Are shootings on the rise? Delaware Courthouse Shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    or is the Media just reporting every single shooting now as opposed to not doing so for so long?

Trying to find a source of a rise or not in shootings.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/11/justice/delaware-court-shooting/index.html
    Wilmington, Delaware (CNN) -- Three people are dead, including a gunman who opened fire in a courthouse in Wilmington, Delaware, Monday morning, Delaware State Police said.

Two Capitol Police officers were wounded in the gunfight, but their injuries aren't life threatening because they were wearing bulletproof vests, police said.

The man entered the lobby of at the New Castle County Courthouse around 8 a.m. and began shooting

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Weird. I didn't think they allowed guns in court houses.

Edit: that's not a stupid jab at the "no guns" signs or firearm free zones. I thought all court houses had metal detectors and armed guards.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I have no statistics to back it up but I think shootings are on the rise. In the world of the disturbed it is the trendy thing to do.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yea I know but am wondering if we can provide something solid that says one way or another.
    I guess the line has to be drawn between "Shooting" and "Homicide with firearm". If you just look at homicide with a firearm, the FBI stats can show evidence. It's hard to look at the partial year of 2013 and project, though. I do recall seeing mention that more suicides and domestic violence occurs in the winter times, often attributed to winter weather being more depressing, and being indoors more.

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I believe it may be a mix of both, folks are becoming famous for shooting up a school, office etc. As well as every major news cast pushing it to the headlines...

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    Yea I know but am wondering if we can provide something solid that says one way or another.

The FBI Uniform Crime Reports is what you want to be looking at. According to the 2011 UCR

In 2011, an estimated 1,203,564 violent crimes occurred nationwide, a decrease of 3.8 percent from the 2010 estimate.

and

Aggravated assaults accounted for the highest number of violent crimes reported to law enforcement at 62.4 percent. Robbery comprised 29.4 percent of violent crimes, forcible rape accounted for 6.9 percent, and murder accounted for 1.2 percent of estimated violent crimes in 2011.

Information collected regarding type of weapon showed that firearms were used in 67.7 percent of the nation’s murders, 41.3 percent of robberies, and 21.2 percent of aggravated assaults.

The percentages above have been constant for the past 10 years, so this would indicate that criminal acts of shootings are down from 2010 to 2011 (and since 2001).

The CDC non fatal injury reports also indicate that the rate of non fatal gunshot injuries is down.

The 2012 Preliminary FBI Uniform Crime Reports indicate that the murder rate is down 1.7% for the first six months of 2012, but violent crime is up 1.9%. Of course, there won't be a clear picture of 2012 until later this year.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    A GLOCK 21 was used and this was a targeted shooting. His target was he son's ex-wife.

bilde

There is a small lobby after you enter the courthouse doors before you get to the security checkout where the metal detectors are.

The victim and a her friend in the lobby when the man, Matusiewicz, walked up to them and started shooting.

2 Officers came from behind the checkpoint and got into a shootout with Matusiewicz.
    Both officers got shot, but their bullet resistance vest saved them.
    Thomas Stanley Matusiewicz got shot in the chest.

The old man stumbled out of the revolving doors and shot himself in the head.

bilde

bilde

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/21138605/police-gunman-in-wilmington-court-shooting-killed-himself
    http://www.delawareonline.com/artic...077/Shooter-had-longstanding-grievance-victim

:)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom