Bad experience at sports optics in hammond today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    After purchasing a M-223 Nikon scope from Sports Optics, in Hammond, on the net I decided to stop in their store today after leaving clinic. I wanted to buy 2 more M-223's and also a BDC scope for my DPMS LR-308. I called and spoke to Chris for directions. I arrived at 3:15 pm. When I walked in there were two other customers in the store talking with the salesman. No one asked me if I needed any help upon arrival. I over heard the salesman talking to one of the customers about trigger jobs on his glock and 1911 pistols. This conversation went on for about 10 minutes, then the customer asked to buy some bullets. While the salesman continued with the transaction a young lady came out of the back office twice. She walked right buy me twice. Still no one asked me if I needed any help. Then a tall gentleman came out of the same office and went into the back of the building. While the customer was buying his bullets their conversation changed to taking tests and the scores they had on the tests. While all of this is taking place I'm standing in front of the Nikon scope counter. After waiting for 20 minutes, I left the store and still no one asked me if I needed any help. I guess I expect too much from customer service these days. Is there any sponsors on Bayoushooters that deal primarily with scopes?

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As a current retail store employee, I can say, different places have different attitudes, and every employee is different. I can usually tell by looking at the customer whether or not they want any help by observing what they are looking at and how they are looking at it, but it is not always a sure bet. If it looks to me like they are just browsing and killing time, I may wait a few minutes before asking if they need help or until they ask me for help. If they look like they need/want help, I go directly to them. I am just not a fan of customers who get impatient when they have to wait a minute or two while I am helping someone else, especially when I get to them, and they just want to look at 50 different things and not buy anything.

Regardless, I think that you definitely experienced bad customer service from careless employees.

krato64

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    Hammond
    Same thing happened to me there acouple months ago. Except I was the only customer in the store. I waited atleast 10 mins before anyone even came out of the back room and when someone did they just walked to a computer and didn't say a word to me, so I waited at the counter for him to finish what he was doing and about 5 mins later he just walked back to the back without saying a word. I left and am never going back again.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If you are busy with another customer , you should at least acknowledge somebody when they walk in . Tell them you will be with them in a minute , or call another salesperson to come out . SOMETHING ! When I get good service somewhere , I tell the whole world . When I have a bad experience somewhere , I tell the whole world . Either way , it affects their business . A lot of folks in retail don't get that .

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If you are busy with another customer , you should at least acknowledge somebody when they walk in . Tell them you will be with them in a minute , or call another salesperson to come out . SOMETHING ! When I get good service somewhere , I tell the whole world . When I have a bad experience somewhere , I tell the whole world . Either way , it affects their business . A lot of folks in retail don't get that .

Very true.

Maybe the owner needs to read this thread.

Gunnut80

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Livingston
    Sounds like the same kind of treatment I get everytime I go to Jim's Firearms. Last time I stood in front of the case that had the Colt Defender I was about to buy for about 25 min until I called them from my cell phone. There was only about four customers in the store and I would have just left but I already called around and they were the only ones that had the Defender.

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Call them tomorrow and let the owner what you experienced and that you will now buy these items from another business.

Dirty

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    the problem yamatitan is that he never bugged me once

Yes I understand your side of view and you have a valid reason to get upset. I just prefer salesmen to leave me alone, its ok to ask once if I need help but it really annoys me when they keep pestering you. I actually would prefer they not approach me at all unless I approach them. I may be in the minority on that though.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Sounds like the same kind of treatment I get everytime I go to Jim's Firearms. Last time I stood in front of the case that had the Colt Defender I was about to buy for about 25 min until I called them from my cell phone. There was only about four customers in the store and I would have just left but I already called around and they were the only ones that had the Defender.

That is odd, I get asked if I need help a lot at Jim's. I don't usually need any but they do ask a lot.

mrwiggins

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2006
    East of Hammond
    bad experence

sorry you had a bad experience at the shop. i do the best i can to make all my customers happy, not sure when you came in, but sometimes we are all busy, we are a small office and service people all over the country. our primary focus is internet sales. that said i've been trying to open up more to local guys and I'm sad to see this happened.

I work sales and tech support all day via internet, e-mail and phone. let me also tell you that we have a lot of people who come in just to look around and see what we are, people walk in, look around, you ask if they need help and they say no, leaving when ever they are ready. a lot of guys walk over to kill time from the eye clinic. who ever it was probably figured you were one of these guys and just wanted to continue working and left you alone. this is no excuse and I'll talk to him tomorrow. I have to ask, why didn't you tell someone what you were there for?

again I'm truly sorry you had a bad experience, I wish you would have addressed this with someone while you were here, i see your from Marupas and sorry you made the trip for nothing. again I apologize and if there is anything i can do let me know

as for the accounting/shipping lady (i'm not sure which walked by you) they both stay pretty busy and really don't know anything, so they couldn't have helped

Last edited:

mrwiggins

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2006
    East of Hammond
    Same thing happened to me there acouple months ago. Except I was the only customer in the store. I waited atleast 10 mins before anyone even came out of the back room and when someone did they just walked to a computer and didn't say a word to me, so I waited at the counter for him to finish what he was doing and about 5 mins later he just walked back to the back without saying a word. I left and am never going back again.

if you ever come back and that happens just let someone know you need help and your waiting, we get phone calls from people wanting to purchase optics that usually go from 1000$ up to 12000$, they want to know every detail about these optics, i spend a ton of time on the phone and i usually go check inventory when i sell a product, which is why you see me and chris walking to the back to make sure we have what we are selling. i've literally spent hours on the phone explaining stuff to customers. it's still not a good excuse for you, but it is the truth. if i'm by myself this can happen, and i'm sorry it does.

Last edited:

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    After purchasing a M-223 Nikon scope from Sports Optics, in Hammond, on the net I decided to stop in their store today after leaving clinic. I wanted to buy 2 more M-223's and also a BDC scope for my DPMS LR-308. I called and spoke to Chris for directions. I arrived at 3:15 pm. When I walked in there were two other customers in the store talking with the salesman. No one asked me if I needed any help upon arrival. I over heard the salesman talking to one of the customers about trigger jobs on his glock and 1911 pistols. This conversation went on for about 10 minutes, then the customer asked to buy some bullets. While the salesman continued with the transaction a young lady came out of the back office twice. She walked right buy me twice. Still no one asked me if I needed any help. Then a tall gentleman came out of the same office and went into the back of the building. While the customer was buying his bullets their conversation changed to taking tests and the scores they had on the tests. While all of this is taking place I'm standing in front of the Nikon scope counter. After waiting for 20 minutes, I left the store and still no one asked me if I needed any help. I guess I expect too much from customer service these days. Is there any sponsors on Bayoushooters that deal primarily with scopes?

if you havent found what you need, we can generally beat anyones prices on scopes, get it to you in just a few days, and save you the sales tax.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm not saying the service didn't suck, but I can't comprehend why you'd walk out, drive all the way home and spend all that time writing the story instead of simply saying "Excuse me, could I look at _________?"

If you asked for help and got ignored, then it's an issue.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    To the OP,
    Why didn't you just approach someone and ask for assistance? If you didn't do this I don't see what the problem is.

If you did ask for assistance and were ignored then I understand making this thread.

Chris Wisecarve

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Friends and Customers,

This customer makes a valid complaint and I'm willing to accept it. If someone walks through our door, especially if they have traveled to see us, we need to serve them well. We've built our online business by proving a Pro Shop style atmosphere, inviting customers to call for service and advice when the rest of our competitors only want you to order online. Looks like, at least in this case, we failed to live up to that standard at our Hammond retail location. Mikepizz I offer my apology and hope you wont hold it to badly against us.

Sincerely,
    Chris Wisecarver, Owner
    SportOptics.com
    OutdoorOutfitters.com

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom