ok, I figured I had the bases covered after doing some research...but I thought I'd post because if there was a flaw in my plan, someone here would find it.

Setting: I'm moving from Louisiana to Pennsylvania

Route: Will take me through MS, AL, TN, WV, OH and PA

Everything I own is in a mover's semi, however, the movers will not carry firearms or ammunition (amongst other things). So my handguns, rifle and shotgun will be in the suv with me.

I have all handguns unloaded, and locked within cases. I went ahead and bit the bullet and got one of the 6 gun, pelican cases.

My ammunition is in an ammo can. All cases will be buried amongst a ton of other stuff so it will not be readily accessible while driving.

Anyone see anything that I could possibly be tagged on if I happened to be pulled over? And yes, I am a pessimist. I believe that if life has a chance to kick you, it will.

~rc~

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Ok, I figured I had the bases covered after doing some research...but I thought I'd post because if there was a flaw in my plan, someone here would find it.

Setting: I'm moving from Louisiana to Pennsylvania

Route: Will take me through MS, AL, TN, WV, OH and PA

Everything I own is in a mover's semi, however, the movers will not carry firearms or ammunition (amongst other things). So my handguns, rifle and shotgun will be in the suv with me.

I have all handguns unloaded, and locked within cases. I went ahead and bit the bullet and got one of the 6 gun, pelican cases.

My ammunition is in an ammo can. All cases will be buried amongst a ton of other stuff so it will not be readily accessible while driving.

Anyone see anything that I could possibly be tagged on if I happened to be pulled over? And yes, I am a pessimist. I believe that if life has a chance to kick you, it will.

~rc~

That's not a pessimist to me, that's a realist. Haha. I am an *******, so when anyone kicks me, I kick them back harder.

BOT, and remember, IANAL, but AFAIK, you should be G2G.

(practicing my abbreviations so I can fit in with my generation)

Last edited:

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    Most states have "peaceable journey" statutes that allow for this circumstance, as long as the destination and origination laws are followed.

Being locked up in a case, in the rear of the SUV... You should be just fine. I would just make sure that the SUV doesn't leave your sight while stopped.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    I'm not too familiar with the subject of interstate travel, but here is some information that may help.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered. FOPA also seems to provide for necessary stops, like gasoline and rest.

Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest.

Emphasis added.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    People I know in Ohio, including firearms trainers, tell me that in Ohio you cannot have loaded magazines in the same vehicle as the firearm they go to. I understand you said your ammo is in ammo cans, so it may not be an issue for you. However if you're like some people I know that keep a bunch of loaded PMAGs in ammo cans, or maybe just neglected to think it matters... in Ohio, it does. Just keep the ammo boxed or loose, and no loaded mags, and that's the only other hiccup I can think of that you didn't specify.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    +1 on the unloaded mags for ohio.

also i recommend a padlock on either the ammo or gun box, as they are still in the same compartment(suv).

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    ...and if you happen to get stopped, do not consent to a search. If asked 'do you have any firearms in the vehicle?', an appropriate reply might be 'I have nothing illegal in the vehicle'. It may seem *******-ish but do you really want to take a chance on Barney Fife being reasonable?

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    It's one of those dam-ed if you do and dam-ed if you don't scenarios.

Doesn't matter what this or that law says, if you get pulled over the sh-t will probably go down hill from there because of Murphy's law, which trumps all other laws and common sense.

Freedom of travel within the USA basically no longer exists. Especially when traveling thru the western U.S.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    It's one of those dam-ed if you do and dam-ed if you don't scenarios.

Doesn't matter what this or that law says, if you get pulled over the sh-t will probably go down hill from there because of Murphy's law, which trumps all other laws and common sense.

Freedom of travel within the USA basically no longer exists. Especially when traveling thru the western U.S.

Did you mean Eastern?

Also, I've never had trouble in traveling, nor known anyone who has. /shrug It's especially true for traveling on Interstates. State Troopers aren't typically your foolish Barney Fifes.

Top Bottom