Be careful of what you shoot

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    So, I walk into a meeting this morning with a bunch of guys that I know and one of them says something to the affect that "Jim" has something in common with me as he had been hit by a riccochet. The story was that he was shooting on Saturday at some steel plates at 20 yards with an AR-15 using 55 gr ball and 62 gr green tip ball. Although the green tip was zipping through the plate with regularity; however, one riccocheted and hit him in the side of the head. It broke the skin and raised a heck of a lump. He didn't want to go to the hospital because he didn't want to deal with questions concerning a gunshot wound so he put ice and antibiotic cream on it. The swelling went down and he went on like nothing happened.

Fast forward to today. During the meeting which lasted about 7 hours, I tried to get him to go to the urgent care facility. After lunch, he was asking for some advil because he had a headache which he said he had gotten in the afternoons since the accident. We finally got him to go to the urgent care facility where they x-rayed his head. Guess what - he has a bullet in his head. It had penetrated through the bone and then an additional 1/2".

Lessons to be taken from this - 1) don't shoot at hard surfaces with steel core bullets; 2) bullet wounds do not necesarily look like bullet wounds. Sometimes entrance wounds look like minor cuts. 3) If you are hit by a projectile, go seek medical attention.

Dan

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    Holy ****!!! Are they going to remove it? I hate those damn Penetrators on steel. I had to dig a piece of Steel jacket from my shoulder recently. Just a small puncture through my shirt and I found a large piece with t-shirt fragment on it on the floor but turned out there was a bit that had made it into my shoulder.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    He said the bullet is in his head. My bet it is only the penetrator. Only being a relative term for something that can kill you.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    He said the bullet is in his head. My bet it is only the penetrator. Only being a relative term for something that can kill you.

This may be very important to the wounded one in the future. A steel projectile in the cranium may make him ineligible for MRI exams.

He should see a neurosurgeon without delay.

leVieux

Rabbit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Carencro, LA
    20yds??? WOW...I would have thought that even non-gun people would know better than that.

That is more than enough distance, would think that a shooter would know better than that.....

The ANGLE is more important... remember folks 15 degree deflection!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Wow....Best wishes for your friend.

Something you never expect, but could always happen.....

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^LOL!

I also caught a minor ricochet many years ago. I still have two scraps of metal in me- one in each leg. He's lucky it wasn't worse!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    ^LOL!

I also caught a minor ricochet many years ago. I still have two scraps of metal in me- one in each leg. He's lucky it wasn't worse!

The piece of jacket the took out of my arm was a minor ricochet. A steel penetrator in the brain doesn't fall in that category.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Damn! Not cool. Glad to hear that he's OK. Could have been worse. I'm wondering how your average range glasses, I'm assuming he was wearing them, would handle a ricochet from 20 yards.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom