Bashing the 243

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    I have had several cool rifles in 243 Winchester they were all very accurate but it seemed every time I shot something it was less than a good kill. All but for one exception I Killed a tripple on wild hogs with one, all DRT. Later a coyote took 4 good hits, a jackrabbit had to be blood trailed about 15 yards. And one deer went a mile, while another took 3 in the lungs before it walked in a creek and drowned.

Right now the smallest cal I have is a 270 Winchester which does not have these problems.

Of course the minumum deer cartrige seems to be the 243 and or the 30-30 Winchester. Inside 100 yards the 30-30 gets my vote.

Im planning a CZ-550 FS in 6.5X55 SE and most likely a 9.3X62 just like it later. The 6.5 for now as a sub 30 cal deer rifle seems better than the 243 for my type of hunting.

Anyone else had a bad experience with a 243.

david mitchell

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    near mandeville
    I have a 243 model 70 that has taken many critters, shot placement is critical using a sub caliber on deer sized game. I did shoot 1 doe 3 times in the chest cavity before she went down. One year in VA I shot 3 deer in the neck and earned the nick name of "Neck Shot"all of thoes were 1 shot, then they said that I was wasting the neck roast. I now use a 338 federal Kimber and it works well. Using Barnes triple shock it shot throught a bull elk.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    I have a 243 model 70 that has taken many critters, shot placement is critical using a sub caliber on deer sized game. I did shoot 1 doe 3 times in the chest cavity before she went down. One year in VA I shot 3 deer in the neck and earned the nick name of "Neck Shot"all of thoes were 1 shot, then they said that I was wasting the neck roast. I now use a 338 federal Kimber and it works well. Using Barnes triple shock it shot throught a bull elk.

Nothing wrong with shooting a deer in the neck if you can do it. I do that now and then with a 30-06, that 338 federal is a DRT Rifle for sure. Shot place ment is not everything however, it takes a proper bullet and and enough power as well. I think the 6.5 will be about right to add to the 270,30-06, 325 and 45-70.:)

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I have never used the 243 but I shot a 6 point at 40 yds with a 7mm WSM in the lungs and he ran 100yds before he went down. Some run farther than others when hit.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    I've seen a small doe (about 75lbs) take a perfect shot to the heart from a 130gr bullet out of a .270 and break into RUN for 100 yards. Field dressing confirmed that the bullet broke one leg, ground beefed the heart and punched thru both lungs. Discounting a CNS hit some things can keep going some distance........

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    The .243 is one of my favorite calibers. Its a flat shooting round good to 1000 yards. It will kill deer with ease. You can do lots with the round if you reload and if you dont you can find ammo for it anywhere that sells ammo. Walmart stocks a pile of it.

Its a good caliber.

Last edited:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I've seen a small doe (about 75lbs) take a perfect shot to the heart from a 130gr bullet out of a .270 and break into RUN for 100 yards. Field dressing confirmed that the bullet broke one leg, ground beefed the heart and punched thru both lungs. Discounting a CNS hit some things can keep going some distance........

It's crazy how things work out...

I had a heart shot on a doe with a Trophy Bonded Bear claw and she dropped...

Put another heart shot on a buck with a High Energy Trophy Bonded Bear claw and he ran 60 yards without a drop of blood. Talk about a terrible feeling when you think you missed a 100yd shot.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY

I left out that this deer was shot from about 50 yds too. The bullet just pulverized the inside of this doe but it suddenly developed the strength to run away........if I hadn't been in the stand with my brother-in-law and helped dress it I would have never believed it.

Top Bottom