ban on M855 ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    The theory is, if they can ban one type they can ban all of it because the other types of 5.56/223 can penetrate the light body armor also. So in that respect yes it is probably not foolish to buy all types of the ammo.. If they succeed they certainly won't stop there.

Other types can penetrate light body armor, but the law they are using to ban the M855 cannot be used to ban lead core 5.56 ammo. There is no threat of lead core 5.56 ammo being banned under the same law they are using to ban M855.

From the BATFE:
    "It is important to note that the limitation on *armor piercing ammunition* in the GCA does not apply to projectiles manufactured exclusively from non-restricted materials such as copper and lead; it only applies to projectiles that include the specifically restricted materials, and can be used in a handgun. The framework will not apply to projectiles manufactured exclusively from non-restricted materials; licensed manufacturers will continue to be free to manufacture such projectiles without seeking an exemption."

https://www.atf.gov/press/releases/...-piercing-ammunition-exemption-framework.html

I am not saying an attempt will not be made to ban all 5.56 ammunition in the future. As it stands now, the law they are using to ban M855 cannot be used to ban ALL 5.56/.223 ammunition.

Last edited:

southerner985

sheepdog
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Norco
    i understand that but when one preys on the fears of peoples fear of a possible ban on ammo or mags to sell a 10 mag for 100 or m855 for .70 a round...its called fear mongering, if you don't agree we will just have to agree to disagree fine sir.

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    i understand that but when one preys on the fears of peoples fear of a possible ban on ammo or mags to sell a 10 mag for 100 or m855 for .70 a round...its called fear mongering, if you don't agree we will just have to agree to disagree fine sir.

This practice is downright wrong and anyone who does attempt to screw over their customers in times like these will never see my business again. Same goes for the assault rifle ban times, only the businesses that kept fair prices still see my money.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    These pricing schemes in times of fear are downright crazy. I remember a local gun store upping the price on EVERYTHING. Like charging $15 for a $3 .40 caliber bore brush. As a result, I haven't purchased anything else from them.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La

I whole heartedly agree it's a crappie situation and very unfortunate. . I don't like paying inflated prices either. The only good thing I can see coming out of it is the huge amount of purchases being made. In my view that reflects a large segment of the population is interested in the outcome which translates to voter pressure and could also be viewed as potential civil unrest.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Other types can penetrate light body armor, but the law they are using to ban the M855 cannot be used to ban lead core 5.56 ammo. There is no threat of lead core 5.56 ammo being banned under the same law they are using to ban M855.

From the BATFE:
    "It is important to note that the limitation on *armor piercing ammunition* in the GCA does not apply to projectiles manufactured exclusively from non-restricted materials such as copper and lead; it only applies to projectiles that include the specifically restricted materials, and can be used in a handgun. The framework will not apply to projectiles manufactured exclusively from non-restricted materials; licensed manufacturers will continue to be free to manufacture such projectiles without seeking an exemption."

https://www.atf.gov/press/releases/...-piercing-ammunition-exemption-framework.html

I am not saying an attempt will not be made to ban all 5.56 ammunition in the future. As it stands now, the law they are using to ban M855 cannot be used to ban ALL 5.56/.223 ammunition.

I totally understand your point. But with this group that is in power now does not havea good track record with adhering to the law. If they succeed here they will absolutely go for broke. Heck if Iheard it correct, just a few years ago this ammo was considered exempt and did not meet the criteria.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I totally understand your point. But with this group that is in power now does not havea good track record with adhering to the law. If they succeed here they will absolutely go for broke. Heck if Iheard it correct, just a few years ago this ammo was considered exempt and did not meet the criteria.

Yes it (M855) was considered exempt, but still in the grey area. Due to the composition of the projectile and interpretation of intended use for "sporting purposes" it is now being considered/targeted for a ban. However, there is no grey area in the current law (GCA) when it comes to lead core and copper coated 5.56/.223 ammunition.

So my point is this, in order for them to attempt a ban on all 5.56 ammo they will need a new law passed through the appropriate channels. Obama will not be able to accomplish this through executive order IMO (non-professional). The left would be forfeiting their 2016 elections if they pushed for a comprehensive 5.56/.223 ammo ban, which would fail to pass IMO.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Midway has the 62gr. SS109 available now shipped for $567 per thousand for anyone that has to have it.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    So my point is this, in order for them to attempt a ban on all 5.56 ammo they will need a new law passed through the appropriate channels. Obama will not be able to accomplish this through executive order IMO (non-professional). The left would be forfeiting their 2016 elections if they pushed for a comprehensive 5.56/.223 ammo ban, which would fail to pass IMO.

Bingo. This is Obama's underlings grasping at straws to make it look like they are accomplishing something, nothing more.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Bingo. This is Obama's underlings grasping at straws to make it look like they are accomplishing something, nothing more.

Let's hope! And we'll see change! These guys are relentless in trampling the constitution.. He has run amok with executive order, pretty much without challenge so we'll see. I'm not so sure I would write this off as theatrics though.

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Lol every .22LR round "used by shooters pose a threat to police". That is just an absurd statement and I would even say it is a bit of fear mongering by the writer of that article.

I didn't see 22LR mentioned, I saw 5.56. B. Todd Jones, the Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) told a Senate Appropriations Committee meeting today that he considers ALL 5.56 NATO to be a threat to enforcement officers.
    I don't take that lightly. Bob Owens just reported what was said.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I wasn't trying to say he was talking about .22LR so let me clear it up.

Correction; Every .22LR used by shooters COULD pose a threat to police. It doesn't matter what caliber or type of firearm, or even if it is a firearm. A weapon or device that could be used as a weapon COULD pose a threat to police, so I see it as a statement that points out the obvious. That would be like saying "driving a car while under the influence of alcohol poses a threat to yourself or others on the road".

Director of BATFE can say what he wants about 5.56 or AR15s, he does not get to ban ANY round without a law to base that ban on. Anyone who thinks that the law being used to propose a ban on M855 could be used to ban ALL 5.56 ammunition has not read enough into the law. A new bill would need to be passed in order for an all out 5.56 ban to occur, plain and simple.

Will people in the government or BATFE continue to attempt to undermine our 2A rights? Sure, but I don't see an immediate threat to 5.56 ammo as a whole while Republican's control Congress.

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Perhaps we can elect Rand Paul and then get the Republican Senate and Congress to repeal the 1986 gun control law. That would put an end to this ammo ban crap among other things.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    We knew what he'd be trying the day he got elected. Anyone who thought otherwise wasn't paying attention. He always has and always will despise the idea of the Second Amendment- and will try to undermine it however he can. Believe it.

Just keep on fighting- and we will beat them down again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom