Before modern sprays.... what was used for bug repellant in the old days?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    A friend of mine who had been an Army Ranger told me this:

He went camping with a group of his friends and their wives. Everyone there was having fits dealing with mosquitios. He never did. He said, that if you use deodorant and take baths the mosquitos will eat you up. He learned in Ranger school that when going to the field do not take a bath or use deodorant 3 days prior to going. The bugs will, for the most part, leave you alone.

Also, backj in the 50's there was a liquid called 612 sold in bottle, you rubbed it on, it worked pretty well.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    A friend of mine who had been an Army Ranger told me this:

He went camping with a group of his friends and their wives. Everyone there was having fits dealing with mosquitios. He never did. He said, that if you use deodorant and take baths the mosquitos will eat you up. He learned in Ranger school that when going to the field do not take a bath or use deodorant 3 days prior to going. The bugs will, for the most part, leave you alone.

Also, backj in the 50's there was a liquid called 612 sold in bottle, you rubbed it on, it worked pretty well.

Sweet smells like perfume and deodorant attracts them.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If you take eldeberry leaves in your hand and crush the leaves the paste and juice will keep them away too, old bowhunting trick.

:o

The leaves, twigs, branches, seeds and roots contain a cyanide-inducing glycoside (a glycoside which gives rise to cyanide as the metabolism processes it). Ingesting any of these parts in sufficient quantity can cause a toxic build up of cyanide in the body.

Due to the possibility of cyanide poisoning, children should be discouraged from making whistles, slingshots or other toys from elderberry wood. In addition, "herbal teas" made with elderberry leaves (which contain cyanogenic glycosides) should be treated with high caution. However, ripe berries (pulp and skin) are safe to eat.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambucus#Toxicity

Top Bottom