Bayou Dragon indoor range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cornbread504

Drink coffee and destroy.
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Uptown NOLA
    I've always been more of a fan of shooting indoors... maybe it's because when I'm outside I have a tendency to waste way more ammo for no reason and put less focus on becoming proficient with the weapons at hand. On the other hand, so many indoor ranges restrict caliber usage cutting out the usage of any rifles bigger than a .22 and usually restrict your shooting to one shot every 1-2 seconds. These guys just let you do what needs to be done as long as they feel you are doing it without being a liability.

This is where my dad used to take me when i was a kid and I haven't been back since i was 13 or 14. Sure enough, I walk in and the same fella is sitting behind the counter in the same chair having the same debate with someone as last time I was there 15ish years ago. It's not a fancy place. There's no wall of holsters and tactical gear, no big display about crimson trace grips... just a few guns and some wood paneling. I got there right at noon when they open so it was just me in the range, which is 50 yds I think. Eventually one other fella came in and fired a shot every 5 minutes or so, I think he was sighting in a scope or something. I was able to pull off full speed mag dumps on target out of several pistols and my SKS without hearing any lip about it or being asked to slow down.

I live in Uptown nola on Magazine St so there are much closer places to me, but after the experience I had there the other day, along with the lack of restrictions, i would rather drive out to the ass end of Marrero out by Lafitte and give these fellas my business any day.

Info for Bayou Dragon can be found here

Trachito

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    NOLA metro
    just looked them up. thanks for the info. they aren't too far from my house.

how much were they, though? i didn't see it on their fb.

**nvm. just called. $20 per lane.

Last edited:

Cornbread504

Drink coffee and destroy.
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Uptown NOLA
    also I should mention this... range time was (i think) $23, but you aren't charged by time there. You have that lane to yourself all day if you want and if you have a second person with you its no extra to share the lane. they throw in a few targets also

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I bought a lifetime membership there back when they opened around '94 or so. Place hasn't changed at all.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    i think last time i was there... they said the rifle range was 75 yards. cool people....

75 yards is legit for indoor. Its been so long since ive been there. I played paintball there when i was younger, good people. I would not want to clean a 75 yard indoor range after cleaning the 25 yard one @ barneys nightly.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I am very happy to have Bayou Dragon as an option to shoot in.

The rifle range is 50 yds.

You can go 2 on a lane and split the cost. That is what I like to do any way. I can also get 2 lanes for the membership price so that helps. 3 or 4 people on 2 lanes works pretty well.

Overall I like the place. I bought a lifetime membership. There are periods when I go weekly and then periods when I don't go for months. Bottom line for me is I can drive 15 minutes and shoot anything I own on a week night. I bought the membership for the ability to get a decent sight in or a function test in on a week night. I have even load tested in a pinch. I have shot .223 .270, .308 and .30-06 in there. Primarily I shoot .22lr in there. It is more of a pistol range with rifle capability.

There are 2 ranges in there. One does not have rifle capability if I have it correct.

Bayou Dragon is not perfect but no range is. My complaints about the place are of a practical nature. Really more of observations. I just manage to love the place, warts and all. I never go there when shooting outside was a viable option.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    75 yards is legit for indoor. Its been so long since ive been there. I played paintball there when i was younger, good people. I would not want to clean a 75 yard indoor range after cleaning the 25 yard one @ barneys nightly.

Don't worry. I'm pretty sure the folks at Bayou Dragon haven't cleaned the range since it was built. The filth there is indescribable, and the low-lives that fan you with their Hi-Points scare the crap out of me. The worst was when the guy running the place told some gangsta that he didn't know anything about guns, but that guy over there (me) can fix it for ya. That was the last time I went to BD. Why go there when you can shoot at the Stennis Buffer Zone for free?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Don't worry. I'm pretty sure the folks at Bayou Dragon haven't cleaned the range since it was built. The filth there is indescribable, and the low-lives that fan you with their Hi-Points scare the crap out of me. The worst was when the guy running the place told some gangsta that he didn't know anything about guns, but that guy over there (me) can fix it for ya. That was the last time I went to BD. Why go there when you can shoot at the Stennis Buffer Zone for free?

Elaborate on the Stennis Buffer Zone. Where?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

In all my times there I have never experienced anything like this. If anything I have seen more stupid stuff at the BZ than anywhere else. Granted some of the stupid stuff was good entertainment.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    The new pit is hardly ever used. Only once did I even see another person there, and it was a Hancock County Sheriff.

I think I know what you mean about the old pit. Too many local yokels knew about it, and trashed it.

The Stennis pit is widely discussed in This thread. It's a sticky in this forum. There are two pits discussed. The old one which is now closed and in the process of being converted to a range for the Hancock County Sheriff's Office, and the new one where you are allowed to shoot.

Be respectful there, please. Pack out your trash (targets and brass included), and PLEASE do not bring garbage to shoot. The old pit became disgusting, because people used it as a dump.

Top Bottom