April 18th strikes again. (updated)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    Very weird story, forgive me if it goes too long. Trust me, this is the cliffs notes version. Just feel compelled to share for some reason.

Three years ago today, around 4 am I lost the love of my life, Lizzy. Lizzy is one of two twins, perfect in every way, except born with a bone deficiency that caused drama for them thru their whole life. Always breaking bones, strange accidents etc. Prettiest two twin sisters I've ever seen. Lizzy had bum kidneys, Jenn gave her one, then had it replaced, three times. Having the most rare blood type didn't help much with the donor process either. Just after her last one failed, she was diagnosed with breast cancer so they removed her from the donor list for good. Her pop bought her a cow. Molly. Nobody knew why he did it, but she loved that cow. She fed it every day and spent a lot of time outside with the cow. I know, weird huh? lol. The cancer took it's toll on my angel, It eventually broke her spirit and early on April 18th she lost the fight. Hardest day of my life, tough day each year for me since. I woke up at 4am today from a dead sleep and couldn't figure out why. Only after I'd started off for work did I realize the date, it was a tough day for sure.

Over the last three years, I've gotten to know her family very well. Lizzy's twin, Jenn, has been my rock. She lived in Alaska, had four boys and a husband in the special forces. Tough damn girl. We've been thru a lot in the last three years together. First she lost a baby, born a month early with the bone deficiency. Baby was in icu from day one and a sneeze broke her little back. Jenn was a trooper, never let anybody know she was sad, she kept me going and I tried to do the same for her. Then her husband was killed in Afghanistan last year. Her boys were her life, she was strong for them and the grief and pain brought us very close as friends. She's so very identical to Lizzy, it's impossible to not love her too. Lizzy has been around, we both see it. She watches over us we always say. This last year Jenn got hit by a car, broke some ribs and a leg. While she was in the hospital the doctors found a tumor in her brain and operated to remove it. Again, on 18 April. We joked that it was Lizzy messing with her so we couldn't forget her.

They got most of the tumor but swelling from the surgery pressure on her spinal cord which paralyzed her from the waist down. Still couldn't break Jenn, she was tough thru the whole thing. She fought thru the rehab and eventually got a lot of movement back, she was going to beat it. Christmas day this year Jenn's four boys were in a terrible car accident, killing the youngest three. First time I ever saw Jenn cry. She still couldn't walk but she clung to life hoping for a turnaround. Loving on her oldest boy, knowing all this must be happening for a reason. During her immobilization and surgery, a blood clot developed in her head which eventually broke loose, went thru her heart damaging the valves and causing a massive heart attack. By this point she was on so many drugs for so many things, the doctors really didn't know which way to turn. The whole family was just in shock. The doctors replaced her valves with pig valves about three months ago. She was doing pretty well, but her heart was very weak and never really recovered. She got put on the donor list but being a rare blood type it wasn't looking good. In and out of the hospital for the last few months, get a little better then another bad heart attack. Two weeks ago her heart stopped all together. Back in the hospital on life support. She was bumped to the top of the donor list and was holding strong.

Yesterday, Molly the cow died suddenly for no apparent reason. Her dad commented that Lizzy must have decided 3 years was too long without a steak and she missed Molly. Lol

Some time last nite, in Annapolis MD, a poor family lost a loved one. Just so happens she was transported to Jenn's hospital, had the right blood type and was a perfect match. Right about 4am my time, as I was waking up suddenly, again on 18 April, they transplanted the heart into Jenn. She's nowhere near out of the woods, long road ahead. But tell me that doesn't make you believe it's Lizzy looking down on us. Three years, to the day, nearly to the minute. Freakin weird.

Very long hard day for me, very emotional first half, then didn't find out about Jenn's new heart until this evening, very happy since then. I'm freakin drained. off to bed. If you do pray, please put us on your list. Sure could do with a happy ending to this craziest story ever. Thanks

g

Last edited:

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    WOW............................thats all I can say is WOW! Thats a very unique story thats for sure. And I thought my family had it bad with the death of my Dad and sudden death of my younger pregnant sister. You and your family will definitely be in my prayers man.

Bam Bam

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    God is there in the situation. He was there to be with Joseph as he was beaten by his eleven brothers, sold as property to the Muslim traders, jailed falsely on a lie by the wicked wife of the commander of the pharoah's guard who wanted Joseph, but accuse him of rape when he refused, jailed, and the was second only to Pharoah after God turned it around. He is ht healer and the Comforter.

Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    That is more bad than I think I could handle.

Ain't that the truth. I'm pretty sure any one of the bad things that's happened to Jenn in the last three years would have killed any of the rest of us. The fact that she still smiles and jokes and is determined to fight thru it is truly inspirational to me. Life is always tough, but this serves as a reminder that it could be a whole lot worse.

My Lizzy on the left and Jenn on the right. Strongest two women I've ever known.

lizjensm2.jpg

Last edited:

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    All I can say is WOW! Great story, real tear jerker. Please continue to repost every year if it helps bro. Prayers have been sent your way for you and those beautiful ladies..

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Sorry to read about this my brother, BUT it has made you who you are today and now you know you can survive it.

Have faith in something and you will continue to walk forward towards YOUR GOAL.

Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    36 Hours in, Jenn is awake. First thing she said was somebody smuggle her in a steak from that damn cow! lol. That's my girl. Thanks for the prayers. These two girls history of rejecting organs is not good, fingers crossed. Doctors are closely monitoring her cell counts, but have told her that if all goes well she could be home this time next week. Incredible how somebody else's heart can beat inside your body.

Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    8 days in, she's doing great. Doc's can't believe how healthy she is, and they let her go home. I talked with her earlier, she's so very happy. This girl never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts, let's hope she stays out of the hospital for a long while this time. Great f'n day :)

g

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheMadKing504
    Top Bottom