Beretta 92 for competition

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skyracer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    I know that the default pistol for most competition shooting is Glock, but what about the Beretta 92? Anyone have luck with such a weapon in competition?

henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    There are some that do use the 92 in competition with success, but most competitors you will see at matches use some sort of 1911 based platform or
    one of the polymer framed pistols, Glock, XD, or M&P....

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I know that the default pistol for most competition shooting is Glock, but what about the Beretta 92? Anyone have luck with such a weapon in competition?

Funny enough the only person I know that shoots one in competition won the US national championship the last two years. Google Ben Stoeger. He did just switch to a Tanfoglio this year.
    While they feel like a turd in my hand the gun will not hold you back. If you're talking USPSA or IDPA. If you are talking about Bullseye or some other competition ignore all of the above.

skyracer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Ok thanks for the info. What about a Glock 17 for competition? Is this a fairly common model in competition?

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Ok thanks for the info. What about a Glock 17 for competition? Is this a fairly common model in competition?

If your talking about USPSA or IDPA the 34 & 35 are the most popular glocks. If this is something your considering doing don't buy anything before your first match. You will be much better off showing up with what you have, talk to some people and form your own opinions about what gear you may want.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    IMO I've always done better with the 92 than Glock. I used to shoot PPC and off-duty with a 19, and never had a perfect score until I went against the grain of the other shooters opinions and ran a 92. I've always shot 92's since I started shooting,, and they just fit better in my hand. Would a 92 beat a Glock, Sig or 1911 in quality or accuracy being shot from a Ransom rest? probably not, but in my hand it works. When I worked for a local gun shop, I always advised new shooters to take the time, rent some pistols and revolvers, and see what works best for them. Glock may be the best of the best, but does that mean it's the ideal pistol for you? try several brands and see for yourself.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Aren't SA/DA pistols infrequently used because (by rule), you can't have them in the cocked position at "Ready" position; unlike 1911 type pistols.

Am I wrong?

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Aren't SA/DA pistols infrequently used because (by rule), you can't have them in the cocked position at "Ready" position; unlike 1911 type pistols.

Am I wrong?

For production division you are correct about having to start with the hammer down. They are still quite popular though, especially among the top shooters. For many, the advantages far outweigh having to make one double action pull at the start.

Top Bottom