Bear at my feeder

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • webb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA. / Mobile, AL.
    Me and "Formermonroehand" put out a feeder to see what we were working with as far as deer go. We got quite a surprise when this thing decided to pose. I realize the year is wrong so no need to point it out. I can tell you this pic is authentic and recent.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Here's a question for any "Bearologists" out there.... Anyone know if it's true that black bears attack more humans (nationally) than all other bears combined? I heard this once, but all I've ever heard the LDWF say is they are "shy" and will usually run away. I suppose a mother with cubs could be dangerous, but the 2 I've seen around Red River / Three Rivers WMAs seemed only like they wanted to vacate the area as soon as they noticed me.
    I have heard of some folks around the Lottie area having serious bear mischief performed on their camps, though....

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    We had an interesting incident at Red River WMA a few years back. There were two black bears (smallish by all accounts) that went to and started up a tree that Mel's cousin was hunting out of. The one only went front paws up on the and he scared it away but needless to say he was scared shitless. :rofl:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    We had an interesting incident at Red River WMA a few years back. There were two black bears (smallish by all accounts) that went to and started up a tree that Mel's cousin was hunting out of. The one only went front paws up on the and he scared it away but needless to say he was scared shitless. :rofl:

What gets me is all of the signs they put out warning people to not mistakenly shoot a bear for a hog. I suppose they "could" look similar from a distance when you think about it, but the last bear I saw personally(late last summer) looked a lot like 2 guys in a horse costume. That thing was all legs....

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    Here's a question for any "Bearologists" out there.... Anyone know if it's true that black bears attack more humans (nationally) than all other bears combined? I heard this once, but all I've ever heard the LDWF say is they are "shy" and will usually run away. I suppose a mother with cubs could be dangerous, but the 2 I've seen around Red River / Three Rivers WMAs seemed only like they wanted to vacate the area as soon as they noticed me.
    I have heard of some folks around the Lottie area having serious bear mischief performed on their camps, though....

I've heard that too. I dont know if it is that they have MORE attacks, but I believe that it comes from the fact that there are more black bears than most other species.

I know up in the northeast, they have a lot of issues with the black bear populations due to the destruction of their habitat and overcrowding. Not to mention the Grizzly population is normally located in areas where humans are less populous. That is probably why there are more incidents involving black bears.

This is my guess at an answer for you oleheat. If anyone knows better, please correct my guess.

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Most dangerous bear is

bear-grylls.jpg

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Had a black bear experience in Florida once.
    Saw a couple of black furry things climb a tree ahead of us on the trail.
    Just as i figured out they were BEARS, I heard MAMA Grunting.
    Never saw mama, Turned and moved away very quickly and quietly.

Okay, I just about crapped my pants and ran.

Wish I had a camera.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom