Battleship. Really.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    http://battleship.movie-trailer.com/

So they are making a movie based on the board game "Battleship."

What is wrong with Hollywood? How can that board game influence the plot of a movie at all? Why can't they make this movie about battleships fighting aliens as its own thing? Why the link to the board game, especially since the game had nothing at all to do with aliens.

I'm getting tired of movies. Every single movie they make these days is a re-make or adaptation of something. We've had almost all the superheroes now and every popular book series, even popular books from yesteryear. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the comic book movies when they are good, but it just seems so silly that we get several of them every year. What happens when they run out of different superheroes?

Why can't they just write a movie to be a movie? It seems the only movies that are written as movies anymore are the indie comedies or whatever, and that's not really my cup o' tea. You would think with all the talent in this country and the people out there with nothing better to do would write something good, at least now and again.

Ok, rant over. But really, how could this movie be good in any way?

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Im not a fan of the superhero movies.....although I know lots who are. They make millions and I guess that is the reason they are making so many. I personally wish they would do some more good western movies cause that is what I like. I dont mean the comic cowboy movie like whatever that new Jona Hex is. I mean a real one.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I agree. I like westerns, but they made so many back in the day that people are probably just tired of them. That's what I think is going to happen with all these superhero movies soon enough.

I actually have a few issues of Jonah Hex that my friend gave me. They were pretty good for comic books, but from what I have seen of the movie trailers the movie looks kinda silly. I mean two gatling guns attached to a horse? I'm not so sure.

I mean, I really liked the new 3:10 to Yuma, but even that was a re-make. Clint Eastwood should direct another western before he kicks the bucket.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Hollywood is largely turning out crap these days, IMHO. It just seems that the market is being dominated by crappy movies in involving Will Farrell, Ben Stiller,the Wilson Brother with the broken nose, or that fat guy from "Knocked Up". Basically, they are producing movies aimed at the 15-24 year old crowd, with the results being the junk outweighs the good stuff hands down.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I don't remember the last comedy that I really liked (probably Hot Fuzz), and every action movie they make is based on a comic book, video game, or is some kind of remake (I'm trying to be excited about Predators, but it can't be as good as the first simply because we already know what the predators are from the beginning).

Hopefully The Expendables isn't crappy. It isn't a remake and it isn't a comic book (to my knowledge). However, I'm afraid it might fail if it is based on the fact that it has all the action stars ever in it rather than trying to be a good movie in and of itself.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    The plague of the "man" movies: Ironman, Batman*, Spiderman, X-man... They are crap and they make money. There's still good films being made, just look outside of Hollywood and what's released to mega theaters.

*The last Batman was actually the first decent of the franchise.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I agree. I like westerns, but they made so many back in the day that people are probably just tired of them. That's what I think is going to happen with all these superhero movies soon enough.

I actually have a few issues of Jonah Hex that my friend gave me. They were pretty good for comic books, but from what I have seen of the movie trailers the movie looks kinda silly. I mean two gatling guns attached to a horse? I'm not so sure.

I mean, I really liked the new 3:10 to Yuma, but even that was a re-make. Clint Eastwood should direct another western before he kicks the bucket.

Yeah.....there are a couple new westerns that are supposed to be happening.....although still remakes.

The Lone Ranger
    True Grit

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Did you realize this movie is actually being made right here in Baton Rouge? The Battleship set is right next door to me. It's a huge movie and great thing for our local economy.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Did you realize this movie is actually being made right here in Baton Rouge? The Battleship set is right next door to me. It's a huge movie and great thing for our local economy.

I'm glad it is helping our economy, but that doesn't mean I'm going to think it is a good idea for a movie.

Its like offshore drilling. It is great for our economy but sometimes spews crap everywhere.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    We need more movies from people like Mr. Eastwood and John Milius.

The Western is not dead- they just don't make nearly as many of them- and that's sad. Some think they won't sell, but I disagree. Classic Westerns are part of our national identity, and the idea shouldn't be shelved.

BTW, I enjoyed the new 3:10 To Yuma, as well. Open Range, Broken Trail....They've made a few good ones fairly recently....

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Obama got elected, and one of his biggest supporting age groups is the college age population. That should tell you all you need to know about the target audience.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA

The Western is not dead- they just don't make nearly as many of them- and that's sad. Some think they won't sell, but I disagree. Classic Westerns are part of our national identity, and the idea shouldn't be shelved.

BTW, I enjoyed the new 3:10 To Yuma, as well. Open Range, Broken Trail....They've made a few good ones fairly recently....

I wish someone would make a movie about John Wesley Hardin. I know in the past movie makers have shyed away from him due to him being a real killer.....but in today's world I think it would make a good movie if done right.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Another good recent Western: Appaloosa

I agree that most of what the movie industry does these days is garbage. I don't have a problem with adaptations from books or comics as long as a good job is done. The problem is, most of the time... It's just a weak attempt in order to make a quick buck.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Another good recent Western: Appaloosa

I agree that most of what the movie industry does these days is garbage. I don't have a problem with adaptations from books or comics as long as a good job is done. The problem is, most of the time... It's just a weak attempt in order to make a quick buck.

They like to alter the original stories, often producing crap.

Morgan Allison

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Houma

I've been watching Have Gun - Will Travel on netflix, and I can't get enough. Wish they'd make a good movie out of it. Some talk about a movie version, but with Eminem as Paladin, so "good" is pretty much out of the question.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Westerns should be cheap to make. Very little special effects, etc. It should be easy to make a profit on them. I could go for a good western...

I've enjoyed a few of the comic book movies- Iron Man (though I haven't seen pt 2 yet), the new batmans, etc.

I saw somewhere that there are two more 'Alien' movies in production. That's another series that started out great but they won't let die. Its right up there with Rocky and Rambo.

How about another war movie made in the style of Blackhawk Down? It was well executed and realistic without being a gore fest.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I've been watching Have Gun - Will Travel on netflix, and I can't get enough. Wish they'd make a good movie out of it. Some talk about a movie version, but with Eminem as Paladin, so "good" is pretty much out of the question.

Eminem as Paladin??? Say it ain't so, Joe!

Hmmmm....A serious question: Who would make a good Paladin? Russell Crowe might.....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom