AR15 stock/buffer kits

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I am "building" my first SBR. Since this is something I have planned on doing, I am going full premium douche on it.

Anyways, it is going to be a 10.5" Noveske 300BLK on top of a Spikes Tactical lower. The lower arrives within the next business day or so, as should the parts kit. This rifle will be shot suppressed and unsuppressed.

I am exploring stock kit options, and have recently come into a lot of talk about the VLTOR A-5 line. I've read a lot of good about it. I am not much of a fan of the stock itself (EMOD) but the tube and buffer/spring are appealing.

Does anyone have any experience with this setup, specifically in SBRs?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    How long ago did you fill out your form 1? If you didn't yet, I wouldn't get the stock kit just yet. May be seen as constructive intent. Also, since you want to go "full douche" why not get a billet lower like a noveske, seekins, santan, or mega. As far as stocks, vltor makes top notch products, some do not like the zig zag line on the stock if they have a beard. I do not have facial hair so I don't have an issue with my vltor stock.

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    Everybody has their own idea about what a rifle should be or how they want it to preform. If you have your mind made up you should pursue it.
    Shoot it for a while and change out what works and what doesn't.

I'm not being critical. You have an idea and you should go for it but there are better barrels for the Blackout than Noveske. Rainier Arms has a lot of top quality barrels. I also prefer to run an SLR RIFLEWORKS adjustable gas blocks. The pinned one and not the clamp on. There's nothing wrong with the clamp on type, it's just not difficult to pin them myself.

Again, not being critical of the VLTOR stock. I prefer a mil-spec tube, a good flat spring(Tubbs I think), and maybe a different buffer. Supposedly you need an H2 for an SBR. I also much prefer a Magpul SL stock. It works well with a sling

Regardless, I built 2 ARs in 300blk. The SBR has an 8.5 bbl. This one is for sub-sonic loads. My 14.5bbl(flashhider pinned and welded) is for supersonic loads.
    The 14.5bbl will shoot 5/8" groups at 100yds

My range in the back yard gets an awful lot of use. The SBR suppressed with sub-sonics is my favorite. I shoot this rifle many times a day. Monthy
    ammo cost are high

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    How long ago did you fill out your form 1? If you didn't yet, I wouldn't get the stock kit just yet. May be seen as constructive intent. Also, since you want to go "full douche" why not get a billet lower like a noveske, seekins, santan, or mega. As far as stocks, vltor makes top notch products, some do not like the zig zag line on the stock if they have a beard. I do not have facial hair so I don't have an issue with my vltor stock.

I am sending off the form 1 this upcoming week. I do appreciate the advice, I am just looking a step ahead. The lower is a Spikes billet.

I usually keep facial hair, so that was a concern of mine. I am looking at a Magpul ACS or STR to seat on the tube.

Everybody has their own idea about what a rifle should be or how they want it to preform. If you have your mind made up you should pursue it.
    Shoot it for a while and change out what works and what doesn't.

I'm not being critical. You have an idea and you should go for it but there are better barrels for the Blackout than Noveske. Rainier Arms has a lot of top quality barrels. I also prefer to run an SLR RIFLEWORKS adjustable gas blocks. The pinned one and not the clamp on. There's nothing wrong with the clamp on type, it's just not difficult to pin them myself.

Again, not being critical of the VLTOR stock. I prefer a mil-spec tube, a good flat spring(Tubbs I think), and maybe a different buffer. Supposedly you need an H2 for an SBR. I also much prefer a Magpul SL stock. It works well with a sling

Regardless, I built 2 ARs in 300blk. The SBR has an 8.5 bbl. This one is for sub-sonic loads. My 14.5bbl(flashhider pinned and welded) is for supersonic loads.
    The 14.5bbl will shoot 5/8" groups at 100yds

My range in the back yard gets an awful lot of use. The SBR suppressed with sub-sonics is my favorite. I shoot this rifle many times a day. Monthy
    ammo cost are high

I appreciate the insight and experience. I have never owned an SBR; actually never operated one. I currently have a carbine that is a factory S&W.

As far as barrels, I am buying a complete upper. That's why I said "building" haha, I am only actually assembling the lower this time around. Next time I will go the extra mile.

I have a plan but I am very open minded as well.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    The vltor tube will work fine with any ar, I have one on my 10.5 inch noveske. I also run a lmt sop mod on that rifle, but run the magpul str on two other sbr's (seekins). I think you will be happy with the str, I had an acs which functioned fine on my sig716 that I no longer own. Great stock, can't really go wrong.

If your question is "should you go vltor on the buffer tube" then I would answer absolutely. Also any standard carbine spring should work fine in your set up. Depending on your gas system, you may also need an h2 buffer. I think you will be fine with a pistol gas system, but with a carbine gas system I would imagine you wouldn't get enough dwell time. I have a 300blk in 9 inch and 8.2, with 4 5.56's in 10.5. All of mine function fine with spikes t2 buffer

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    The vltor tube will work fine with any ar, I have one on my 10.5 inch noveske. I also run a lmt sop mod on that rifle, but run the magpul str on two other sbr's (seekins). I think you will be happy with the str, I had an acs which functioned fine on my sig716 that I no longer own. Great stock, can't really go wrong.

If your question is "should you go vltor on the buffer tube" then I would answer absolutely. Also any standard carbine spring should work fine in your set up. Depending on your gas system, you may also need an h2 buffer. I think you will be fine with a pistol gas system, but with a carbine gas system I would imagine you wouldn't get enough dwell time. I have a 300blk in 9 inch and 8.2, with 4 5.56's in 10.5. All of mine function fine with spikes t2 buffer

Yea, the VLTOR A5 kit minus the stock is what I was eyeballing. The CTR stock on my S&W is great, so I wouldn't have any doubts on the STR.

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    Where do you live? I'm starting a custom gun shop in Pine Grove. 16 miles West of Amite on Hwy 16. It's also about 16 miles East of Denham Springs.
    If you want to shoot a 300BLK SBR, PM me. I don't know why the address disappeared from my profile.

There really isn't a tremendous amount to torquing a barrel on to an upper. It's no problem and you can do it at my shop if you like. CThis would be much better than buying a complete upper
    I would rather go over all the pros and cons in person anyway. There are a lot of things that can be done to an AR. Some of them important and some not

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Where do you live? I'm starting a custom gun shop in Pine Grove. 16 miles West of Amite on Hwy 16. It's also about 16 miles East of Denham Springs.
    If you want to shoot a 300BLK SBR, PM me. I don't know why the address disappeared from my profile.

There really isn't a tremendous amount to torquing a barrel on to an upper. It's no problem and you can do it at my shop if you like. CThis would be much better than buying a complete upper
    I would rather go over all the pros and cons in person anyway. There are a lot of things that can be done to an AR. Some of them important and some not

I do appreciate the offer, but I am all the way in Hattiesburg and my schedule seldom allows me to get that way during business hours. I want a standalone rifle, I'm not against modifying my S&W but I'd like to give it a sister.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have an STR stock and I'm never going back to the CTR. I've also heard good things about the Bravo B5 Bravo and Sopmod stocks. One more to look at, especially for an SBR, is the new Magpul SL-K stock, which is their SL stock made smaller specifically for SBR's.

GetImage.ashx

As far as Buffer Assemblies go, just make sure you get a quality Mil-Spec tube and choose a buffer that will work well with your setup. If you're eventually going suppressed, you'll want to look at different Buffer weights and possibly a charging handle that will mitigate the gas to your face.

Check out the BCM Buffer Assembly, you can choose which buffer you want.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Stock-Hardware-Mounting-Kit-Mil-Spec-p/bcm-stock-hardware-kit.htm

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    That stock in the picture is the Magpul SL. I've changed out most of my ARs to this stock. It's that good
    The rifle also has a 20rd magazine. This makes a big difference in weight and bulkiness.

The rifle would look a lot cleaner without the BUIS. You may like them but if you're getting into such intense firefights as to need them, it might be better to consider moving to a better neighborhood. I'm not really sure of the need for quad rails as everyone puts covers on them.
    A JP or YHM Customizable will allow you to easily put a rail where you need it

A slick side looks cleaner than an upper with a forward assist.

Also, if you're getting into such intense firefights as to need BUIS, you may want to consider adding a bayonet. You know, just in case you're out of ammo and really need to go caveman on the enemy.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Going with the VLTOR A5 tube, spring, and buffer. Will be going for a magpul stock probably, but I will make that decision next week or so

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I find that I'm not able to get on my optic as quickly with the sopmod / broad cheek weld style stocks. B5 Bravo is a winner for me on SBRs that are meant for run and gun. B5 Sopmod enhanced gets my vote for more precision style shooting.

I've never found any sort of locking device to be necessary on either one. Just fluff marketing imo.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom