BayouShooter Improvements and Changelog

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    So, if the pretender uses Executive Privilege to dismantle parts of the 2nd Amendment, it's not because he is a phony liberal anti-gun ideological douche?
    The point is that it doesn't matter why he did it. He's (hypothetically) doing it, and it's perfectly germane to discuss the acts, the impacts, what you can do to resist it and advocate for overturning/opposition, etc, but it serves no purpose and adds nothing to the discussion to have post after post ranting about the (D) before his name, or how he's a "phony liberal" (I'm honestly not even sure how to digest that in this context)

Honestly the only effect of ranting about his party affiliation is to alienate people.

Pro-tip, even people who hate Obama and don't like liberal ideology sometimes don't want to be around a bunch of bitchy people going on and on about how much they hate <politicians> and how little they think of <people> or <idea>, and plenty of people like that don't want to have to sift through dozens of posts of liberal-bashing and politician-slandering to see if there is anything useful in the thread to read.

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I think a YouTube section for videos would be nice. Also a NSFW section possibly. Extra mods I don't think ever is a bad idea. I have been a mod on multiple stock boards and gladly would lend a hand. But overall BS is a great forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I think JNieman is exactly right. Off topic needs to be off topic or it needs to be eliminated. As it is now, its just a place for people to post stuff they want in front of more eyes. Like the guy posting about a revolver scope here after making another thread in the pistol section. This should be the bearpit of topic collection, not where everything goes.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The point is that it doesn't matter why he did it. He's (hypothetically) doing it, and it's perfectly germane to discuss the acts, the impacts, what you can do to resist it and advocate for overturning/opposition, etc, but it serves no purpose and adds nothing to the discussion to have post after post ranting about the (D) before his name, or how he's a "phony liberal" (I'm honestly not even sure how to digest that in this context)

Honestly the only effect of ranting about his party affiliation is to alienate people.

Pro-tip, even people who hate Obama and don't like liberal ideology sometimes don't want to be around a bunch of bitchy people going on and on about how much they hate <politicians> and how little they think of <people> or <idea>, and plenty of people like that don't want to have to sift through dozens of posts of liberal-bashing and politician-slandering to see if there is anything useful in the thread to read.

Why does anyone here think they are compelled to enter into a discussion in the Off Topic section? I just don't get that.

For instance: A member is looking over the "New Posts." He/she sees a thread just started, called "This guy is an anti-gun douche!" He/she (being a member and all), knows from history that this could be germane to the forum, or complete nonsense; hell it may even peak their interest. HOWEVER: He/she also notices that it is in the Off Topic section. Which also means it could be a discussion between members that could get interesting because the guys who don't like the Off Topic are most likely going to be commenting as well?!?

I don't get it! If anyone believes it has no value, STOP CHECKING IN!

I get a weird (and it's VERY weird), sense that some folks are actually jealous of the attention the Off Topic draws from them? :dunno:

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm talking about the effects that the non-germane discussions have on other sections. People continue their ******** into other threads. The inside jokes, the bitterness over other topics, etc. It's pervasive.

It'd be one thing if the off topic section were isolated and /quarantined/ but it's infectious. As I just showed, as well, plenty of NOT-off-topic threads (more than actually off-topic) are in the OT section, so you end up in OT many times, without realizing it's an OT thread, and are subjected to all the discussion 'styles' that people apply to OT threads.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm talking about the effects that the non-germane discussions have on other sections. People continue their ******** into other threads. The inside jokes, the bitterness over other topics, etc. It's pervasive.

It'd be one thing if the off topic section were isolated and /quarantined/ but it's infectious. As I just showed, as well, plenty of NOT-off-topic threads (more than actually off-topic) are in the OT section, so you end up in OT many times, without realizing it's an OT thread, and are subjected to all the discussion 'styles' that people apply to OT threads.

That's a valid point! Why does that transfer over to eliminating the Off Topic section?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    That's a valid point! Why does that transfer over to eliminating the Off Topic section?
    Take away the source of the problem, the problem should disappear. I didn't think it was that big of a leap.

At this point I'm done cluttering the thread up. I made my suggestion, and why I made it, and I think beyond this it's just pointless. It's up to the administration to consider it, and I'm more than happy to discuss it with them. I think discussing it with anyone else is irrelevant.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    What does it take to even get a reply to the 4-5 suggestion that one made yesterday. Its like they are ghost, and just passed up, when you said that all suggestion would be addressed or replied to/explained.
    I went through this thread and either copied and pasted every suggestion, or summed it up in a separate forum where we are discussing them. For some, the decision was made very quickly. Some I made the decision myself. Others are thrown out, and many more are up for debate still. I said all suggestions would be considered, not that I would address or reply to every one of them.
    I think a YouTube section for videos would be nice. Also a NSFW section possibly. Extra mods I don't think ever is a bad idea. I have been a mod on multiple stock boards and gladly would lend a hand. But overall BS is a great forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    A YouTube section is off topic. Any gun related YouTube videos can be posted in their respective forums. A NSFW section is not an option as we want to keep the forum as close to family friendly as possible. As mentioned, the premium forum is a lot more lack on the rules and more is allowed.

I like the idea of threads in the OT that don't belong here being moved to their respective forums. It will be discussed.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Take away the source of the problem, the problem should disappear. I didn't think it was that big of a leap.

At this point I'm done cluttering the thread up. I made my suggestion, and why I made it, and I think beyond this it's just pointless. It's up to the administration to consider it, and I'm more than happy to discuss it with them. I think discussing it with anyone else is irrelevant.
    Eliminating the off topic section entirely won't alleviate the problem. People will still want to discuss many of the issues that are posted here and they will just move to other forums. I think limiting the off topic section to just off topic topics will be a good start. Also, off topic is at the top of the board...I think moving it down lower might be better. Does anyone want to list suggestions on how they would like to see the board setup assuming we keep all current forums and just change the order.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Remove picture requirement on classifieds.

I posted a wanted ad and offered some stuff I would be willing to trade. Got moved to bearpit because my offered mags and ammo didn't have any pictures. Put up some worthless stock pick of ammo and mags to keep the ad alive.

People know what new ammo and mags look like.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Not sure if already recommended, but all the "non-firearm items" can be merged together I think. I never click them individually. But that's just me.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    One more:

Please remove the add'l contact info needed in marketplace.

If someone can use the forum they can use PM's.

Posting my email, phone or home address just leads to spam.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    One more:

Please remove the add'l contact info needed in marketplace.

If someone can use the forum they can use PM's.

Posting my email, phone or home address just leads to spam.

I agree with that. A second form of contact is probably a good idea for guys that don't keep their PM box clean, but I don't think it should be mandatory. If people really want to sell their stuff they'll figure it out.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I agree with that. A second form of contact is probably a good idea for guys that don't keep their PM box clean, but I don't think it should be mandatory. If people really want to sell their stuff they'll figure it out.

I agree as well.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    A section for Electronics to cover the basis of GPS, Audio, Computers, Cameras, etc.... all of which are popular items and would love to be able to at least look through one marketplace for just that. Also under marketplace Firearms would be subdivided by Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Rimfire. Even the addition of a subforum in the marketplace for all accessories for firearms, including scopes, sights, and everything else that people add to their firearm.

Top Bottom