AR-15 perm Carry Handle + scope HELP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • choff9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Kenner
    hey guys i just received a scope that i ordered last week and it is larger than i thought but read some reviews and people have said it works great on ARs

the question i have (if anyone knows) is that i have a permanent carry handle on my AR (it's an old school Armalite) and i've added a rail (attached to the carry handle) to be able to attach this scope. the scope seems to be angled down oddly. i've tried turning the rail (thinking of course that maybe i had put it on backwards) but it hasn't changed the angle.

i'm not sure if this is a problem or if it's supposed to be angled down i'll be posting a picture soon to be able to give everyone an idea of what it looks like.

please if anyone has any knowledge about this i would love some input thanks

AR w Scope.jpg

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Pull off the lower and bolt, set the upper on a rest, look thru the barrel and out it on a target 25yds away. Now move your crosshairs to the target, check your bore frequently to be sure it doesnt move.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Why not get a flat-top upper half and swap the barrel to this. Then you could mount the scope with some good rings and have a very good set-up. The other option is to get a propper base for your present upper and remount your scope. The problem with this is the height of the scope, you might not have enough adjustment in your scope to get it sighted in. Also, you will have trouble getting a proper head position behind this set-up.

Beauxdog

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Looks like the rear of the rail might not be seating fully in the channel. Can you look thru the rear of the sight channel on the handle and see if the rail is solidly down in the channel? Might take some minor fileing on the rail.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    There is a possibility that you might have problems with the eye relief if you use the scope/mount as-is. Many of us that use the nose-on-the-charging-handle have difficulty in adjusting to a scope that is set further back. My solution was to use a short scope on a mount similar to yours, and also to use a handle mount that's cantilevered forward slightly. Click photos to enlarge.

View attachment 27991View attachment 27992View attachment 27993

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    There is a possibility that you might have problems with the eye relief if you use the scope/mount as-is. Many of us that use the nose-on-the-charging-handle have difficulty in adjusting to a scope that is set further back. My solution was to use a short scope on a mount similar to yours, and also to use a handle mount that's cantilevered forward slightly. Click photos to enlarge.

View attachment 27991View attachment 27992View attachment 27993
    Why didn't you ditch the carry handle and use a cantilevered one piece?

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Why didn't you ditch the carry handle and use a cantilevered one piece?

Choff9 was talking about a fixed carry handle AR15. I just grabbed the nearest AR15 (which happened to have a removable handle) to illustrate what the cantilevered mount looked like. My own fixed-handle Armalite is a little harder to get to, in another safe. I usually use a Zmount with a red dot sight forward mounted.

View attachment 28024

Top Bottom