Ar-10 build or buy questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    Hey all! I've been reading posts here and on other websites about building ar's. I know building a decent ar-15 can be done pretty cheaply these days. How about building an ar-10 for the same or close to say a dpms 308 sporticle?

My my requirements for a gun for this discussion aren't super stringent. Need to be able to hit center mass maximum 300 yards. Needs to take pmags. 18-20 inch barrel. Would prefer to use magpu furniture if that even makes a difference. Optics aren't figured in for this discussion either. What I'm really looking for is actual recommendations of parts members have actually used instead of me just scouring the internet for the lowest priced parts that may or may not work well together. Thanks in advance.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I just bought PSA PA 10 gen 2 uppers and lowers with NiB BCG for $700. It's an 18" mid length with a Midwest Industries 15" rail, Magpul ACS-L stock, and the polished trigger. It takes PMAGs and 1st 60 rounds went flawless. Shoots cloverleaf at 50 yards. I haven't had a chance to shoot it at 100 or 200 yards yet.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    are you looking to procure the most inexpensive rifle possible? Or are you looking for a best bang for the buck that you'll upgrade later?

What's important to you? are you going to hunt with it?

drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest. Funds are tight though so that is one of the reasons I was thinking build instead of buying a complete gun. I had a $1000 dollar budget in mind. I would not be using this as a hunting rifle, unless is was for hogs out in the swamp. And that's a big maybe. This would be a target/plinking rifle. What's most important is that it works, and is fairly accurate. I have a M&P 15 sport that I can ring a steel plate with iron sights at 100 yards. That's what I would be looking for in an AR10. The only difference is that this one will have an optic and I want accuracy at 200-300 yards. That's why I'm asking questions here to make sure I'm not asking too much out of this platform in the price range I'm keeping in mind. Otherwise I can keep saving and buy a Springfield M1 instead. (That's on my wishlist anyway.)

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Hey all! I've been reading posts here and on other websites about building ar's. I know building a decent ar-15 can be done pretty cheaply these days. How about building an ar-10 for the same or close to say a dpms 308 sporticle?

My my requirements for a gun for this discussion aren't super stringent. Need to be able to hit center mass maximum 300 yards. Needs to take pmags. 18-20 inch barrel. Would prefer to use magpu furniture if that even makes a difference. Optics aren't figured in for this discussion either. What I'm really looking for is actual recommendations of parts members have actually used instead of me just scouring the internet for the lowest priced parts that may or may not work well together. Thanks in advance.

DPMS Gen II seems to be pretty popular.

Top Bottom