AR 15 uppers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Anybody ever try the Surplus Ammo receiver mentioned above?? Complete lower Aluminum receiver for 164.99 seems kinda hard to beat if you want a forged lower..

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I can see no wear on the hammer if it's a smooth bearing surface. I think my concern would be stress cracking around the receiver extension. I guess I'm lost at the value issue. For $500 I can get A PC/jse gun, or for $600 I can get a dpms. Heck probably $500 for a used dpms. At $700 I can get a good used bm or S&W

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    I agree - Polymer has no place in guns. I heard about some Austrian idiot a while back that was making polymer pistols. Who ever heard of such????

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Are you comparing glock to plum crazy?

I have nothing against plum crazy or properly constructed polymer guns.

I just don't see the value.

I love ACRs, polymer lower... Magpul and glock have a slightly larger customer base and a few more samples in the wild. Even they have issues.

All I'm saying, without causing any controversy is I think it's a false economy.

Polymer definitely has a place in firearms, we see more of it every day.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    With those surplus ammo lowers, I cannot imagine a reason to get a PC.

Not sure those uppers were around when I got my PC. And I paid less than half the price-- more so after shipping and transfer would be concerned. :D

More than anything, I snagged the PC to help out on a group buy and to see for myself what the polymer lower was all about. Frankly, I kinda want it to break. Is that sick to say?

There's also the issue of weight, although I'm sure it's not a ton. If you're just lugging something back and forth between the closet and the car, the car and the firing line, and back again, durability isn't a huge concern but weight very well may be. If you're shooting area is a "hike" from the nearest road, even more so. And if you've got a tiny little girlfriend and want her to help tote stuff around... Well, you get the idea.

Just playing devil's advocate here, really. I bought it impulsively, for so little money it was impossible to pass up, and to help a few other people out in getting a deal.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I would buy one to check it out, those reasons you listed are 100% valid reasons (IMo) to buy one. For a primary or backup rifle, I don't see it.

I will change my mind if I see compelling reasons to. Polymer does have some neat characteristics, but it would have to be done right.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I guess I'm odd bc I treat $2k ARs like that. Its why I buy good ones so I can treat them that way and not care.

You've used them in anger. And frankly, that's the plan-- get the best so you CAN treat them that way and still get good results. Hopefully, I'll never be in that boat-- but I know I won't have a problem running them hard if it happens. In the meantime, I baby the "good ones" (pretty much saving the "best") so that they're in tip-top shape when the abuse necessarily begins.

And I am totally with you and goteron when it comes to a first or even second rifle. This is... well... without getting into specifics... not my first or second. :o

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    You could also go the route of buying a complete kit minus the lower receiver like THIS and the matching it with one of the Palmetto State Armory lowers.

Basically with that combo all you need is a mag and Bam! There you go inexpensive AR

You are also gaining experience by building the rifle yourself

The price break down:
    Lower - $57 Shipped
    Upper Kit ~ $460 Shipped
    Transfer - $15 from Gene's
    Mag - $8

Total - $540, not bad especially when you can say I built this myself :D

You can also add Chrome Lining to the barrel for another $50 but if you were just looking for a functional shooter it is not necessary...

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you are still looking, Palmetto state armory has lowers for $50 and uppers for about $400. You could get a rifle built for less than $600. I hear that PSA uses Daniel Defense barrels but I have no verification of that, unfortunately.

nineteenhundred

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Near Monroe
    I think the PCF lower will be ok, I plan to get one myself. I went with an Aero upper from Surplus Arms on my NODAKSPUD lower. It seems to be a good one.
    I also think that if you are spending money on a firearm for home/self defense, you should only spend what you don't mind giving up should you have to use it. You may not get it back for a long time and it may not be in the same shape when you do.
    If you use it for work, spend more for reliability.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I'd rather spend enough to get the best I can for HD. Not getting your rifle back does not equal not getting to see your kids again.

So I lose a $1k rifle, or all the guns in my safe....

nineteenhundred

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Near Monroe
    Thats exactly what I said, 'spend what you don't mind giving up', but I don't feel any less protected with my $200 870 than with my $1600 rifle or my $500 rifle, or any other gun in the safe.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I'd rather spend enough to get the best I can for HD. Not getting your rifle back does not equal not getting to see your kids again.

