AT&T Cellular service

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    With an Android phone. I have been off AT&T for 3 or so years and re connected last weekend. I'm getting spam but I don't know WTF it is.

Has anyone gotten a notification in the bar across the top that is a white star with a red dot in the middle?? WTF is that?? It doesn't have a label just "Notification" and when I click it, it open the browser.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Okay. I pride myself on knowig as much as I do about cell service, but I never heard of that. Surely you would have to opt into that to get it?? And assuming they are an AT&T allowed service why would they be sending spam crap for garbage spam websites?? It was for http://stimulusjobs.net/ some kind of spamming scam site

Okay I see it says "you installed an app that uses it. I need to figure out how you know that, because I havn't installed anything that I didn't already have. Does this thing not work on VZW and Sprint??

I just installed addons detector and airpush detector. I'll see what they find.

Last edited:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You need to root your phone and get the adfree app. It blocks all the spam that apps are starting to force onto to people without letting them know. It also let's your free apps run adfree. I've been running a rooted Android for over a year and I love it. I'm currently considering upgrading from my Captivate to the new Galaxy S3.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You need to root your phone and get the adfree app. It blocks all the spam that apps are starting to force onto to people without letting them know. It also let's your free apps run adfree. I've been running a rooted Android for over a year and I love it. I'm currently considering upgrading from my Captivate to the new Galaxy S3.

I'll have to look at that. I havn't had it but a few days.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Do a few searches on it, there are tons of tutorials. I think there's a "one click" root out now. You can remove all that BS bloatware that comes on the phone and even setup an overclock feature to make it run faster. You'll spend about $8 on some of the apps to properly handle your rooted phone and make it easier to use. I run BusyBox Installer that allows sideloading, Superuser which gives you full access to eveything in your phone, Root Explorer that allows you to modify previously locked folders, and Titanium Backup so I can save a known working setup before I go nuts eliminating programs that may cause issues, if I delete one that need to be there or causes problems, I can just revert back to the last known good setup. There's also an app that allows you access to other providers app stores so you can download apps that aren't standard. A lot of apps that are awesome and truly make your phone convenient require root access.

It also won't void your warranty like jailbraking an iPhone will

All you need to do is know what update you're on, and find the matching root "update file"

Here is the site that I used and I trust the the info on there, just take the time to read the whole thread in case you run into some issues. There's also a super cheap way to "unbrick" your phone if you somehow manage to totally fail at something this simple. If you can power the phone on, you can root it.

Last edited:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I already bought the Titanium backup because there is some AT&T crap on here that I want OFF. Social hub and some other junk. I had Superuser on my Droid and Triumph. I just did get my ooterbox today.

I don't know if this is an "airpush" ad or not, what I read at android forums says it may be, but the more I read about this crap and the "people" that use it, the more I believe that they all need to be bludgeoned to death...

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah this is ome new stuff that has hit the android marketplace recently and considered by all to be very unethical and shady. If you read reviews before downloading, as long as it's not a brand new unreviewed app, people figure it out pretty fast.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Oh and the latest discussion is about how no one in their right mind should enter their IMEI into a know spammer website, if you do expect it to be sold for some nefarious purpose.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I think my insurance is the only one that ever asked for that, and usually it was to verify only. You'd be an idiot to enter that.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    since the droid is open source originally there are a lot of things with the OS that is being picked apart.
    it sounds like an airpush but almost all apps are funded by ads, so it may not be much to find it.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    When I run a free app and there are ads at the bottom, that's fine you get what you pay for. But when an app sets your phone up so ads come at any and all times to the notification bar that is 100% unethical and unacceptable. And I told both the author and LeadBolt that. I don't think any normal person would agree to that kind of advertising regardless of what is offered for it especially after seeing the ads that are sent, so I believe advertising of this nature should be made out of line for developers.

Top Bottom