AP ammo illegal ...New to me .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Correct me if I'm wrong ..And I'm sure someone will , but I read that AP ammo is illegal to posses in Louisiana . I'm assuming that means your collectible M1 Garand black tip stuff as well . :eek3:
    Ref. ...RS40:1811

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    https://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2012/rs/title40/rs40-1811/

Universal Citation: LA Rev Stat § 40:1811
    §1811. Prohibitions

A. No person shall import, manufacture, sell, purchase, possess, or transfer armor-piercing bullets.

B. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than one year, or both.

Added by Acts 1983, No.284, §1.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I remember a lot of hubbub about armor piercing pistol ammo and since there were AK ‘pistols’ the ban on import of steel core 7.62x39 and all surplus 5.45x39 ammo but I’m not aware of armor piercing rifle rounds being illegal. Maybe they just mean depleted uranium rounds...

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I remember a lot of hubbub about armor piercing pistol ammo and since there were AK ‘pistols’ the ban on import of steel core 7.62x39 and all surplus 5.45x39 ammo but I’m not aware of armor piercing rifle rounds being illegal. Maybe they just mean depleted uranium rounds...

RS 40:1810 defines " Armor Piercing " . It's not just depleted Uranium .

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I found this out myself a couple years back trying to find some AP ammo to purchase. Unfortunately it is banned in Louisiana. Supposedly theirs a company out now in the works of producing Legal AP ammo. I’m going to see if I can find the YouTube video I stumbled across and I’m sure they are not the only ones looking into this but it was something along the basis as they were going to use a material that was not listed on the AP ban.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I wonder how long it’s been banned in our state. I remember seeing BMG in small packs at gun shows as late as the early 90’s IIRC.
    And what states haven’t banned it I wonder? I swear the more laws they create around firearms the more they burden the law abiding.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    PART IV. ARMOR-PIERCING BULLETS

§1810. Definitions

As used in this Part, "armor-piercing bullet" shall mean any bullet, except a shotgun shell or ammunition primarily designed for use in rifles, that:

(1) Has a steel inner core or core of equivalent density and hardness, truncated cone, and is designed for use in a pistol or revolver as a body armor or metal piercing bullet; or

(2) Has been primarily manufactured or designed, by virtue of its shape, cross-sectional density, or any coating applied thereto, to breach or penetrate body armor when fired from a handgun.

Added by Acts 1983, No. 284, §1.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area

§1810. Definitions

As used in this Part, "armor-piercing bullet" shall mean any bullet, except a shotgun shell or ammunition primarily designed for use in rifles, that:

(1) Has a steel inner core or core of equivalent density and hardness, truncated cone, and is designed for use in a pistol or revolver as a body armor or metal piercing bullet; or

(2) Has been primarily manufactured or designed, by virtue of its shape, cross-sectional density, or any coating applied thereto, to breach or penetrate body armor when fired from a handgun.

#1 "Designed for use in a pistol or revolver" is a key part.

#2 also sounds like it would depend on the manufacturers designed intent of the projectiles purpose.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    #1 "Designed for use in a pistol or revolver" is a key part.

#2 also sounds like it would depend on the manufacturers designed intent of the projectiles purpose.

I’m sure it was written to stop the “cop killer” bullets long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

§1810. Definitions

Well that’s the way I remember it. I’m thinking it doesn’t include rifle rounds. Of course, if people keep bringing out so called ‘pistols’ in rifle calibers there are no guarantees, are there...

Of course, if I’m wrong, better hide your 855 ammo huh...

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well , if it doesn't include rifle ammo I guess that's cool .
    I think it’s like I originally remarked, only pistol ammo. I remember when it was making the news and there was some concern about criminals having pistol rounds that could defeat body armor. There may have been some developed but I don’t believe any was marketed so it just doesn’t truly exist and shooters were wondering why the big deal. Most pistol ammo is either subsonic or barely faster than subsonic, so it wouldn’t be a good choice for armor piercing rounds anyway.
    Side note: During the mid 90’s I spent some time with a member of the secret service. He told me that the Feds had long had AP pistol ammo in their sights due to their shielding techniques possibly being defeated by rounds of that nature from a handgun. He didn’t elaborate but I assumed he meant the possibility of someone being able to walk up with a concealed pistol and shoot through an agent and still hit the POTUS?

Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Back in the day (70s and 80s ) we acuired and shot a good many KTW bullets . The ones we had were . 357 cal. Teflon coated steel bullets . They had a sharp point . I don't remember the weight but they were light for caliber and had less recoil than normal loads. I remember when Hollywood decided to demonize them in a movie ( I think it was leathel weapon ) the hero was about to be run over by a bad guy on a piece of heavy equipment when his partner found a container of bullets and threw them to him yelling " cop killers " yep he loaded them up and shot right through the blade and got the bad guy . If I remember correctly a couple of cops were shot with them . The fact that the bullets were from one of the cops guns that had been taken from him by the punk and they were shot in the head didn't matter to the celebrities and politicians .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Those teflon bullets..got a lot of hype in the 1980's. Some states went overboard with the legal definition, not understanding that virtually all high power rifle rounds will penetrate soft body armor. Many states defined penetrator as harder than steel materials like cobalt, tungsten, and uranium used by heavy AP rounds for military use. The steel based light AP rounds were not included in most definitions. It appears your state did. It would probably be prudent to legislate that definition so that folks don't score a felony for simply acquiring a surplus round. That said, this code appears to be an effort to regulate arms, via cartridge components, and that violates the Second. My suggestion would be to make the calculated use of armor penetration cartridges in acts of crime an add on charge. It would give the judge the ability to prove whether the defendant had intentionally used armor defeating cartridges in the crime and punish accordingly. When doubt is cast, the defendant would not be charged.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Those teflon bullets..got a lot of hype in the 1980's. Some states went overboard with the legal definition, not understanding that virtually all high power rifle rounds will penetrate soft body armor. Many states defined penetrator as harder than steel materials like cobalt, tungsten, and uranium used by heavy AP rounds for military use. The steel based light AP rounds were not included in most definitions. It appears your state did. It would probably be prudent to legislate that definition so that folks don't score a felony for simply acquiring a surplus round. That said, this code appears to be an effort to regulate arms, via cartridge components, and that violates the Second. My suggestion would be to make the calculated use of armor penetration cartridges in acts of crime an add on charge. It would give the judge the ability to prove whether the defendant had intentionally used armor defeating cartridges in the crime and punish accordingly. When doubt is cast, the defendant would not be charged.
    I was under the impression hr 3121 armor piercing ammo bill outlawed " teflon"clad steel handgun bullets for civilian use nation wide .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Politician watching movies. Getting Scared and Passing Laws. Dang that Lethal Weapon Movie with the cop killer that shot through bucket lifts.

Politicians also outlawed switch blade knives in this state over another movie too. I can not remember the name.

- - - Updated - - -

Politician watching movies. Getting Scared and Passing Laws. Dang that Lethal Weapon Movie with the cop killer that shot through bucket lifts.

Politicians also outlawed switch blade knives in this state over another movie too. I can not remember the name.

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    I wonder how long it’s been banned in our state. I remember seeing BMG in small packs at gun shows as late as the early 90’s IIRC.
    And what states haven’t banned it I wonder? I swear the more laws they create around firearms the more they burden the law abiding.

That's their goal, most of them anyway. I believe that the NFA and every gun control law after that is unconstitutional and they need to be repealed. The 2nd amendment puts restrictions on the government, not the people, and they've been infringing upon that Right for a long time now.
    I know that many, even in the gun community don't agree, but I firmly believe this. Corrupt and power hungry politicians and judges have bastardized the spirit of the 2nd amendment through re-interpretation, mis-interpretation and mis-representation and its time for it to stop!
    BTW, "Arms" doesn't just mean firearms. It includes knives, swords, body armor, etc.

Last edited:

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    Their goal, especially at the federal level, but some state and local levels too is to control and an eventual ban on all arms and ammunition, especially Democrats, but a few RINOs too. I believe that the NFA and every gun control law after that is unconstitutional and they need to be repealed. The 2nd amendment puts restrictions on the government, not the people, and they've been infringing upon that Right for a long time now.
    I know that many, even in the gun community don't agree, but I firmly believe this. Corrupt and power hungry politicians and judges have bastardized the spirit of the 2nd amendment through re-interpretation, mis-interpretation and mis-representation and its time for it to stop! ��
    BTW, "Arms" doesn't just mean firearms. It includes knives, swords, body armor, APRs and other ammunition, accessories, etc.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Attachments

• 5D0F7555-A0C3-484E-8AD6-A844539EC497.png
      5D0F7555-A0C3-484E-8AD6-A844539EC497.png
      167.1 KB · Views: 81
    • 17A965B9-8F97-42C5-9C01-4CB80F26B621.png
      17A965B9-8F97-42C5-9C01-4CB80F26B621.png