AR-15 and AK-47 and Hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Jim Zumbo the former hunting writer for Outdoor Life Magazine got himself in a real bind when he cut down the use of the AR-15 and AK-47 as a hunting weapon. With him it was tradition, and the other little thing about reffering the American Battle Rifle as some sort of terror weapon didnt go well with about 80 million American gun owners. Had he known enough about them which I find hard to believe that he didn't he should have wrote this.

As deer cartriges go the 7.62X39 is a better deer cartrige than the .223 Remington. They are both legal for deer in Louisiana as well as the two rifles. They are both not exactly the choice of normal deer hunters but use them if you have them.

The AK-47 is not all that accurate and it is difficult to install a scope, however we did do this once and found it to be accurate enough for deer hunting. If you like the 7.62x39 cartrige you can get it in a CZ-527 rifle and it becomes a tack driving little deer rifle. A Ruger Mini 30 is also available and will certainly outshoot a Kalishnokov. My old friend Lt General Mohamend Al Sumera loved the AK in combat over the M-16 as to him it was more reliable. With it he took out a Juba sniper that had kill over 100 American soldiers and Iraqi Security Forces (This guy was on our side and glad to have him). See Sniper the Thousand Yard Stare www.foremosthunting.com

Now I can outshoot General Mo but just barely we both spit playing cards with 22 iron sigted rifles. Therefore my accuracy choice is the AR-15 for fun and the M-16 when I get serious. As a running coyote rifle there is none better than an AR-15 and the 223 cartrige. On deer and hogs it is a bit shy on knock down power but it will work and has been proven many times. Good hunting bullets now exsist that make the 223 a viable deer rifle. You can most certainly mount a scope on an AR and this makes it the finest semi-auto for hunting. Now you can get an AR in just about any short action hunting calibur including a short magnum so the 223 is not by itself by any means. Remington and DPMS Panther arms have a whole line of hunting type AR-15 and AR-10 rifles that any hunter would do well with. Pass it on....

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I hunt with my AR and my AK's. A couple of years ago I killed a doe at 100 yds with my 223 AR using Cor Bon's DPX bullets. Last year I killed my first hog with an AK, and at 15yds he didn't have a chance.

Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Nobody will mention the number of times they have wounded game, gutshot, or had to shoot 5 times to put game down with an assault rifle tho,lol.

I agree Lsufan.. Browning Bar is a sporting rifle however, and is available in game calibers. It also does not have a 30 rnd bananna clip, so it is not the choice of the "Assault the deer foundation".
    You know when u see a hunter.. he is the one carrying a Ruger No1 single shot and 2 rounds of ammo,lol.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Nobody will mention the number of times they have wounded game, gutshot, or had to shoot 5 times to put game down with an assault rifle tho,lol.

I agree Lsufan.. Browning Bar is a sporting rifle however, and is available in game calibers. It also does not have a 30 rnd bananna clip, so it is not the choice of the "Assault the deer foundation".
    You know when u see a hunter.. he is the one carrying a Ruger No1 single shot and 2 rounds of ammo,lol.

Shot my first deer with a Ruger No. 1. Sweet freaking guns.

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    If someone would ask my opinion on the .223 for hunting deer... I'd say, "go for it", but make sure you get the heaviest bullet your barrel will stabilize with something designed to expand.

While I'm sure the standard FMJ rounds will probably fragment/disintegrate at shorter ranges, things get questionable above 100 yards, and I would advocate a much quicker death for the animal if at all possible.

Although deer are smaller than most thugs, they do tend to run away a LOT faster.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    The only problem I have is that my AK is in 5.45 and well... ammo selection is... well... nonexistent. :)

Though I just bought an AR lower. :)

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Sorry the BAR will not match a Stoner type rifle in accuracy or performance, only to some will it beat it in looks. I dont think a BAR comes in 223 however both rifles come in 308 and that is where you can see the difference. The new Army Sniper rifle is an M110 or an AR-10 very accurate and reliable. They are so good in fact that the traditionalist dont have much to gripe about, armed with an AR-10 you will only need one shot anyway.

