Assembling an AR ...in theory

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So I've found a place selling AR stripped lowers for $125.00. If i had an upper, what degree of difficulty is it to assemble?

not for ME to do it, but if i took the parts to a gunsmith?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah, and slapping an upper on a lower is just pushing two pins out, setting the upper on top lining up the holes and pushing the pins back through.

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    a lower is cake if you have a complete upper.

Need a small hammer, a tap and maybe some needle nose. I've put 4 together now and gotten better at each.

edit. google ar15 lower guide. Google it already.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    "super easy" for an experienced person, or "super easy" like.. go google search a guide and do it already?

Super easy as in go to AR15.com and go to the build it yourself section and their is a step by step guide with pictures. Only reason to ever to go to AR15.com.

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    It is very simple to assemble an upper and/or lower. It is a fun project. A lower can be assembled in less than 1 hour, my last took me about 30 min. Uppers are slightly more difficult, but still a very easy project. I learned by watchin youtube videos.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    "super easy" for an experienced person, or "super easy" like.. go google search a guide and do it already?

Second one. There's guides on youtube and Brownell's has a great series of videos on building a lower. I'd recommend watching them and seeing if it looks too difficult. If so, I'm sure a BS'er will help ya.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Super easy as in go to AR15.com and go to the build it yourself section and their is a step by step guide with pictures. Only reason to ever to go to AR15.com.
    I use that as a reference guide. I've done enough now that I don't need it, but it's handy for when you aren't sure which spring is which, or something. It has a good labeled parts diagram.

I used it for all the AR builds I've done at home. I haven't built enough to memorize things backward and forward yet, but even if I had, I still believe in having the manual handy when doing things.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It's super easy, don't pay someone to do it.

No to the first part, yes to the second part. It can be done but it is not "super easy" IMO. I've assembled several and it took me a few to get the hang of it. Now it's no problem but it still takes concentration and a steady hand. Plus a few improvised tools and some good masking tape to keep from dinging the receiver accidentally. You can scratch, ding and even break some parts if you don't use care and some precautions.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    To add to what others have said, assembling a lower is very easy. I have zero AR experience and am not particularly handy or mechanically inclined. I didn't buy any special tools but I did already have a small plastic hammer and a set of regular punches (not the roll pin punches). Using the instructions and video's in the "Build It Yourself" section of AR15.com I assembled mine in about an hour and a half. Took my time and also stopping here and there to tend to my 7 month old son. Despite all the warnings I did manage to launch one spring across the room but it was no big deal to pick up a replacement at the gun store the next day. The only thing I had to get help with was tightening the castle nut. Didn't feel like buying a wrench so I brought it to a friends and used his. The instructions on arcom list the suggested tools to buy but the video shows how to do without them. The roll pin punches would have made life easier but it wasn't that big of a deal.

The great thing about assembling the lower yourself is that you'll have a much better understanding of how the trigger is assembled and whats required if you have to do any repairs or part swapping in the future.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    There is a place in Louisiana selling stripped New Frontier lowers for $125, I can't find their card... I should have put their info in my phone.

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    get good a pair of 7" knipex pliers or lowes has a new pair of pliers just like them $20...makes roll pins a snap.

Fracture_U

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    get good a pair of 7" knipex pliers or lowes has a new pair of pliers just like them $20...makes roll pins a snap.

Those roll pins made me extremely nervous after reading about people snapping the ears off for the trigger guard. I found a few people just wrapped either vice-grips or channel locks with E-Tape and pinched them in. I used the roll pin punch and was still nervous. Making sure it was supported, I started out very softly--tapping (or attempting to tap it) it in until I gave up and had to give it a few good whacks. Once it was started, it was fine. Just take your time and don't get in a hurry. There is plenty of help here with everyone who has posted a reply already. I am sure they would be more than willing to help you out if you get in a bind.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I use a hardcover book to start the roll pins. You can open the book and insert the corner to fill up the gap to get support on both ears. Start the roll pin one one side. Afterwards, just let the book support the other ear.

CajunCracker

Beastmode
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Go to YouTube and search cmmg lower parts kit. This is the simplest thing I've seen to date. It's all animated and it shows up close views and all that. Very simple. I used it for all four I've built.

Top Bottom