ar problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turkish

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm thinking he's calling me stupid because I'm not yet ready to say that the guy I bought it from purposely sold me a lemon.
    No, sir. I am not calling you stupid or implying that you are. Maybe a touch hardheaded, but most of my best friends can be described that way, too.:)

Kudos to the guys on the thread that have offered to help you. The average intelligence, class, and good sense around here makes TD look like a ---- can't really find a word to analogize it.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Hey guys, thanks for all the help during this thread. I bought some higher quality ammo, American Eagle and Remington. Both of which function fine in the rifle. However, after shooting a few rounds I checked my ammo for anything interesting. I noticed that the neck of the cartridge was bent slightly with some minor scratches around the dent. Any idea what could cause this?
    IMAG0451.jpg

IMAG0452.jpg

After going over the rifle again I noticed these brass colored scratches on the upper receiver. They seem to be curved like the tip of the casing hit it and was deflected. Is this normal?

IMAG0453.jpg

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    No but for the 10th time your Gas System is ****ed. The rifle will not function correctly until you accept that and correct it.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I punched the roll pin out. After removing the roll pin the gas tube would slide back into the receiver appx 1/4".

I got the front sight off with the help of some more lube and a small hammer. Here is what I found underneath it.
    IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

Here is the picture of the gas port
    IMAG0382.jpg

Looking at these pics, and the info gibven in your FS thread I can see how the previous owner turned the barrel down. I have a feeling the gas block journal is now smaller than the std .750. He may have turned it down to .625, as that is the popular smaller gas block size. Do you have a pair of calipers or a micrometer to measure the diameter of the barrel?

nineteenhundred

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Near Monroe
    Yes, I turned it down to .625. The guy I bought the barrel from galled the .750 journal badly. It was an M4 profile. It is very tight now as 4x4 found while removing it. I did not have any taper pins at the time so I threaded the FSB holes and used those screws to keep it solid. They are easily replaced with taper pins if you get a 2/0 reamer and set up the holes if you want. The two new barrel holes were not reuse of old holes, they were new holes setup on a mill and drilled in alignment with the existing FSB holes. The threads will disappear if you ream it.
    There are probably thousands of rifles with gas blocks secured by set screws in dimples only, no through pins of any kind. It might have looked a little 'bubba' but it was hella strong. It was not a show rifle or a replica of any kind so cosmetics made no difference to me. The FSB was aligned properly and secured tighter than most. Period.
    Like I said, I fired a few hundred rounds through this upper with no problems. I only shoot milsurp ammo though, which is a little hotter than commercial.
    I never fired that lower. it was brand new. With the ejection that violent, you may need a heavier buffer.

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Yes, I turned it down to .625. The guy I bought the barrel from galled the .750 journal badly. It was an M4 profile. It is very tight now as 4x4 found while removing it. I did not have any taper pins at the time so I threaded the FSB holes and used those screws to keep it solid. They are easily replaced with taper pins if you get a 2/0 reamer and set up the holes if you want. The two new barrel holes were not reuse of old holes, they were new holes setup on a mill and drilled in alignment with the existing FSB holes. The threads will disappear if you ream it.
    There are probably thousands of rifles with gas blocks secured by set screws in dimples only, no through pins of any kind. It might have looked a little 'bubba' but it was hella strong. It was not a show rifle or a replica of any kind so cosmetics made no difference to me. The FSB was aligned properly and secured tighter than most. Period.
    Like I said, I fired a few hundred rounds through this upper with no problems. I only shoot milsurp ammo though, which is a little hotter than commercial.
    I never fired that lower. it was brand new. With the ejection that violent, you may need a heavier buffer.

Makes sense, I had a feeling you did something like that by looking at the pics.

Since 4x4demon used a different bcg that may be the culprit. Someone with intamate knowledge of ar workings needs to eyeball the bcg and make sure it is assembled correctly and the extractor is working correclty. I have a feeling it is something simple...

nineteenhundred

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Near Monroe
    I think it is simply a matter of gas system/recoil system/ammo quality balancing. Most "parts AR's" experience this to some level. It certainly is not whether screws or pins hold the FSB in place.

nineteenhundred

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Near Monroe
    Exactly what have you done to it since I sold it to you?
    1) how did you remove the castle nut on the buffer tube? wrench, punch, chisel, screwdriver, hammer?
    2) how did you retighten it?
    3) did you dent the buffer tube at all? it is very thin under the threaded area.
    4) how did you hold the receiver while you worked the nut?
    5) are there any scuff marks on the BCG?
    6) is the buffer marked with any number? is there scuffing on the buffer?
    7) after you replaced the pushpin was the receiver and upper fit still tight?
    8) when you removed and replaced the FSB did you put it all back like you found it? with the screws? gas tube roll pin?
    9) does the BCG slip easily over the gas tube when the bolt goes into battery without ammo?
    10) does it function the same with the old magazine I gave you as it does with your magazine?
    11) do you have access to a known good magazine?
    12) will it function if you single load it and if you only load 4 or 5 rounds in the mag?
    13) inspect the lockup lugs on the bolt for burrs or abnomalities. I know you don't know exactly what to look for, but something may be obvious?
    14) how much lube are you using on the BCG?

If not, explain

Last edited:

dmurph

Serious as dick cancer!
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Huntsville, TX
    A few suggestions...

http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar15m416inchbarrelpreban-1-1.aspx

http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar15carbinecarbuffer-1.aspx

Total: 182.12 shipped
    Benefit: New barrel and fsb, heavy buffer to help with brass deformation and recoil
    Why: With these parts installed by a competent individual using the correct tools and methods all problems should be rectified
    End Result: Fully functional weapon with new barrel and correctly set gas system, spare barrel that can be cut down to shorter length, valuable knowledge gained in the operation of the weapon platform and how to trouble shoot future problems.

P.S. this post is in no way meant to talk down on or blame anyone, I simply am offering my suggestions on how to resolve the issue and provide a resource for quality parts and advice based on my own personnel experience. Good luck and consider taking rockmup up on his offer to help!

Last edited:

nineteenhundred

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Near Monroe
    ...and after he spends this money and it possibly does the same thing where does he go?

He may as well buy a new rifle, he will have spent enough to buy one.
    It will be solved without him spending so much.

No offense taken or hard feeling on my part.
    I will help all I can. I just wish I had been involved much earlier. I only found out about it by accident while browsing a couple days ago.

Top Bottom