Battle of the Snubbies: Colt vs. S&W

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jvr

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    new orleans
    python has a different spring (scissor style) vs coil spring in the smith. I have had a lot of smiths; still have some; none as smooth as a python because of the spring difference. we can argue on what side of the bread needs the butter. imo the python was the best mass produced wheel gun made. Especially in the 60's thur 80"s (there are a lot of boutique gun makers now). as for wear….mine have all been safe queens and the smiths / rugers were work horses.

NickelPython357

Revolverist
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I thought this was a good read when I was looking into buying a Python.

http://grantcunningham.com/blog_files/colt_python_delicate.html

This is a very informative piece on the inner workings of a Colt Python. I like all quality revolvers be they Colt, Smith, Remington or whatever, but I definitely consider my Colts the best of the bunch. As an investment you cannot do better than buying and hanging on to Colts. I have bought and sold many Colt revolvers and always made money, usually a lot more than originally paid. Colt revolvers especially the Python using the leaf type spring instead of the wound spring of a S&W does not give the "stacking" effect that results from the coils in the wound spring touching while under compression in double action firing. This makes a Colt inherently smoother all the way through the double action stroke. Smooth as glass. A well tuned Python is a real pleasure to shoot double action. As to the point of snubbies I do have a .38 Diamondback that is also super smooth. I had a very nice Detective Special .38 that was a pawn shop find years ago, but unfortunately had to sell it. I also have a Taurus 441 3 in. .44 special that is a near snub LOL

PICT0038.jpg
    My 2 inch .38 Colt Diamondback

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    A good Gunsmith who really knows Colt can remove the stacking. My Colt Cobra that I carry has no stacking. But I sent it to Grant Cunningham.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    A good Gunsmith who really knows Colt can remove the stacking. My Colt Cobra that I carry has no stacking. But I sent it to Grant Cunningham.

Is there a good wheel gun smith in the state? Clark maybe, but that's all I can think of. I'm not sure I'd use him unless I was wanting a competition package on a S&W.

marmy7451

Bill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Livingston Parish
    Frank Genusa (Money Matters, Denham Springs) does great work and is very reasonable. He rebarrelled an Agent and a Detective Spec. for me and provided the smoothest actions imaginable. The only problem with keeping the old colts running is the difficulty in finding parts.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I used him. He couldn't carry grant cunningham's tool box. I brought a police positive to him. I'll wait for a spot in Cunningham's schedule first. I did more to improve the DA pull than he did.

Dave

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I own a couple of J frames. I have never had problems with them.
    The Colt Cobra I owned stopped turning while shooting pre-qual. I sold it and went back to Smith. I still like Colts, but trust my life to the Smiths.

Top Bottom