Appendix carry... Yay? Nay? and why/why not

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    Just curious on y'all's opinion of aiwb vs say 4:00 iwb. Never carried this way, but know a few guys that swear by it. Not really sure if I'd be comfortable with the muzzle always pointed at... Well the important stuff :)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    No thanks. Rules of firearms handling... don't point a weapon at anything you're not willing to shoot... Nope. Not to mention the femoral artery is down there too...

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I haven't got my ccw in yet but I think it's versatile as far as drawing from different positions not to mention it's rather comfortable and I don't print.

As for ccw without my permit I've just been trying it out around my house specifically inside my house only.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It's perfectly safe with the right holster and training, and for some people works really well. There are also a lot of valid arguments for the advantages. If you plan your carry style based on shooting yourself, you're doing it wrong.

friar8

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Yay. It works for me better than any other position. It's as simple as that. I have been carrying that way for some time now. I also shot all of Gunfighter I with Advantage Group from appendix and never shot myself.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I've carry appendix, close to center line.

I understand it's not for everyone, but there are some advantages.

I dont want to be shot anywhere. Follow the safety rules and carry a gun that you don't have to worry about it going bang unless your finger presses the trigger, then carry in a holster that protects the trigger from being pressed.

As for not carrying a striker fired gun, that is the type of mindset that leads to NGs. Safeties fail, but more often humans make mistakes. If you count on a manual safety to keep a gun from discharging, then know it can let you down.

You naturally open your hips to present from centerline. In doing so, the muzzle is quickly pointed away from your body before getting a finger on the trigger is even possible.

This is not the case for iwb strong side hip. In this position, you naturally tend to point the muzzle more inbound as is comes from the holster.

It is easier to get the gun out of the holster from appendix in a seated position, strapped in a vehicle and while on the ground if entangled with someone on top of you.

This is also an area that is usually not touched by others.... less likely someone feels your gun while hugging, etc.

No need to go up in pant size and I find it is easier to conceal with a slimmer shirt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    Thanks fellas. I definitely see the practicality in it. Seems fairly easy to conceal a firearm and quick to draw. I don't "plan to shoot myself", but as LAcamper said it seems to go somewhat against firearm training a bit (muzzle discipline). It seems that as long as your safe and aware of what you are doing (and with practice) it might be a viable option for me. Now I just need to check out some holsters. Thanks guys

friar8

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've tried several different holsters and settled on the Raven ACR. It is thin and has secure pull-the-dot belt loops that keep the gun where I expect it to be when I draw. This is the holster I used in Gunfighter I and I loved it. Never had any problem with it.

I also have a G-Code INCOG which I like, except the belt clips that are used. I don't feel that they are as secure as the pull-the-dot loops are.

Another "holster" I have is the Raven Vanguard II. Very minimalist which makes it very comfortable. It made me nervous at first but I have never had any problems with retention or security of my Glock. It does not hold the gun in a very consistent place so the draw varies. You also cannot/should not reholster with this system.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Thanks fellas. I definitely see the practicality in it. Seems fairly easy to conceal a firearm and quick to draw. I don't "plan to shoot myself", but as LAcamper said it seems to go somewhat against firearm training a bit (muzzle discipline). It seems that as long as your safe and aware of what you are doing (and with practice) it might be a viable option for me. Now I just need to check out some holsters. Thanks guys

You can certainly carry appendix and maintain good muzzle discipline and awareness. If you carry at 4 o'clock your likely pointing your gun at your calf. Should we dismiss that method as unsafe?

Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    You can certainly carry appendix and maintain good muzzle discipline and awareness. If you carry at 4 o'clock your likely pointing your gun at your calf. Should we dismiss that method as unsafe?

Very good point. Definitely a good way to look at it. Thx

I'm not "scared" I guess you could say about appendix carry. I know that it's me that decides how safe any carry or firearm handling in general is. Just weighing the pros and cons. I'm 6' and ~180lbs average build. The more I research and think about appendix carry, the more I believe it could be ideal for me in most situations.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I've seen guys who carry like this who are scary fast and discreet on the draw. It seems like a good method with the right holster, but I just can't find one that I like enough. I personally find if you have any belly at all, it can be really uncomfortable after a little while.

ETA: if you're honestly worried about shooting yourself, practice with an unloaded gun. No bullets or mags in the room, rack the slide so it's 'cocked', and draw to presentation a few dozen times. Then (again- no bullets ANYWHERE in the room) point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger. If it goes click, then you know you were safe in your practice. Repeat until you're comfortable. This goes for any carry position.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't have a "belly", but appendix carry is still very uncomfortable when im in my car or need to bend even in the slightest. I like everything about it except that it hinders my mobility- and I use the mobility more often than the firearm, so its not the carry method for me.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    When I was 50 pounds heavier I dident like it.It was uncomfortable.But now it feels weird wearing it any other way.

its amazing how losing some weight makes guns easier to carry. shoot just dropping ten pounds will make your print disappear in most cases.

Yep! Carrying a concealed handgun is a lifestyle! So is physical fitness. If you are big in the belly, appendix carry is going to hurt. Make a choice! Fitness or fatness.

Most assuredly there is a comfort factor involved in what and where you carry. But if you carry concealed, always carry! I have never forgotten this:

"Carrying a gun is a lifestyle! If you don't plan on carrying your gun everywhere all the time you are in public; this permit may not be right for you!" - Wade Duty 2007 (Owner Precision Firearms/CC instructor)

I've carried my heavy ass P229 everyday for 8 years in my back pocket! You cannot get more comfortable than that, folks! But there is no legitimate retention there unless I put it in a holster (which belies the point of having it there). And, unless you wear a shirt with a tail down below your ass cheek; it's gonna show sometime.

Goal for me: Lesser belly, thinner/lighter gun, good trigger guard holster, and comfortable appendix carry! I am on my way.

As for AC hurting when you sit?!? Other than eating or sitting at a public place, I will never sit on my gun or leave it in my belt.

Cup holder FTW!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom