Auto Mechanic Schools

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    My oldest son will be a Jr in High School next years and is considering going into auto mechanics when he gets out of school.

Just looking for some information on possible schools.
    The good, the bad and the ugly.

I would like him to go to a quality school, something more than just a local vo-tech program.
    Maybe even something with an Associate degree if that matters.

Also any other information about that career field would be greatly appreciated.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    As a longtime mechanic, i would recommend he find another career! I have a son the same age and while im teaching him to fix his own stuff, hes is loking into being a mechanical engineer due to my insistance not to follow in my steps! The industry is not what it ised to be. Gone are the days of good pay and benefits, too many people have control of the amount of money you make! Just my .02 cents!

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I worked at a local auto dealership for 15 years. All of our technician trainees went to Delgado in New Orleans. I can't offer any comparative quality of the education provided there. It's just that our dealership accepted that course as a precursor to employment.

That being said, I would have to agree with Bam Bam. Right now I can't think of a single repair technician that I worked with who retired with any degree of wealth or health.

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    I have to agree with the others. I have no personal experience in the auto mechanic field but I used to work with a guy that had been a auto mechanic for I'd guess at around 15-20 years. He'd always rant on about how much he hated that business. He mentioned that not only is the pay so shitty that mechanics have to rip customers off (which is pretty stereotypical for auto mechanics) or they simply can't make a living, but the work conditions are horrible as well. The places of work are the garages/workshops that are basically big metal ovens with no insulation or air conditioning. This guy also didn't seem to have a retirement of any kind or much money other than the money he made after he got out of the mechanic field. Obviously there are other everyday downsides like oil/grease ruining your clothes and the angles that you have to work at are a pain on your joints/body, but I'd assume your son already realizes those problems as they're pretty obvious.

It's wonderful to have the mechanical knowledge to fix your own vehicles, as I'd imagine many of us do to some extent or another, but getting into that line of work seems not worth it.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    since he likes that sort of work tell him to look into a votech school and learn the basics of pumps, compressors, etc. rotating equiptment repair. There are milwright/machinist apprentice programs with ojt and once permanately employed there is more training available through vendors/manufacturers. We have plants and refineries all over down here and constantly looking for machinists/milwrights, the money is real good too.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I've heard nothing but the same as above from mechanics. The pay has not gone up over the years to keep up with inflation. Yes you can survive but from what I understand he will not have a great quality of life.
    I would look into a Maritime Academy if that's what he's interested. Still get to work on engines and what not and guaranteed a job with good pay when he's finished.

Ton

bang bang
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 19, 2006
    New Orleans
    Money is ok but you will have to work for it. I'm new to the business, 9 years. They(management) find ways to screw you. The labor rates go up and out pay stays the same. The good ole days are long gone, this is from the old timers at my work. My last day is friday. Im starting at Lsu the following monday.

99% of the "good" guys I know learned from experience. And the ones that did go to "school," thinks they know everything. Lol

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    since he likes that sort of work tell him to look into a votech school and learn the basics of pumps, compressors, etc. rotating equiptment repair. There are milwright/machinist apprentice programs with ojt and once permanately employed there is more training available through vendors/manufacturers. We have plants and refineries all over down here and constantly looking for machinists/milwrights, the money is real good too.

Im with this guy. As much as I personally love auto-mechanic work I couldn't advise anyone to pursue that as a career due to the people I know and their experience in that business. If he is mechanically inclined and likes that kind of work he should look into machinist and millwright. But if he is really set on auto mechanics, there are higher paid positions to be acquired but they just aren't as plentiful as machinist and millwright positions.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)

^^^^Also, look into A&P mechanics. There is a shortage and jobs are readily available. An out of school new hire to a regional airline can expect 15-18 and hour. Top out is 25 or so. From there, you can go into the majors or another field, most mechanical type jobs recognize an A&P certificate. I have had no trouble finding employment in or out of the field. m I think there is a school in Lafayette.

Saint Peter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    morgan city, la
    If he wants to get into mechanicsi wouldnt go into automotive theydo ot get paid what they should my opinion look I tomarine mechanic(motor yacht/sailboats)really good money, possibly go offshore as a qmed and work way up to chief engineer, another possibility is what general mill was pointing out aviation is another good one just depends on what he wants to do as far as schooling because hydraulics, electronics, diesel, eletrical and the list goes on but there is good money to be made

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    As a longtime mechanic, i would recommend he find another career! I have a son the same age and while im teaching him to fix his own stuff, hes is loking into being a mechanical engineer due to my insistance not to follow in my steps! The industry is not what it ised to be. Gone are the days of good pay and benefits, too many people have control of the amount of money you make! Just my .02 cents!
    Ditto.....Run...dont walk...Run.

The business is too complicated and pay way too low for the employee. The shop owner has high expenses to equip the shop and a hard time finding qualified employees. I think it's way too hard trying to work on multiple auto brands these days. Seems like you have to flash the computer for half of the things you replace under the hood or dash.

Personally....If I wanted a trade...If I had to do it over again I would go into a trade which is licensed such as electrician or plumber. Master plumbers do well IMO.
    That said...A degree always helps. Thats what I convinced my son to do.....Get his degree.

Even though he isn't utilizing it fully at the present time...He always has the piece of paper for when he gets older and may decide to go into a management position. If he decides to open his own business...He has the education on the economics end to running a business. I know that would have helped me when I was running my shop. I was clueless to the business end of owning a business.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    FWIW....When I got my first job at Canal Ford....The cash labor rate was 42.00 and warranty rate was 38.00
    The mechanic was paid a 44% commision...which meant we got 18.20 a flat rate hour.
    That was in 1978.

After operating my shop for 16 years....getting injured....then going back to work at a Buick/GMC dealership in town....Their labor rate was 110.00 an hour.
    The highest paid techs earned 18.00 an hour and the starting pay for the new hires was 14.00 an hour. That was in 1999

So....after 22 years....the commissions for techs fell from 44 % to around 18 %. The level of technical knowledge needed went up about 1000%
    And mechanics were earning less than they earned 22 years earlier.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Well I've been turning wrenches for going on 25 years, and I make a very nice living at it.

Well used to make 100k @ year working in Atlanta on Mercedes Benz, but after taking a 25% pay cut over 3 years all the while putting in more hours than i use to made me get out. Switched to heavy equipment /diesel being its an hourly position, sucks but pays the bills barely.

Last edited:

pete70056

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Gretna, La
    As someone who has hired many a young tech, I would say it's still a good career for the non-lazy. I often recommend the lazy a job in government. Think the dmv. For someone with common sense and work ethics, it still can be lucrative. Hell, I have three children. All are not going to end up with advanced degrees. But, they could be well into a career within two years. I currently employee a good number of folks in the 6 figure category and that includes non college grads with three years on the job.

Last edited:

DynoLa

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Shreveport
    My son wanted to get in to auto repair. We were thinking of sending him to one of those schools. So I talked to a acquaintance who teaches the auto mechanic classes at the local VoTech. He recommended going into an apprentice program. He said you usually have to go to a dealership to get that. My son went to the local honda dealer. they hired him in quick service doing oil changes and tire rotations to see his work ethic. After a month, they offered him a mechanics apprenticeship. He was assigned to one of the top technicians there. After working under him for a year and a half, they let him go on commission and gave him his own stall/lift. He gets paid at $14 per commission hour. Now that he is a mechanic, they are going to send him to honda school to become a technician. He needs to get more test and certs done to be able to ask for more money. Most of the guys that have been there for 10 years or less only make $17-$19ish.

He enjoys it, would like to make better pay. And sees it as a starting point.

Last edited:

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    There was an era when average annual pay increases were rising at a rate faster than most other fields. Late 80s early 90s if memory serves me correctly. That is gone.
    It's not for everyone. If you are proficient in electronics, programming and computers that is a great field.
    If you are just another brake or tune up tech it will be a long hard road.
    Been at it for 40 years. Live between Covington and Mandeville on six acres with a 2K sq ft house, whole house generator, garden shed and 1600 sg ft carport shed. All paid for with blood sweat and tears.
    And no not all shops are ripoffs.
    An above average shop owner can make really good money but it's not achievable for the average soul.
    And please advice no more young techs pursue the field;) That means experienced techs will make more money. Supply and demand.

Last edited:

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    My oldest son will be a Jr in High School next years and is considering going into auto mechanics when he gets out of school.

Just looking for some information on possible schools.
    The good, the bad and the ugly.

I would like him to go to a quality school, something more than just a local vo-tech program.
    Maybe even something with an Associate degree if that matters.

Also any other information about that career field would be greatly appreciated.

I went to the Vo-tech in Baton Rouge. Before I graduated, I had a full time job as a diesel mechanic.

IMO diesel is the way to go. I make decent money (hourly, not commission), have full benefits, 401K, stock options, paid vacation/sick leave/holidays.

PM me for any other info.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Thanks for all the replies and information.

He's been considering an IT degree, but his heart seems to be in auto mechanics.

Not just a brake and tune tech, but something more tech advanced, ie. electronics, programming and computers, or performance.

I expect he will be more than average. My wife and I have both always moved up quickly in every job we had, I hope that we have instilled some of that into both my boys.

Top Bottom