The AR-15s are very popular with new veterans this is why they are opening up new caliburs to use in the AR-15 platform. The only thing that has merit is the fact the 223 is not a first choice for deer hunting cartrige but a 7mm/08 certainly is and will lay low any white tail with one shot, you can get one in the new Remington R-25.

I've owned two BARs one in 308 and one in 243 neither was impressive in accuracy but they function better than a Remington. At the range the AR will outshoot the Browning, in the deer woods they should both do well.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I'd give some serious thought to retiring my trusty 308 if I could find a nice, affordable bolt gun in 7.62x39

It's got wonderful ballistics inside of "greenfield" ranges...

Also, if anyone else is pondering this as well, Thompson makes a 7.62x39 barrel for the encore......I'd already have it if my encore hadn't disappeared. :wtc:

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    I'd give some serious thought to retiring my trusty 308 if I could find a nice, affordable bolt gun in 7.62x39

It's got wonderful ballistics inside of "greenfield" ranges...

Also, if anyone else is pondering this as well, Thompson makes a 7.62x39 barrel for the encore......I'd already have it if my encore hadn't disappeared. :wtc:

The CZ-527 Carbine is what you are looking for in a 7.62x39 check it out at CZUSA.com

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    it's a good looking rifle except for two things...
    1. the iron sights
    2. the price tag

I think the Encore will retain it's position at the top of my list for now solely on it's ability to be any caliber I want/need. However, that CZ is definitely something to keep an eye out for though! It would be hard to pass up if it were less pricey. Thanks. :cheers:

Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Sorry the BAR will not match a Stoner type rifle in accuracy or performance, only to some will it beat it in looks. I dont think a BAR comes in 223 however both rifles come in 308 and that is where you can see the difference. The new Army Sniper rifle is an M110 or an AR-10 very accurate and reliable. They are so good in fact that the traditionalist dont have much to gripe about, armed with an AR-10 you will only need one shot anyway.

The AR-15s are very popular with new veterans this is why they are opening up new caliburs to use in the AR-15 platform. The only thing that has merit is the fact the 223 is not a first choice for deer hunting cartrige but a 7mm/08 certainly is and will lay low any white tail with one shot, you can get one in the new Remington R-25.

I've owned two BARs one in 308 and one in 243 neither was impressive in accuracy but they function better than a Remington. At the range the AR will outshoot the Browning, in the deer woods they should both do well.

WHAT?!?!?! Please tell me this was a joke.. you are comparing the most accurate semi-auto system in the world to an AR and saying the AR is more accurate?!?!? Seriously? I believe you have VERY faulty info, perhaps you find that YOU shoot a Stoner better, but if you vise both guns down, standard barrles.. I will bet you 100 bucks the BAR wins every single time. You are also comparing the cheapest made mass produced barrel with a Cryon Barrel made from Belgium hammer forged billets of steel??

I have yet to find a BAR that doesn't hold 1" groups@100yrds , The AR platform was built for mass production modular and useable systems in the field, they were NOT built or designed for acccuracy, If you put a quality barrel in any other similar caliber weapon, bolt, semi, or breach, you will get overall far more accuracy than from an AR platform.

People should be careful of the advice they give based on their personal useage, as what some consider accurate, others find unacceptable. To me a rilfe that doesnt hold a 1" group @300yrds is not something i would use outside of plinking or personal defense, a feat that i have yet to see a stoner achieve consistantly.

This is a BAR rifle action.. and it IS the Most accurate Semi off the shelf that you can buy with a GUARANTEED 1" OR under grouping @ 100yrds. The FNAR .308 rifle.

The FNAR tactical / sniper rifle was first introduced to shooting public in 2008. It is a product of the US-based subsidiary of famous Belgian company FN Herstal, the FN Manufacturing Co. The FNAR rifle is based on the proven and quite popular FN / Browning BAR hunting rifle

Caliber(s): 7.62x51 mm NATO (.308Win)
    Operation: gas operated semi-automatic
    Barrel: 508 mm / 20"
    Weight: 4.08 kg / 9lbs FNAR-L, 4.54 kg / 10 lbs FNAR-H
    Length: 1054 mm / 41.5"
    Feed Mechanism: 10 or 20 rounds detachable box magazine

The FN FNAR is a gas-operated semi-automatic rifle. The short-stroke gas piston is located below the barrel and concealed within a stock. Barrel is locked using rotary bolt with multiple lugs. Receiver is machined from aircraft-grade aluminum alloy, polymer stock has an adjustable buttstock and pistol grip. Feed is from detachable box magazines, holding 10 or 20 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition. Rifle is available in two basic versions, with heavy- or lightweight fluted barrels.

this rifle as it sits with its under 1" guarantee.. costs 1300.00 .. how much do you invest in a AR10 to get a 1" shooter?

fnar-h.jpg

Last edited:

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    The AR is a fine platform but I'd never recommend the .223/5.56mm for game bigger than coyotes. ARs are now available in better deer cartridges, so there's no need for even a "black rifle" enthusiast to shoot at a deer with a less-than-ideal chambering.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    A DPMS Panther arms 308 right off the shelf will defeat a BAR right off the shelf. You dont carry a vice to the field. In bench rest compitition you wouldnt stand a chance, but Ive heard this before. Do you have a BAR in 308 if you do I think I can arrange a rifle to be sent to me, it would be a fine end to all the traditional hype. Browning BAR vs Panther AR-10 what a story it will make. Ft.Polk Shooting Complex, hey you know what an M110 Sniper Rifle is the same thing bet I can get Uncle Sam to lone me one for a little while.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    This is my own personal opinion, but I disagree with using any sort of assault-type or military type firearm for hunting. I was born and raised into a family of hunters, and I've learned that every gun has its place. AK-47, Mini-14, ARs, and the like... I just don't agree with it. It doesn't seem very "sportsmans-like". I believe a true, serious, and dedicated big game hunter is one that hunts with the traditional tools such as bolt actions and single shots. Just my opinion.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    I was raised in a family of hunters too. That has nothing to do with sporting. One clean shot from a 308 in a Panther, Browning, Remington, Winchester, or Beneilli all semi-auto rifles that look different but do the same thing. Any semi-auto can be misused in a hunting situation. We have all seen the guy with buck fever blasting away with an auto and not hitting anything. You could do that with a bolt action.

I think a match of the Browning and the Panther is a good idea. But I already know the outcome....all you have to do is go to DPMS Panther arms and see the targets from everyday guys, not pro shooters, and see what these rifles will do. They are just plain good hunting rifles highly accurate and dependable. Go see for yourself and then show me that many groups shot with a BAR that can match any of them.

Truth is, a match between a Panther and a BAR would be a waste of time for the Panther.

Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I was raised in a family of hunters too. That has nothing to do with sporting. One clean shot from a 308 in a Panther, Browning, Remington, Winchester, or Beneilli all semi-auto rifles that look different but do the same thing. Any semi-auto can be misused in a hunting situation. We have all seen the guy with buck fever blasting away with an auto and not hitting anything. You could do that with a bolt action.

I think a match of the Browning and the Panther is a good idea. But I already know the outcome....all you have to do is go to DPMS Panther arms and see the targets from everyday guys, not pro shooters, and see what these rifles will do. They are just plain good hunting rifles highly accurate and dependable. Go see for yourself and then show me that many groups shot with a BAR that can match any of them.

Truth is, a match between a Panther and a BAR would be a waste of time for the Panther.

I sure hope DPMS is paying you to write that hogwash. Lets find out, You buy a Panther 308 off the rack and I will buy an FNAR off the rack and We let a neutral party shoot both and lets have a friendly wadger the loser pays for the winners rifle. Talk is cheap.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I must admit... I love a lot of different types of guns. There is something special about a traditional rifle with a fine wooden stock.

However, there are times where it is nice to have a "work gun," so to speak. A stainless bolt action with a synthetic stock; or even an AR type platform.

Some guns look radically different than most of us are used to when we talk about hunting rifles. However, they're still "tools of the trade."

That being said, I don't think people should be running around with 30 round mags in their ARs to go deer hunting. That's taking the sport out of it. I believe that you should make the first shot count.

It all boils down to personal preference. I'm perfectly fine with someone using just about any firearm they want as long as they use it responsibly and ethicly as a hunter.

Top Bottom