Assault weapon pawn shop question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have a friend that pawned his M4 and he was asking me one of those "what if" questions.
    It was--- if there were to be a "assault weapons" ban again and his M4 was still in the pawn shop could he get it back.
    I couldn't answer it for him.

What do ya'll think?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Tell him his M4orgery is not an Assault weapon. You can also tell him in other countries they rounded up all the guns when they passed bans, so there is no telling what our politician overlords will TRY to do.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Weird question that somehow feels like you know the answer?

We'd have to know the Ban Details. Like does it say, Stop all production? Confiscate all (Defined)Assault Rifles?

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    Chances are "if" something happens they are not going to say "turn them all in" and outright ban them. They would most likely ban further importation/manufacturing of specific weapons. So, IF they were to do that, he would be grandfathered in. The weapon is still owned by him. He can still pawn it, get it back, etc.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    There is no answer to this question, however, basically he SOLD the gun to the pawn shop. They call it a loan, but its a sale. When he goes to pick it up after paying off the loan, he has to fill out a 4473.

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    There is no answer to this question, however, basically he SOLD the gun to the pawn shop. They call it a loan, but its a sale. When he goes to pick it up after paying off the loan, he has to fill out a 4473.

Not "exactly". When we pawn a gun, we dont "own" it until/unless someone goes delinquent on the loan. We have had guys paying on guns for YEARS. As long as they are making the payments it's their gun, and we cant do anything with it. We keep it but they own it. They stop paying and then it becomes ours. But true, the law says they have to fill out a 4473 when they pick it up.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Not "exactly". When we pawn a gun, we dont "own" it until/unless someone goes delinquent on the loan. We have had guys paying on guns for YEARS. As long as they are making the payments it's their gun. We keep it but they own it. They stop paying and then it becomes ours.

Right, and I know you guys know more about that end than I do, however, from the LE end of it, it's treated just like a sale.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If you're buddy gets in a bind, let me know, I'll gladly pay the loan. Then at least a gun guy will have it as opposed to a pawn shop.

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    If you're buddy gets in a bind, let me know, I'll gladly pay the loan. Then at least a gun guy will have it as opposed to a pawn shop.

The pawn shops I use have "gun guys" that work for them/ own them. Maybe not to the level of "gun guy" on these boards, but I'd call them gun guys. ;-)

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The plan has always been to revive the old assault weapons ban from 1994. If that happens the only thing it will ban is sales of new weapons and new high capacity magazines. Any rifles or magazines made before the ban will still be able to be bought and sold. That's IF they use the same ban from 1994...

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    Some of the things I've seen brought in around here.. I wouldn't be surprised a bit to see a Wilson.

I guess it all depends on what shop you are talking about. Our owner runs it like a business, not his own personal gun collection. We would rather our customers make their payments. If not we have to sit on it for 60 days until we can legally sell it then we have to sit on it until it sells. I've never seen him just take one home because he likes it (like I have heard other shop owners do).

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I guess it all depends on what shop you are talking about. Our owner runs it like a business, not his own personal gun collection. We would rather our customers make their payments. If not we have to sit on it for 60 days until we can legally sell it then we have to sit on it until it sells. I've never seen him just take one home because he likes it (like I have heard other shop owners do).

Oh absolutely, and I'm certainly not trying to sound like I'm bashing you guys especially, or pawn shops in general.

It all depends on who's running the show.

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    Red-headed_vulture.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom