Arkansas Bill to Replace Concealed Carry with Open Carry Permits

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    This is just going to allow Open carry in Arkansas through the same process as CC is done.

This is a Pro Gun Bill, considering OC is banned in AR.

That's it it looks like to me anyway. :dunno:

If the bill is passed, a concealed carry license would automatically be converted to a license to carry a handgun in public.

So getting the Permit allows you to carry however you want.

The bill is just also allowing for Open carry to be an option.

Last edited:

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    I agree with it, if it means concealed carry permittees now have the right to open carry as well.

I wouldn't agree with it if it meant I had to open carry, instead of conceal.

I personally don't like open carry. I don't need the looks, the conversation or the hassle. Some people love stopping and holding conversations with complete strangers, ten times a day. I ain't one of them. I like to conceal, go about my business and carry on, with no one being the wiser.

I'm not knocking open carry, it's just my opinion.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Even though they're touting it as "loosening gun controls", if I'm reading it right I think it's a bad bill all around. If I was told I had to open carry instead of concealed I'd be PISSED. Also, they're creating a permit system for something that's already a right. Unless open carry is currently banned there, forcing people to get a permit to do so is actually a huge step in the wrong direction.
    Exactly

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Why do we need permission from the government anyway to carry a firearm? The 2nd Amendment already tells us we can bear arms.

Jeaux E

TROMIX Fan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2007
    Little Rock
    The bill introduced here essentially changes it to a "permit to carry a pistol in public".
    With the new permit status, you can carry concealed OR open.
    Existing CCW's are good for open carry immediately on the
    passage of the bill.....need to do away with the permit requirement altogether !

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Even though they're touting it as "loosening gun controls", if I'm reading it right I think it's a bad bill all around. If I was told I had to open carry instead of concealed I'd be PISSED. Also, they're creating a permit system for something that's already a right. Unless open carry is currently banned there, forcing people to get a permit to do so is actually a huge step in the wrong direction.
    This.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Actual text of bill here: http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2013/2013R/Bills/HB1408.pdf

Relevant part:
    5-73-301. Definitions.
    As used in this subchapter: (1) "Carry a handgun in public" means to carry a handgun either openly or concealed in a public place that is not otherwise prohibited by 1 law;

This would be a significant victory for gun rights in Arkansas by legalising OC. The wording in the article linked in the first post is poor. Presently, if your gun shows, you go to jail. The bill automatically allows anyone with an existing permit to carry whichever way they want.

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Actual text of bill here: http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2013/2013R/Bills/HB1408.pdf

Relevant part:

This would be a significant victory for gun rights in Arkansas by legalising OC. The wording in the article linked in the first post is poor. Presently, if your gun shows, you go to jail. The bill automatically allows anyone with an existing permit to carry whichever way they want.

I agree given that the permit holder could choose open or concealed carry is a huge step forward for AR.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    seems like Utah has the right idea!

But if a State does away with it's Concealed Carry permit residents of that state may not be able to carry in most other states. Vermont residents don't need a Concealed Carry Permit to conceal carry in VERMONT but can only legally conceal carry in Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, and North Carolina.

Top Bottom