Apollo 8 Curiosity

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    My mom's getting up in years and she can no longer climb the stairs in her three-story house, so she's selling it to buy a one-story house. In the clean-up preparation she stumbled across something I thought you guys might find interesting.

My dad attended Annapolis, and captained the USS Freedom during his tenure there. One of his crewmen was a second-year named Jim Lovell. That year my aunts, young girls at the time visited my dad, and they were swept up in the whirlwind romantic adventure that was the Unites States Naval Academy in the 40's. In the photo below Jim Lovell crews the boat ferrying them from the USS Freedom to shore. My dad stands aft of the foremast blurred in the background. 20 years later Jim Lovell piloted Apollo 8 to orbit the moon, and my dad sent him a cancelled first day cover commemorating the mission which Captain Lovell took with him to the moon. This is a scan of that 1st day cover signed by Captain Lovell and the photo of him as a young man.

apollo%208%20first%20day%20cover%20and%20photo%20of%20jim%20lovell%20reduced.jpg

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Need to ask an expert how to keep that paper from turning brown from the air/moisture .Great find ! Oh and by the way I learned that from Pawn Stars :mamoru:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MrPantz
    Top Bottom