AR9 Build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I've beed having fun building ARs and decided to build one in 9mm. PSA had a sale last week on a complet upper for $320 so, I ordered one.
    This is what I got.
    24zxawo.jpg

PSA 16" Carbine 9mm 1/10 Melonite Freedom Upper with Ramped BCG and CH.

Lets just say I was not happy. Oh, there was nothing wrong with the upper, it looked great. What I didn't like is it came with a slick side upper. I didn't take a good look at the pics when I ordered the upper and didn't realize that upper was a slick side. So you can say that I was more unhappy with myself.
    I called PSA and asked if there was anything different about the 9mm uppers and was told that barrel would work on any mil-spect upper. That made me happy because I had a new upper in my parts box.
    I went into my shop and in a few mins I was happy with the new upper.

2r2rlgk.jpg

There is nothing wrong with a slick side upper, but I need to have a dust cover. ARs just look funny without one.

28gul1j.jpg

The AR9 is a blow back and doesn't need a gas tube so PSA used a screw to hold the front handguard ring in place.

o0583k.jpg

The bolt is pretty solid.

k0rccx.jpg

2hxpnh5.jpg

2rejtdx.jpg

I was going to order one of the PSA lowers with the 9mm insert but read that most of the problems with that type of setup is the magazines. Some brands are not so good and they can cost a bit.
    So I looked into the lowers that use the Glock magazines and found that JoBob Outfitters had Bilit lower for $150 with free shipping.
    Here are a few more pics.

t4yf77.jpg

2433rs4.jpg

125jcj7.jpg

2u54ysk.jpg

zv3hb5.jpg

2whr23r.jpg

Everything went together great. I put standard M4 Furnitur on for now.
    I have MOE sets in OD Green, black, FDE, and brown camo. I also have a set of the Slim in OD green, just don't know which one I want to use.
    The only thing I need now is a heavy buffer.
    30de055.jpg

2qxn5go.jpg

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I took it to the range fot a test run. I put 75 rounds through it and I have to say, I love this little carbine. I ran 115gr and 124gr FMJ and it shot great. I even ran some Speer Gold dot +P JHP in it and it didn't miss a lick.
    I'm still going to pick up a heavy buffer and see how it works with it.
    No need for the 9mm deflector. It ejects almost stright out to the side. Cases don't even hit the A2 deflector on the upper.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I stopped in at Aklys Defense today while at lunch and picked up a Spike Tactcal T3 Heavy Buffer at a great price.
    Back at work I had some trouble. I put the heavy buffer in and fired one round, that's where the trouble started. The buffer was stuck in the buffer tube for some reason and would not come out.
    When I got home I removed the buffer tube and had a feeling that it was where the trouble was coming from. I had to slam the end of the buffer tube on a piece of wood to get the buffer and spring out. I then shined a light into the buffer tube and it looked like a 3 year old with a hand drill had cut the inside of the tube.
    The milspec buffer worked in the tube but the Spick buffer was just a bit wider and was getting stuck on the ruffley cut walls.
    I got out a new buffer tube and both buffers fit great. I then installed the new buffer tube and everything was good again.
    My son Isaac helped me dress up the carbine with a FDE stock set.
    I'll take it to work tomorrow amd see how it shoots with the heavy buffer.
    2daydrc.jpg

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Some 9mm ar's will need a buffer spacer (maybe Bc the cartridge is shorter so it doesn't have to go all the way back). I happen to have an extra spikes one (I don't use it Bc I use a 9mm specific buffer) but if you are ever in New Orleans on a weekend, and wanna give it a try at the range. More than likely I can meet you up and you can give it a try.

I also have a 9mm ar, but mine had a 4.5 inch tros barrel and uses colt smg mags

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Everything is working fine and recoil is very smooth.
    I contacted CDNN and told them I had trouble with the buffer tube. They said no problem and they were shipping me a new one.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    9mm ARs are awesome. The recoil and report is very mild. Since I reload 9mm the cost is almost cheaper than 22 rimfire. My first 9mm build was mostly RockRiver. I used their upper, mag block, buffer & spring. Everything worked just great. We also put 2 more together for co-workers and never had a problem. I sold mine to fund another project but have a 10" RR upper to build as a pistol until I can get a stamp for a SBR. This time I have a Hahn top load mag block. We have already tried this combo on a SBR receiver and it worked everytime. Looking forward to getting this build together.

Beauxdog

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I ordered a Schuster Forward Assist Plug for the AR-15 from Midway. They are made of Delrin and weight almost nothing.
    It came in today and had the roll pin with it. Only took a min. or two to install it.
    s405r7.jpg

I also got a charging handel with the extended latch.
    f4kzdj.jpg

Here it is all finished along with four 33 round mags.
    35avz36.jpg

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I finished my 9mm Glock lower build a few months ago. Used a RunnerRunner guns lower as they were the only place with stock wound up getting free shipping on it as a bonus. Used a Anderson arms lower build kit, a radical arms pistol buffer tube, a PSA 9mm buffer and bought a complete 7.5" upper with keymod rail from PSA with Glock hybrid bolt. Runs like a champ with no issues.

Just waiting on the damn Form 1 approval and a spacer for the Octane45 HD and I will be ready to rock and roll.

Top Bottom