Are red eared sliders edible?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I know that snappers and softshell turtles are decent eating, but does anyone have any experience with the little red eared bastards that pile onto logs by the dozen?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'd bet they are edible, but not sure how good they would taste. I'm betting muddy, like catfish from too small a pond. With enough hot sauce it wouldn't matter though.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Mais, you could eat anyting you could catch, but wit dat, you gon need a put a whole lotta onions, cha!

depositphotos_3636570-The-surprised-turtle.-A-vector-illustration.jpg

mwk1975

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Jackson, La
    Ok, I had a mammy growing up, her name was Pinky, Old black lady, could neither read nor write. I loved her fiercely. That being said I recall a bit of wisdom from her concerning the aforementioned turtles. She always referred to them as "stink pot" turtles. After cooking one once she told us that she figured out why they were called stink pot turtles, and I quote ".... 'cause they sho do stank up your pot...." I don't recall that she mentioned anything about taste, just that they smelled to high heavens.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    a stink pot is different than a red ear. a stinkpot may or may not be marked with color, but they have a high domed shell and a noticeable odur, compared to the flater shell of the slider and snappers.

ive eaten some sliders, like mentioned above, there isnt much meat on them. it would take about 2x the weight of a snapper to get the same meat.
    they are pretty oily and taste more fishy than a snapper or leatherback.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    All turtles in Louisiana are considered edible. As a matter of fact, any non-threatened species of turtle is considered acceptable for commercial grade turtle meat. There are some that aren't as favored over others like the mud turtles, but depending on the environment all others are good to go.

By order of importance here are Alligator Snapper(now protected), common snapper, softshell, diamond back terrapin, red-eared, and on down the line. The various sea turtle species are delicious too, but protected and shouldn't be considered. Most land turtles are not considered for eating.

With that stated, I wouldn't eat anything out of a sludge pond or a drainage canal.:nono:

southlaems

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Houma, LA
    From a novice......

Could you trap the turtles and put them in a pool for a few days/weeks in clean water with a filter/pump to assist in flushing them out like purging crawfish or rinsing crabs. Keep them as a pet for a few weeks in fresh clean water to rid them of the toxins and mud taste/smell?????????

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    From a novice......

Could you trap the turtles and put them in a pool for a few days/weeks in clean water with a filter/pump to assist in flushing them out like purging crawfish or rinsing crabs. Keep them as a pet for a few weeks in fresh clean water to rid them of the toxins and mud taste/smell?????????

Jim, I'm pretty sure it's more a function of their diet than the water in their system.

Certainly would be a better environment but the contaminants that a reptile can pick up would be more biological than dietary related. If a turtle were to contract a nasty disease in a drainage canal, it aint' getting rid of it by putting it in clean water. No matter how long you do it.

FWIW: Purging crabs and crawfish by rinsing or letting them sit in clean or salt laden water for a few minutes before cooking is a myth! However, they can be "purged" over time with the scenario you laid out for the turtle.

You aren't trying to build a case for eating a turtle or turtles from a sewer are you?:nono:

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All turtles in Louisiana are considered edible. As a matter of fact, any non-threatened species of turtle is considered acceptable for commercial grade turtle meat. There are some that aren't as favored over others like the mud turtles, but depending on the environment all others are good to go.

By order of importance here are Alligator Snapper(now protected), common snapper, softshell, diamond back terrapin, red-eared, and on down the line. The various sea turtle species are delicious too, but protected and shouldn't be considered. Most land turtles are not considered for eating.

With that stated, I wouldn't eat anything out of a sludge pond or a drainage canal.:nono:

The alligator snapping turtle can be taken but not for commercial purposes. The recreational limit is 1 per boat or vehicle, per day.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Yall got me craving Turtle stew I'm goin check da freezer...... If none, I'm goin bait my lines....... You probably could eat the red ear turtle,it's not worth your time or effort for the little bit of meat you gonna get !!!

MJCHAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    I've been eating them for years now. Not a lot of meat with just one though. They have all tasted fine. I just caught on in my pond on a rod & reel. That's a first for me. Needless to say he did not live long, got him cleaned and in the freezer now.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    A friend and I built a wooden frame and stapled a net to the bottom of it. Then we tied a rope on one side and when turtles would climb up on the side with the rope you could pull the rope and the turtle would fall in the net and you can pull it ashore to catch the turtle

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I've heard of people eating "streakerheads"- but I think I'll stick to softshells & snapping turtles, myself....

Top Bottom