AR Pistol Build, thoughts and input?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    I'm on the fence about doing a 9mm build or a 5.56 build. Either would be with a 10.5" barrel. Also, the build would be done sometime in January or February more than likely. That will give me enough time to bounce back from the holiday spendings.The price of the uppers and Sig brace would be about the same for either build. My main reason for leaning towards 9mm would be to run it suppressed for home defense shortly after I got it put together. I'd be using a PSA colt SMG mag adaptor in a standard lower to allow me to swap to 5.56 later on if I wanted. I've got nearly all the parts picked out just was wondering what you guys thought about it. Maybe some pics of your 9mm builds.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I'm going to say the opposite. I built a 223 and a 9mm sbr. I rarely take the .223 out and shoot the suppressed 9mm quite a bit more. But it depends on what/where/and how you plan to use it. I like to have my 9mm with me in the woods when I'm piddling so I can shoot whatever without hearing protection. And for the ranges I can see on my property it has more than enough distance.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I would suggest taking a look at what and where you'd be able to practice regularly with the weapon first. If you're not in the vicinity of an outdoor range, then I would go with the pistol caliber first... it will allow you to train and become proficient with the firearm, needed if you plan on getting something for home defense. Then take a look at how you're employing the weapon... a 9mm is going to be easier on your ears if you're not firing with hearing protection. Suppressed is even better!

If you're primary goal is home defense, I would go with the 9mm. Then later, just remove the adapter swap out your .223/5.56 upper and even get a .22lr conversion for it (or build out a dedicated .22lr upper, depends on how OCD you are... I would need all separate uppers! lol). It seems that you've already decided on the SB15.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    For home defense a rifle caliber is a better choice than 9mm. It would certainly end the threat more quickly.

screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    I have access to 40 acres to shoot and hunt on as well as my friends land. I have a Norinco 84S to shoot 5.56 if I so choose to for now. I just want a low recoiling, decently quite and defensively effective firearm to defend myself, gf, and her son if the time ever comes. I plan to build a 5.56 in the future just have been torn between a 9mm or 5.56 first.

Last edited:

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    9mm would be a lot of fun to shoot at the range etc. But, IMO I would go .223/5.56 to start out if defense is the goal.

screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    Are you local? The look I'm going for is pretty close to that if I go 5.56.
    PM400_FDE-PSB-detail-Hero.jpg

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Shi! I am 5 hours away... that sucks man yes its in 5.56 I just got a knockoff of an CRD on there its supposed to make the sound go down range like a flaming pig and way less muzzle flash also... Need to shoot it to find out, it was also a hell of a lot cheaper than an CRD and a flaming pig... Any good ranges there? I may ride my bike up if there is a decent one.... make a weekend out of it...

screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    I've got 40 acres that I hunt on. And my friends got some land. It will be January before I buy anything like an upper. I don't know of any decent ranges around here. But I might have some decent targets by then.

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    9mm build I sold last year
    standard.jpg

standard.jpg

It was cool, but I really don't miss it. Not much better than a pistol really.

223 build that I currently have
    standard.jpg

Vector AK krink pistol and 223 pistol.
    standard.jpg

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I've got 40 acres that I hunt on. And my friends got some land. It will be January before I buy anything like an upper. I don't know of any decent ranges around here. But I might have some decent targets by then.

The trip would be in January anyway... I would be a motorcycle, so it would be interesting.... only issue I have is that with the CRD(knockoff) and the extended sig brace tube(awesome), it doesnt fit in my backpack without breaking it down, it used to when all it wore was a pistol tube and A2 flashhider.... Think I need a bigger backpack... if you think those "targets"will be good then I may make the trip (my bike gets 70 mpg, makes the trip able to be done on what alot of people have floating around in the truck)

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Why a 10 inch 9mm? I have a 5.5 inch 9mm ar and love it. Don't see the need for the extra barrel length. Not only that. Looks really cool with the suppressor recessed in your hand guards

Top Bottom