So I lose a $1k rifle, or all the guns in my safe....

+Eleventybillion

I have a (knowledgeable) friend that insists it's silly to carry an expensive pistol as your EDC, because you may one day lose it. (The same could be said for HD.)

Provided it offers even a TINY advantage (durability, reliability, accuracy, speed, etc.), I'll gladly give up the most expensive weapon I own for the sake of protecting my life and/or that of someone I love.

It's silly and potentially dangerous to warn someone not to "spend too much" on a firearm that they plan on using for any kind of personal protection. If you can afford it, you absolutely SHOULD be spending top dollar, so long as the juice is worth the squeeze. (Not advocating getting ripped off here!)

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Thats exactly what I said, 'spend what you don't mind giving up', but I don't feel any less protected with my $200 870 than with my $1600 rifle or my $500 rifle, or any other gun in the safe.

I'd feel much less safe with an 870 over something else.

1. I never train with a shotgun
    2. I don't want to be shooting a scatter gun in my house when I can't account for all of the rounds
    3. Don't want to short stroke under pressure.
    4. I wouldn't feel all that great with a $500 rifle with no optics or light over a $3k Gun with a aim point and surefire. Or a pistol with a light and red dot

I would however feel fine with a $2k quality rifle over a $4k rifle.

I carry a M&P with red dot and TLR-3 (well I will when I get my holster.. Another story)

It's a $1300 gun, but I feel more confident shooting it than a gun with irons. So that's what I'll do.

nineteenhundred

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Near Monroe
    I never meant to start a war with my comment. I just don't think you should try to make the guy fell like he is buying crap just because that is not your personal choice. We are not all wealthy with a safe full of guns to choose from.
    The shotgun is not the right choice for you if your skill is so poor with one. I was/am trained in its use. Back in the day we could not carry rifles on duty. Use your rifle by all means. You must train with whatever you choose.
    As to using my tricked out tacticool 'assault rifle' for HD, I veiw it as a liability in court when I try to explain why I chose it to shoot an intruder. Even if I took all the rifle courses offered it would be hard to explain in court why I was training to shoot humans if I was not an LEO. I know that is not the whole reason for the courses, but that is the most obvious to those uninitiated into our group. I understand the reasons for all the tact stuff we put on our rifles, but it will still look like you were 'over-preparing' for an encounter to a hostile jury. It may even appear eager. My opinion. You must also educate yourself on the aftermath of your decision in choosing a HD weapon.You may not admit it but we still live in a PC country and you may have to sell that safe full of guns to defend yourself in civil and criminal court in many jurisdictions. There is much more to it than picking the best gun. I say use the high dollar toys to play, keep it simple to defend, practice to become competent. Have fun with the tactical training if your not LE, but do some 'standard training' also, NRA classes/matches are good. Don't let them frame you as a 'wanna be' if you aren't military or LEO. Again my opinion. I'm sure we don't agree. I find that happens a lot as I get older. I told my Dad that he was wrong a lot when I was younger....who knew. Whatever you do, think past the blast and have a plan.
    My family is no less important to me than yours is to you. I want to still be there after the legal dust settles to continue to protect them.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Agree. Not trying to start anything either. Not trying to make anyone feel like their gun is not good. My point is that you can find a used gun that will be a better value for the same money spent.

I do feel like you need to take on the problem one step at a time.

1. Stop the threat - I want the absolute highest chance of success, therefore the gun that will give me that
    2. Legal ramifications - pray the legal system works and take the punishment if it doesn't. I'd rather be bankrupt than injured or have used a weapon with high liability.

Generally I think shotguns are a poor choice for HD. They are long, low mag capacity, and harder to operate under stress. A pistol with quality ammo or a short rifle.

Someone once said. "what can a shotgun do that a carbine can't"

My carry pistol has a red dot and a light. Both serve justifiable purposes. Light for positive identification, red dot for more accurate shot placement. Would they label me crazy, well Im a Christian, pro life, and don't believe in government subsidies, so I think I'm already a domestic terrorist by the states definition.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom