Beats vs Bose. I know I know... but hear me out

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm a musician and appreciate excellent quality in my headsets. For MY music I have sennheiser studio's that i'd never leave the house with.

But to wear to the gym, are Beats the best "bang for buck" over-ear headset available? I've had countless pairs of junk earbuds for the gym and I always hate the sound.

139.99 new, but they are all over ebay for 40-75.00. Reliability certainly questionable, but is this a tier 1 headset to have in the gym bag/plane ride/road trip?

I mean, at 140 you can have Bose QC for 170 which is absolutely no contest but not necessarily something I'd want to drag to the gym.

At 50-70.00 I'm having a hard time not splurging. Anyone own a pair? Anyone take it to the gym/plane/etc?

Comfort?
    Quality?
    Sound?
    ? anyone?

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    beware of knockoffs, only buy from trusted sellers. There were tons of Beats knockoffs in the markets in London, I bet it's the same here I just never noticed.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    welp, that explains the price discrepancies on ebay.

dang. any idea how to tell the fakes? They all say "with original box/booklets" but I know that doesn't mean much.

I certainly don't think these headsets are comparable to other 150.00 headsets. Dre needs to reevaluate if he seriously thinks hes competing with bose dollar for dollar.

Moreover, I'm not paying that much for a headset for the gym. 50-70 bucks I'd splurge on because I've used the same headset now for 5 years without damage/misplacing. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't considered that they were that popular to fake.

Last edited:

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    just buy some $50 skullcandy over ear headphones...I see no difference between them and the infamous beats by dre...

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I would hesitate to buy a beats after having your set, or mine.. the sure se215 set.. for a few bucks more than you were wanting to spend, the 215 would get you over the ear, sound isolating and replaceable cables..

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I don't think anything by Beats is going to be a good value. There's a pretty high tax on being stylish. I'd try to find another set of Sennheisers.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Dre is marketing a brand towards a demographic. I've never cared enough to find out if they actually were good performance-wise compared to the industry leaders, I've always written them off as a fashion fad.

TAS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Daughter has Beats and the twins have Skull Candy. I actuall like the Skull Candy sound better. For $140 cheaper too!

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Beats doesn't have anything good except the Studio Pros (which are phenomenal live sound headphones). Anything less is fragile and has subpar sound.

TEB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2013
    Louisiana
    welp, that explains the price discrepancies on ebay.

dang. any idea how to tell the fakes? They all say "with original box/booklets" but I know that doesn't mean much.

I certainly don't think these headsets are comparable to other 150.00 headsets. Dre needs to reevaluate if he seriously thinks hes competing with bose dollar for dollar.

Moreover, I'm not paying that much for a headset for the gym. 50-70 bucks I'd splurge on because I've used the same headset now for 5 years without damage/misplacing. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't considered that they were that popular to fake.

I'd say the vast majority you see for sale online are knockoffs. The fakes are pretty convincing, too - complete packaging, manuals, individual serial numbers, etc. That said, the real ones aren't all that impressive. I prefer my Bose as far as sound quality is concerned, but I've had huge problems keeping the cord from tearing where it meets the headphones. I've been through three in-ear and two around-ear sets, and none lasted me very long at all. One in-ear set didn't even last me a month, and I was extremely careful with it since I already knew how prone to breaking it was.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    I actually just bought did a little research on this. Beats are good if all you want is BASS. Sorry since your looking for over ear I can't help you since I was looking for in ear

Top Bottom