Are Gun Sales Slowing in 2014?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    2014 a Year for Fewer Gun, Ammo Sales?

Business reports suggest 2014 gun sales may ebb, which may benefit consumers looking for their favorite brands on retail shelves.

By J. Scott Olmsted (RSS)

March 12, 2014

Media reports lately suggest gunmakers can expect good business in 2014, but not as good as last year.

The FBI released data for January gun background checks recently; it was about a third lower than the same month a year earlier. One gun industry analyst wrote that the negative monthly sales comparisons he's seen recently is a trend he expects to last through May or June.

A statement from Cabela’s chief executive Thomas Milner would seem to mirror that sentiment. “The surge in firearms and ammunition is clearly winding down,” he told the Wall Street Journal. 2013 fourth-quarter sales at Cabela’s were down 10 percent.

On the other hand, Smith & Wesson has increased its sales estimates for 2014. Said Smith & Wesson CEO James Debney to Bloomberg Business Week: “We continue to believe that our industry is in the midst of an underlying long-term growth trend and our objective is to grow faster than the market.”

Either way one looks at it raises a question: Does this mean the dearth of guns and ammo we’ve all noticed across the country is coming to a close? Could be. Reports suggest some parts of the country are still experiencing ammo shortages. That might continue until ammo manufacturers are able to turn their attention from high-demand lines (.223 Rem., .308 Win., .45 ACP, 9mm) that have dominated the market and focus on other lines, like .45-70 and .30-30, for instance.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    From my observation, AR15 sales are way down, especially lower end models. Everyone that wanted one "just because" during the panic got one. Most don't want another, can't afford another one, or have taken up the hobby and are moving on to better models. The bargain AR market is at rock bottom in my opinion, I don't think they'll ever be as cheap again as manufacturers stop overproducing to meet demand that has fallen off a cliff the prices will stabilize. I've heard there has been a big jump in smaller carry gun sales though as more people are carrying concealed across the country.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    just curious, because I genuinely don't know...

what are the "lower brands" of ar? I mean, if you had to compare them to cars for simple instruction, how do you pair them up? (cant wait to see which brands get "hyundai" and "ferrari")

I know Smith MP-22 and MP-15's are 400-600.0 all day right now, as are bushmasters.

I honestly have no idea which makes either a better or worse gun aside from caliber.

Last edited:

rm2092

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Harvey, La
    When will pistol ammo come down in price, I was just at Academy looking for some 40c ammo WTF. I could not think of buying another caliber pistol right now until prices come down.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

what are the "lower brands" of ar? I mean, if you had to compare them to cars for simple instruction, how do you pair them up? (cant wait to see which brands get "hyundai" and "ferrari")

I know Smith MP-22 and MP-15's are 400-600.0 all day right now, as are bushmasters.

I honestly have no idea which makes either a better or worse gun aside from caliber.

Answering that question would certainly lead to hurt feelings.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

When I say "lower end" I mean the budget brands such as PSA, DPMS, Delton, Bushmaster, etc. that they practically can't give away right now. Those companies ramped up production to meet a temporary demand, and that market dried up real quick. So now they're stuck trying to offload and it seems like they are getting cheaper every month.

On the other hand, companies such as BCM, Daniel Defense and Noveske are still selling faster than they can make them, and their prices have held strong. I think the panic brought a lot of new AR owners into the market, and there's a certain percentage that is learning more about the platform and buying better rifles.

My point was "sales are slowing" is a bit of an incorrect blanket statement. Some segments of the firearm market are flailing, while others are booming. And it's a silly statement anyway, as gun sales were at record highs the last couple years. So even if they are "down", I'd bet they are still overall higher than they were in years prior to the panic.

As far as which brands are lower end, price is a good indicator. Some do offer better value than others, but quality materials and construction simply cost more. I don't want to side derail this thread further with that stuff though. Search, it's been covered plenty.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    No car comparison Curt? I was kinda looking forward to seeing how many pintos never had their gas tank explode.

Top Bottom