Barrett .50 cal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enal

FIDO
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Go to GunBroker Second...Go talk to your Loan Officer FIRST...You are looking at $5000-$12000 for the equipment and then you need to start thinking about ammo and other support.

TDH is an excellent person to tell you what you will be investing. You better really be devoted to the .50 AND HAVE SOMEWHERE TO USE THAT MUCH ENERGY.

Enal

FIDO
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Problem with buying local is that you get to pay Tax on top of the purchase...Of course I'm not sure how much it costs to ship a Barrett that size.

Formermonroehand

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Dutchtown
    Good point. I did not think about that, not used to spending $10,000 on a gun ;)

I'm not either. It is for my best friend/boss. He is not the smartest when it comes to $$$$, but he is hell bent on getting one. I can't seem to talk him out of it, not talk him into a cheaper model, so if you can't beat em, join em! If he insists on buying one, the least I can do is help him look for the best deal. Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Don't get me wrong here, I would LOVE to own one. At lease you will get to shoot it. Hopefully he can supply the $4/round ammunition. Good luck in your search.

Formermonroehand

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Dutchtown
    I don't know much about the .50 cal., mostly because I would never spend that much on a gun, so it doesn't really interest me at all. Can you shoot these at most outdoor ranges like Nick's, etc? I have only been at one range where a guy was shooting one. Everytime he shot, we had to stop and clear out from under the roof due to noise and percussion or whatever else the damn thing does. This was a 200 yard range. Just curious.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    That is something to think about. A lot of ranges do not allow the .50 bmg due to the noise and the amount of damage they do to the backstop / burm.
    I had a friend that shot through the burm at the range in Lake Charles. They weren't too happy. :D

Art

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Actually, a lot of ranges in Louisiana can't accommodate .50BMG's due to a regulation saying that there must be something like 7-8 miles of undeveloped land behind it.....more than what's required for smaller calibers. That's according to Ricky, owner of Southern Shooting Center. Also a .50BMG will punch through a good bit of berm as it's been stated already.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    IF you dont mind the drive, I put my hand on one Saturday at Dads pawn in gulfport ms. semi goes for about 15.000 to 20.000 good luck

SHOW ME where someone will pay $15,000- $20,000.

I have the 82/107... and I will SO sell it at that price!
    (And then go buy 2)

http://www.barrettrifles.com/DiscussionForum_YAF/default.aspx?g=forum

^ People sell there, and you can ask about dealers, having them in stock etc...

I am no expert, but have taken both of their shooting classes and am a Barrett armorer.
    Feel free to ask, I will help if I can.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    IF you dont mind the drive, I put my hand on one Saturday at Dads pawn in gulfport ms. semi goes for about 15.000 to 20.000 good luck

I was going to say...

You can buy an EDM Windrunner with interchangeable .50BMG and .408CT barrels and STILL have enough left over for USO scopes, mounts, and a good bit of ammo in both calibers for $20,000!!

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Well as stated earlier the 15k to 20k is just plain wrong. If you look around you should be able to find a Barrett Semi Auto w/ optics for about 8500 maybe less (I have not looked in a few months but less than 6 months I had checked prices and with a little searching I found some at that price). I would defenately get one out of state to save the taxes. The shipping should be about 150 just because of the weight and I guess they do make some money on that as well. He also may have problems finding a range that will allow him to shoot. Make sure he is well aware of this before buying. Almost need some private land to shoot on.

As far a Daves in Lafayette I dont think you would be going there since you live in Dutchtown but when I was in the market for one in 2006 they said they could not get me a 29" model. They tried to get me to buy the 20" model that they had in stock. They still have one not sure if it is the same gun. I got on the horn and found one on my own. Young guy he doesent work there anymore said just buy this one it is better. Stated trying to give me all kind of specs on it and I called him on some of his errors. I had been looking at them for a long time and had the specs down. I asked him how is giving up over 300 fps for a long range sniper weapon better. I was in there about 1-2 months back and bougth some .50 ammo and they guy checking me out said that the .50 BMG is so powerful you dont have to get hit with the bullet and it will tear you apart it just has to pass close to you. It wasnt even worth replying I just grabed my merchandise and walked out. So all of the pro Dave's comments I would be weary of. The only person I have not dealt with in there is Dave himself the owner so I cant say about him, he may be very knowledgeable.

Also for accuracy I would get one of the bolt actions. The 99 is the best on accuracy in the Barrett line anyway. The 82/107 is about a 2-3moa gun and that is about it. So if he wants alot of firepower with supreme rate of fire in a .50 then that is the gun for him. If he wants true long range accuracy steer clear of the 82. And if he has 15-20k to spend on one tell him you have found a deal for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom