Baltimore bridge collapses after ship collision

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    This is crazy…. Makes me think of the sunshine bridge getting hit a few times…
    Sad!!! Prayers for the people on bridge, you can see cars on the bridge before it fell..

Last edited:

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    The ship caught fire and sunk as well.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's a terrorist attack.

Edited to add that earlier I read something saying the ship sank. Apparently that was wrong.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Just realized in the video, you can see the ship is in fire and can see it hitting the bridge and the splash, then bridge falls, can also see emergency cars and other headlights on the bridge before it fell… very sad

IlivnDaBoot!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    SHREVEPORT
    I'm watching this now on my local news. Tragedy indeed. Looks like that scene from the Mothman prophecy when the bridge collapsed.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    There would be no floatation or buoyancy with vehicles on that bridge, as the water aeration from the collapse would cause all of the vehicles to immediately sink like rocks. I don't know how deep the water is but I'd expect 0 survivors and any would be a miracle (aside from the 2 pulled out already.)

If you ever want to drown just try swimming over bubbles.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    The ship lost all power at least twice before impact. You can see the ship go dark a few times before impact. I believe the smoke was the engines coming back online. Dunno. I think of Lake Charles and the recently shut down Chalmette Green bridge. Wouldn’t take much to bring them down.
    Kinda what I was thinking also… but I guess they knew he was comming with the emergency cars in the bridge…

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    The ship lost all power at least twice before impact. You can see the ship go dark a few times before impact. I believe the smoke was the engines coming back online. Dunno. I think of Lake Charles and the recently shut down Chalmette Green bridge. Wouldn’t take much to bring them down.
    Black smoke is from overload, He was pouring the coal to it in order to stop would be my first guess?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    When a ship loses power it loses rudder. It takes a minute to change rudder position in a big ship. I know a ship pilot here in the states that boards international vessels to take over while they’re navigating our waters. He says there’s a huge delay in every action from the time he gives the command but also for the reaction of the ship.
    Then there’s the language barrier. He laughed saying sometimes you can tell them to throw a left rudder and they signal to throw a right and by the time you figure it out you barely have enough time to correct. He also told me that ships take out stuff all the time while moving about in port. He once had a fleet of ship tugs leave him in the middle of the river on a “dead wheel” which I took to mean the ship couldn’t steer but he also alluded to a lack of propulsion. He said by the time they were operational the stern had taken out about 100 feet of catwalk somewhere. Big ships and big tow can be big trouble.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    An 18 wheeler cleared the area at 1:27:20 and two more smaller vehicles cleared at 1:28:09. The collapse started at 1:28:48. Those 3 drivers may want to go grab some lottery tickets. Any number of things could have slowed them down on there drive enough to put them on that section of bridge when the ship hit.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    reminded me of the time the tanker fire on the GNO back in 70's on Easter Sunday.
    that is going to shut down the port there for a while and cargo traffic. maybe nola port can get more traffic

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Terrible accident... Prayers for the missing.. And slo joe on camera saying that the feds will pick up the entire cost of rebuilding the bridge and getting the port reopened for business.. Major disruption in car / truck traffic and loss of workers lives.....................................................................2006 or 2009 toke a trip to visit wife"s family.. Outside of Minniapolis/St. Paul and had to cross a major bridge over water several times. I-35..interstate hwy and a month or two later the bridge collapsed with loss of vehicles and lives......................... drill sgt.

Last edited:

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    That ship reminds me of the River Walk crash were the ship lost power right as it pasted under the Crescent City Connection. No power, no steering.
    I wonder how large the buffers are around the bridge pillars? Those are supposed to stop a ship impacting the support pillars.
    I remember a ship hitting the pillars of Huey P & it only scratched the concrete.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    That ship reminds me of the River Walk crash were the ship lost power right as it pasted under the Crescent City Connection. No power, no steering.
    I wonder how large the buffers are around the bridge pillars? Those are supposed to stop a ship impacting the support pillars.
    I remember a ship hitting the pillars of Huey P & it only scratched the concrete.
    No real buffers paw-daddy
    On a positive note Slo-Joe finally gets something he can build-back better at only 10% for the big guy!

Top Bottom