Atf terminology 101

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FISHSTICKER

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    French Settlement
    Guys:

Called the ATF earlier today to get a status on my transfer. After Getting off the phone I started thinking about the specific terms she used. Her exact statement was: “Your application was received on March 15th and is currently pending”. At the time I processed that information as my application has been pending since March 15. However, after more thought I don’t know if that’s what she meant. I really hate to call back and potentially cause any of us further delays by taking someone away from their very important job of process our applications. What is your take on that statement. Would she have given me a date other than the date it went pending? Or could it very well have gone pending much later than the date I was given?

Thanks

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    You won't take anyone away from processing forms. They have people whose whole job is to answer them and give status updates. If we didn't call they wouldn't have a job so don't feel bad about it.

It should have been the date it went pending. That is the only date they know other than now they sometimes report a second pending date that what I can gather means you made it to the examiners desk.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Spoke to them today. I was told on a can that went pending on the 29th of Aug....15 MONTHS!!!!!! ( SHOCK) I had to ask him to repeat what he said, I thought I was hearing him wrong but he repeated 15 months. We'll I guess I'm getting it for next hunting season. These wait times are getting way out of hand. I guess there was a rush to get it in before the trusts became harder to get because of the CLEO sign off.

All American Gunsmithing LLC
    Baton Rouge L.A.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    You're ****ing kidding me.

UGH.

I went pending Aug 19 or 20, and I was hoping to have it for next deer season, next fall. I thought I was plenty ahead of things, and had time to go get my **** zero'd for the hunting ammo.

Wow.

Wow.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    15 months was from Aug. so you should still be pretty close the rifle season, next year. The hold times are just crazy.

All American Gunsmithing LLC
    Baton Rouge L.A.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Yep, 15 months is what I was told, as well. That is going to end up killing smaller companies that only build suppressors, like Liberty, etc. if it continues. Way to go :(

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    15 Months is just what they are telling everyone. They probably have no idea. We won't know how long it is going to take until people start receiving forms back. It is going to be long no doubt but I wouldn't take what they say as gospel. I know every time I have purchased NFA what the people at the ATF say and all the little tools like NFA tracker are never right. It comes when it comes. On a side note here is a little glimmer of hope

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...yees-nfa-branch-wait-times-expected-decrease/

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    15 Months is just what they are telling everyone. They probably have no idea. We won't know how long it is going to take until people start receiving forms back. It is going to be long no doubt but I wouldn't take what they say as gospel. I know every time I have purchased NFA what the people at the ATF say and all the little tools like NFA tracker are never right. It comes when it comes. On a side note here is a little glimmer of hope

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...yees-nfa-branch-wait-times-expected-decrease/

Hey is my stamp back yet?! :mamoru: J/K.

For everyone else, I bought my can on the 19th and called last Tuesday to ask to make sure they got the information, don't trust the gov'ts IT people, and asked the lady if they had an estimate of how long and she told me then that they had a meeting scheduled for this past friday for their boss to tell them the new wait time. I guess he set them a lofty goal to really get them motivated to push out the applications. :rolleyes:

Johnnyo

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Does anyone know what "problem Status" means? I called about my Form 4 status today and they said it went into Problem Status in Dec 4.
    She made a vague reference about waiting for a response from the FBI.
    I have no legal issues (that I am aware of) that would have kicked up a problem. I've had several federal security clearances in the past and there were never any problems.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Problem status means there was a problem with the application. It could be something simple and normally they will send it back to your dealer to correct and then approve the form. It used to only add about 2 weeks but I have seen some people saying it's about a month. How did you apply as an individual or trust llc etc? Was it a form 1 or 4? Could be something stupid like listing multi in the caliber section. They used to allow that but don't any more.

Top Bottom