BenchMade Offer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I've played with a Sebenza. Didn't like it. Don't like liner locks either.

The frame lock (aka chris reeve integral lock since invented by him) is extremely strong and actually my favorite lock. I also like the axis lock, back lock, compression lock, and liner lock but I prefer frame locks. That is a preference thing however and all of those locks have been tried and proven.

Yep I like benchmades way better than the chris reeve folder knives. I do like the chris reeves fixed blades though.

To each their own and like is definitely subjective. Personally my favorite blade is a Spyderco Caly 3 ZDP-189 it has beautiful carbon fiber scales and zdp-189 can be sharpened at angles that rival light saber sharp but you can't argue with the quality of a Chris Reeve knife the tolerances and overall build of the knife are 2nd to none in the production world. Benchmades tolerances, QC, etc can't even come close to comparing and they shouldn't because if they did the price would double.

I am personally trying to get a hold of a Lionsteel SR1 and a few other productions that look promising but I think everyone should know that the buck doesn't stop at benchmade, spyderco, kershaw etc. I personally think Spyderco is the best bang for your buck knife manufactuer and I also like how they give credit to different designers for their inventions instead of just renaming it but I think Benchmade (the US made models) are just as good and also a best bang for your buck knife manufacture. So benchmade being your favorite sure that is true but the BEST production blade manufacturer that is far from the truth.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    To each their own and like is definitely subjective. Personally my favorite blade is a Spyderco Caly 3 ZDP-189 it has beautiful carbon fiber scales and zdp-189 can be sharpened at angles that rival light saber sharp but you can't argue with the quality of a Chris Reeve knife the tolerances and overall build of the knife are 2nd to none in the production world. Benchmades tolerances, QC, etc can't even come close to comparing and they shouldn't because if they did the price would double.

That ZDP blade is a laminate, isn't it? I don't like the leaf blades that much, but it's a matter of taste. I have a Bob Lum Ti Chinese folder and a Sage 2.

It's so much a matter of taste. I love the Spyderco Kopas and AlMar Hawks but don't like small knives in general. I took delivery of a Spy Military and a BM Dejavoo, very similar knives, but I like the Dejavoo in hand much more. It just feels more comfortable.

I considered the Bradley Alias I vs the large Seb and didn't see what I was getting for the extra $200. Seb owners love them but I remain to be impressed. The Alias I is a really nice knife.

I have more BenchMades than any other brand and like them better than the Spydies, but that's a matter of taste. I like pointy blades. Got an older Spydie Jess Horn and it's a nice smaller knife. Really like that blade.

My favorite is a Brian Tighe Custom Pan. I'm EDC it now and love it. I really like the knives Chuck Gedraitis is producing. . . . .
    :squint:

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Since everyone is bragging.....I like my Dozier Folding Hunter!!!!!!

I do collect a lot of Benchmades and Protechs. Knifeworks.com is in Columbia, La. and "may" be one of the largest Benchmade Dealers. Roger keeps several hundred in stock and always has good prices. :cool:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    That ZDP blade is a laminate, isn't it? I don't like the leaf blades that much, but it's a matter of taste. I have a Bob Lum Ti Chinese folder and a Sage 2.

It's so much a matter of taste. I love the Spyderco Kopas and AlMar Hawks but don't like small knives in general. I took delivery of a Spy Military and a BM Dejavoo, very similar knives, but I like the Dejavoo in hand much more. It just feels more comfortable.

I considered the Bradley Alias I vs the large Seb and didn't see what I was getting for the extra $200. Seb owners love them but I remain to be impressed. The Alias I is a really nice knife.

I have more BenchMades than any other brand and like them better than the Spydies, but that's a matter of taste. I like pointy blades. Got an older Spydie Jess Horn and it's a nice smaller knife. Really like that blade.

My favorite is a Brian Tighe Custom Pan. I'm EDC it now and love it. I really like the knives Chuck Gedraitis is producing. . . . .
    :squint:

I looked up Brian Tighe and Chuck Geraitis and I think those are some sick blades. I like your style Tom. I am also a huge Lum fan. I have the benchmade onslaught and is freaking huge but definitely an awesome blade. I wish I could afford one of his customs.... Now that he is gone they are only going to get more expensive. I have one of the Spyderco Titanium bob lum tantos from the 1990's is it a sick blade.

Yah the Caly 3 - zdp-189 is a laminate. They are producing a ZDP-189 in ffg in the following models: Endura, Delica, Dragonfly, Stretch, and Ladybug. I have the blue zdp-189 stretch and it is awesome.

I agree the Bradley Alias which is made by benchmade is a top notch knife and I personally really dig the blade shape.

Chris reeve offers a couple different blade styles in the sebenza including a Tanto and one called the insigno both of which I don't like.

Like you said it all comes down to preference and I think we both can agree that you can't go wrong with a benchmade or a spyderco. Great manufactures....

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Since everyone is bragging.....I like my Dozier Folding Hunter!!!!!!

I do collect a lot of Benchmades and Protechs. Knifeworks.com is in Columbia, La. and "may" be one of the largest Benchmade Dealers. Roger keeps several hundred in stock and always has good prices. :cool:

They are great to do business with. I buy from Roger unless he doesn't have it.

Another nice thing is if, for example, I ordered something after I finish this, it usually will go out tomorrow, and I will receive it the following day. Doesn't work on the weekends, of course, but service is great.
    :cool:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I HEART Sebenzas. HEART. But most of the time there is a Spyderco Para-Military in my pocket I have 4 of them now. Although lately I have been carrying a Mini-SERE quite a bit. The US Made Spyderco stuff is really hard to beat.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I HEART Sebenzas. HEART. But most of the time there is a Spyderco Para-Military in my pocket I have 4 of them now. Although lately I have been carrying a Mini-SERE quite a bit. The US Made Spyderco stuff is really hard to beat.

What is it that makes a Seb worth $200 more than the Alias I? Looking at the specs/data, they are almost identical. I've not held a Seb, but there has to be something to elicit the love owners have for them. I couldn't justify the extra $$.

However, owners gush about how much they love them. They must be doing something right. I like the Umnumzaan.

I love the mini-SERE, too. AlMar makes nice stuff.

I think I like BenchMade better than Spydies but I have only one more of them. They both make really nice knives.
    :cool:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I haven't ever held an Alias I but to compare my Seb to my High End Spyderco and Al-Mar stuff isn't even close. The Seb is so much smoother and positive. I can't quantify it but it feels different. I also paid extra for it because it was a Seb, just like I paid extra for my Rolex. My G-Shock tells time as well but it isn't the same either. Panache cost I guess. For daily carry though I prefer the thinner profile of the Para or Mini-Sere.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    It's kind of like this;

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SP122GP is a pretty neat knife. Spec wise it is pretty similar to a Para-Military. Similar Steel, G10 Handles, close in size. The diffrence is when you hold the 2 the Tenacious feels like a Really nice $40 knife made in China. It's a great value. It's a better knife than blades that cost twice as much, but, it in no way feels as well made as the Para.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I haven't ever held an Alias I but to compare my Seb to my High End Spyderco and Al-Mar stuff isn't even close. The Seb is so much smoother and positive. I can't quantify it but it feels different. I also paid extra for it because it was a Seb, just like I paid extra for my Rolex. My G-Shock tells time as well but it isn't the same either. Panache cost I guess. For daily carry though I prefer the thinner profile of the Para or Mini-Sere.

I see what you are getting at and understand well. Makes sense to me now.

How does the Seb compare with the 'Zaan? I notice the latter is out of stock most places.

Thanks for the info.

Tom
    :)

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I really don't think you are paying for the Sebenza name. Do some searching Sal Glesser the owner of Spyderco did a write up on his forum about how Chris Reeve's Tolerances on his machines are incredibly strict. So strict that it forces the prices he asks for his blades.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The only Reeves' Knifes I own are the Sebenza and Mini-Yarborough. You are definitely not paying for the name. the difference in quality over other knives may not be appreciated by all and may not matter to most but it's there. I bought mine used for $225 so if your patient you can come in way under retail.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    The only Reeves' Knifes I own are the Sebenza and Mini-Yarborough. You are definitely not paying for the name. the difference in quality over other knives may not be appreciated by all and may not matter to most but it's there. I bought mine used for $225 so if your patient you can come in way under retail.

Agreed I bought my Large Sebenza 21 for 275.00 used and I traded a s90v carbon fiber Para2 for my umnumzaan straight when everyone was scrambling to get one. I purchased 4 of those bad boys and sold three of them and traded for the CRK.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I carry a Para more than any other knife. To me it is the perfect balance between utility and carryability. Part of it is my preference for G10 Handles. I need to hunt up a Delica with the G10 Handles.

Top Bottom