ATF throughput

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    Anybody have any idea how many NFA stamps the ATF now processes a month. I have a friend who is scared of being on 'the list' by purchasing a suppressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    Well I guess that's one option. I'm trying to figure out how big 'the list' is. My side of the argument is that there are so many NFA items out there that even if there is a 'list' it doesn't matter.

One could look at the extra effort background check that goes into NFA stamps as a positive. Successful applicants pass a close examination by fed LE. Is it not unlike someone applying for a job w a step up in security clearance? I'm just speculating here...

We all know there are some that get approved for a firearm in the normal FFL process that maybe shouldn't...

How big is 'the list'?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Who care's tell him to stop being paranoid. I own several NFA Items. If I'm on a list because of that I don't care. Ive purchased enough new firearms if they truly keep one Im already on it. Heck with the NSA everyone that has ever signed up for a gun forum is probably on the list, if they really are keeping one. Which leads me to the next point who cares about a list if you own guns and are paranoid about the government taking them. You must be planning on using them?? Ive gone far enough down the wormhole for one night I'm about to sleep peacefully with my NFA guns in the safe not worrying about a list.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I would not worry about the government with your NFA stuff. They are taking in revenue on this stuff. NFA owners need to be careful not to make the wrong female angry at you. "Hell hath no fury like a women scorned."

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Ok now that I've slept some and finally woken up this morning let me say this too. Your friend is worried he will be put on a list and they will take his guns and his right to bear arms. By refusing to buy NFA firearms because he may be put on a list he is allowing fear to restrict his 2a rights instead of the government. By this logic he has already given up his rights.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Ok now that I've slept some and finally woken up this morning let me say this too. Your friend is worried he will be put on a list and they will take his guns and his right to bear arms. By refusing to buy NFA firearms because he may be put on a list he is allowing fear to restrict his 2a rights instead of the government. By this logic he has already given up his rights.

Good post.

If the guy has bought any guns, he is "on a list."

If the guy has registered to vote, he is "on a list."

etc.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Another point to consider is that with the increase to over 100 million gun owners in the US, gun ownership is now looking normal and ho hum with the main stream. NFA is also headed in that direction.
    If there is a list, then it is really too long for any fat cat over paid Fed to be concerned about. They are too busy setting up nice retirement accounts with our tax dollars.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    There are currently 15 legal examiners in the background investigation phase of hiring. ATF has been authorized to use overtime funding to process NFA applications and they reduced their outstanding applications by 23%. They are currently processing around 6000 applications a week and have a backlog of 62,000. This means that we might be looking at as little as 10 weeks to process applications and even quicker for electronic applications. This is a substantial decrease from the 9 -15 months we have been seeing in the past few months.
    In the last 4 weeks they received 17,800 applications and processed more than 22,400 applications.

This is a post from GunTrustLawyer.com from June 24th 2014. If you want to know "How big is the list?"...it is VERY BIG...MASSIVE. Some of those numbers listed above will give a general idea. And that was just their current backlog at that time.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    The FBI has had to spend over 100 million dollars over the past several years to expand their Clarksburg,WV campus to keep up with the NCIS,NCIC, AFIS, and NFA request. The amount of information that goes through the Clarksburg campus in a hour is mi d blowing. They have the single largest database in the world.

Top Bottom