Appleseed events - rifle marksmanship

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    The first few Appleseed events for 2014 have been posted:
    http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=LA&statename=Louisiana
    There is no better way to learn how to shoot that new rifle or to fix some bad habits.

The first event is in Port Sulphur on 1/25 (it will be a one day event). There will be two day clinics in Slidell and Amite this Spring also.

Questions? dplunkettATcoxDOTnet

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    Are centerfires really looked down upon in the classes? I have heard it both ways.

As a guy who's favorite platform is the M14 / M1A I have gotten those "looks" when I'm the only centerfire on the line.... However there is plenty of room and we can easily accommodate both rim fire and centerfire shooters. After the first couple of rounds nobody hardly notices the big boomers.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    Are centerfires really looked down upon in the classes? I have heard it both ways.

They're not looked down upon, it's just that most of the time we're shooting 300+ rounds at 25 yards. Also, there are usually lots of new shooters who arn't used to the noise and muzzle blast of a centerfire rifle. Under those conditions, a centerfire is a bit overkill and can be pretty expensive to run, as well as being a bit intimidating to new shooters. Centerfires arn't discouraged (I've run ARs on occasion) but fewer and fewer people are running them at Appleseed these days.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I have been to 2 of these with my son, (8 and 9 at the time of attending) and couldn't recommend them more. The first one was a 2 day event, the second a 1 day. In reply to Kenny, the one day works as far as getting the instruction and learning the history, but you will have less time to take multiple AQT's. In short, you will get less time to practice what you learn, but you will learn no less. From my experience, centerfire was not frowned upon, I shot an SAR-1 for the tail end of my first event. That being said, I would seriously consider using rimfire, as it is much cheaper to shoot and more comfortable to shoot repeatedly. Attending my second event, I only brought a rimfire, and, if I attend this next event (very likely, schedule dependent) I will also only bring a rimfire.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    You are welcome to bring your CF rifle to Amite. If you can afford the ammo, have at it! Of course, you may want to save a few bucks and shoot a .22 for part of the day (though .22 isn't as cheap as it once was). We'll just put you on the end of the line and away from anyone who might be thrown off by the noise.

One day events are a great way to get the instruction without committing consecutive days. Later this year we will hold some one day events that assume you have been to the first day. We'll review skills and drills and then shoot lots of AQTs - just like Day Two of a two day event. If you have attended an event already and are interested in a Day Two event, let me know.

By the way, here is a nice endorsement of Appleseed instruction:
    http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2014/01/thoughts-on-defensive-and-emergency-use.html

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    Tomorrow's event at the Sheriff's Range in Port Sulphur is still on. Walk-ons welcome. We'll be there by 8 to register you. Bring whatever rifle you have ammo for.

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I signed up for the Slidell event in February. Been meaning to go for a while, I built a 10/22 into a LTR a long back and it's kind of gathered dust since then. Looking forward to getting it sighted in for the shoot!

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    We will look forward to seeign you in February. In Slidell, we shoot at 25m, so sight in for that distance. But if you don't get it done before you arrive, no problem. You can zero at the event. The critical piece, of course, is to shoot tight groups and then a sight adjustment will bring you on target.

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the update. I only have convenient access to a 25 yard range for sighting in this weekend so I'll definitely have to do some fine tuning when I get there. Finally got the little adjustment wrench for the tech sights; why they don't just come with them is beyond me.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    25yds is plenty close enough for our purposes. You will be a step ahead when you arrive.
    As for the TechSights, I have often wondered the same thing. A golf tee or bullet tip also work.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    It's best to "pack in", it's long days, you should bring snacks, lunch and whatever your hydration liquid of choice is, to get the most out of the weekend.

Geeck's right - nothing onsite and closest is several miles away. We try to "work" even through breaks to maximize the time available.

Top Bottom