Ar15 flash hider questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    I am looking to replace the flash hider on my bushmaster carbon15. Does anyone have a good recommendations? I noticed red jacket makes one and was wondering how well it worked? The stock bushmaster does not seem very effective to me.

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    I changed my birdcage with an FHM c2 and thought that would help on follow up shots. Then I went to the BattleComp 1.0 and was AMAZED!! All u need is the 1.0 depending on barrel length and if u will have a can. Worth the money!!!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Totally and utterly dependent on your needs, current and future.

If you're going to suppress the rifle at some point in time, it may be a good idea to pick out a muzzle device now that will suit your needs. That's a topic that definitely deserves its own thread, or multi-page instruction booklet...

If you feel the need to deafen yourself in close confines or indoors, or your buddies at the range or (God forbid) if you find yourself in a SHTF situation and are fortunate to have companions, go ahead and get a compensator. Lord knows the fierce recoil impulse of the 5.56/.223 is hard to manage in the most ergonomic shoulder mounted weapon system on the planet... :mamoru:

If you're looking to just reduce the flash signature, the Vortex and the AAC non-mount Blackout (or the mount, if you desire it) are definitely at the top of the list. The Vortex has some nifty design features, but is rumored to actually wear out at an accelerated rate; the AAC is designed with long term durability in mind. I was a non-believer for a while, but they are both DRAMATICALLY improved in terms of function over the standard A2 birdcage. So long as the tuning fork effect doesn't drive you crazy (and even OCD me isn't bothered by it), you can't ask for much more.

Last edited:

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    Don't listen to the guy about deafening the others at the range. Every time I've shot with the Battlecomp I had people next to me and even asked if the thought it was louder than normal and not once have I gotten a yes to that. The recoil on a 5.56 is tolerable but I guarantee you that I can fire 3 shots on target faster than the birdcage guy will have his second shot fired that may or maynot be on target. It's that simple. Look for videos on YouTube of the Battlecomp at night. The signature is very small but I don't care if it's loud and shows in my HOUSE that I'm protecting. I want to pump the most accurate amount of lead in a target at the fastest rate.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    also even if its NOT pinned, you will have to heat it up (pretty fkin hot) to "melt" the thread lock before it starts to move, I just replaced one on my Spikes 5.45 and this thing must have been glued w gorilla glue because i was HARDDDDDDDDDD

be careful since you can mess up the threads

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    BCs are definitely louder. Not sure who youre shooting against to get the 3-1 shot ratio. It shoots flatter, but it's not worth the noise, flash, concussion.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Have you run drills for time with and without the BC? What are your total times, shot splits, transition splits.

I've owned about 4 BCs on various guns. They work well, no doubt, but too many negatives for combat shooting in my book

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Looking mainly to reduce flash.

AAC Blackout. All of the photographs (I don't know all the terms, but it was done with ISO blah blah blah time-exposure something or other) I have seen of it place it VERY SLIGHTLY ahead of the Vortex, and it has thicker tines.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I have a BC on my 300. It's pretty loud, but does what it is supposed to do.

I use YKM phantom hiders on my other rifles. (mainly for the coolness)

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    AAC Blackout. All of the photographs (I don't know all the terms, but it was done with ISO blah blah blah time-exposure something or other) I have seen of it place it VERY SLIGHTLY ahead of the Vortex, and it has thicker tines.

Which one? I just looked them up and they make a few different versions. First one I saw was the 18t an then I looked at the non mount as mention in this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom