Applying to a department as an out of state resident

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    So I have been living in South Carolina for the last two years and I just recently moved back to New Orleans. I want to start applying to some departments soon, but I am unsure of a few things. I am still a South Carolina resident at te moment, will that have any effect as to whether I will get hired on or not? Also, if I have to be a LA resident, how long would I have to be one before I would be able to be hired on? I would like to change my residency back to LA, but I don't have the money to deal with all of the BS that comes with it right now. Anyways, thanks for any input you guys might have!

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Go to DMV and get you drivers license and any vehicle, if applicable, transferred to LA and register to vote at the same time.
    Now you are a LA resident.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    Yea, it doesn't cost much to get an LA drivers license, but it does cost a lot to pay insurance in LA. Plus I am pretty sure I would have to pay sales tax or something on my truck when I transfer that over as well. I don't have that kind of money right now.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Yea, it doesn't cost much to get an LA drivers license, but it does cost a lot to pay insurance in LA. Plus I am pretty sure I would have to pay sales tax or something on my truck when I transfer that over as well. I don't have that kind of money right now.

Louisiana law requires that you change your residency within 10 days. I doubt many departments would be willing to hire you when your technically breaking the law by not changing your residency. All of the postings I have seen for jobs with local governments require you to be a resident.

Good luck with your search

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    i hope you dont have too many cars or expensive ones.. it'll cost you half the price of the car new, to register it here...

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    i hope you dont have too many cars or expensive ones.. it'll cost you half the price of the car new, to register it here...

When I moved here it was 9% of the value of my car.

I thought auto insurance was high in Florida but in Louisiana DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom