ATV Mechanic

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I am in search of a good ATV mechanic. I recently traded an AR for a Kawasaki prairie 700 4 wheeler. The bike runs good but bearings, ball joints, and the front brakes need to be replaced. The seal on my front differential is bad and mud/water got inside as well as leaking all the gear oil. The differential may need to be rebuilt.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359873053.558011.jpg

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    Does Clymer make a repair manual for that model? If so, that and some simple handle tools till get most of that done. Then if bearings need to be pressed out/in, a machine shop can do that for very cheap.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    Does Clymer make a repair manual for that model? If so, that and some simple handle tools till get most of that done. Then if bearings need to be pressed out/in, a machine shop can do that for very cheap.

Bearings, brakes, and ball joints are easy. The front diff is a bit of a challenge. Probably not something you want to do on your own unless you enjoy working on them. Gotta have a special tool to rebuild it. The 2 output seals on the diff are fairly easy to change but if it has a good bit of mud and water in it, you really are better off rebuilding the whole thing (all bearings and seals at least).

While you are spending that $$ on it, go ahead and replace the stupid needle bearings/bushings in the front suspension with delrin bushings.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I talked to a few places and to bring the bike in I'm looking at $600+ but if I pull the differential it is $300 to rebuild it. Looks like ill be pulling it myself.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    $300 isnt too bad but by far the worst part of the whole deal is getting the diff out.

IIRC my rebuild kit was around $100. The rebuild itself is quite easy, you just need a special socket to get the pinion nut off. It is basically a reverse socket that fits inside the nut.

acman1997

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Guy named chad does it on the side. Good dude. Did a good job for a reasonable price. Gonzales area. 225-268-1843

Top Bottom