Beretta 92FS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I just picked up a new 92FS from a dealer here in Houston for $575, including case, extra 15rd mag, cleaning kit and lock. It says made in Italy, but is there a difference between the ones made in Italy and the ones made in US? Just curious.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Mechanically no difference. Cosmetically they will have some proofs and markings the US guns won't have and visa vi
    This. I own a few. My first two are from Italy. It has been said that there may be differences in the steel that's used. I saw a couple of references to support this a few years ago and it is plausible, considering they are made on two different continents. Also, the slide failures that have been reported (and often related to use of SMG ammo)were primarily USA made and M9's at that. I noticed in the 90's that the Italian models fetched a slightly higher price also.
    As a collector, it's hard to ignore the things that contribute to collector value, however seemingly inconsequential.

You got a good shooter there.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Very addictive guns and a real joy to shoot. To me, there's just something about them that makes it feel like a fine machine. I have an Elite II stainless that was accurized by Ernest Langdon when he was still doing them. Just feels like butter. You will enjoy it.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    As a bit of clarification, the 92's that broke were before the adoption and finalization of the M9 or the addition of the slide stop FS model. These were 92F variations. The breakages were the result of using 9mm ammunition designed for the Sten gun (think 9mm +++P), and occurred during a field trial with some of our US SF people training with British SAS (who used BHP pistols that ate this ammo just fine). As a result of these failures, this group continued using the Sig Sauer P226 which had no malfunctions with this ammunition. They continue using the P226 to this day and have declined on several occasions to revisit the 92, even with the improvements incorporated into the 92FS which was formalized and adopted as the M9.

As Tallwalker pointed out, the 92 can be a fairly seductive design. I poo-pooed them for years, being a Sig guy, until I had the opportunity to spend a long weekend and a few thousand rounds playing with one.

Here are my two ... and I'm keeping an eye out for a vintage Brigadier...

1995 Limited/special edition M9, and a somewhat rare 92SB

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Excellent info, thanks for the replies. Sounds like the general consensus is I made a decent purchase and should enjoy it for years to come. At what round count should I start considering a bbl change, considering I typically use 115gr Winchester ball ammo at the range?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Very addictive guns and a real joy to shoot. To me, there's just something about them that makes it feel like a fine machine. I have an Elite II stainless that was accurized by Ernest Langdon when he was still doing them. Just feels like butter. You will enjoy it.
    Great description!

And thanks Trigger, for the clarification.
    I have a Helwan brigadiers that I bought back in the 90's from Federal Ordinance (no longer in business) and it's a real nice shooter as well.

Last edited:

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    Excellent info, thanks for the replies. Sounds like the general consensus is I made a decent purchase and should enjoy it for years to come. At what round count should I start considering a bbl change, considering I typically use 115gr Winchester ball ammo at the range?

Unless you're burning it up on a daily basis, the barrel will probably outlive you. I've several 9mm pistols at or over the 25k round mark that have no noticeable depreciation in accuracy.

What you need to watch are the wings on the barrel block and the aft portion of the slide, which are the two weak spots of the design and are prone to cracking under the stress of excess pressures. If you feed it the ammo it was designed for, namely 124gr NATO ball or the lighter 115gr fmj, you'll most likely never see a failure. I read somewhere (I can't pin it down at the moment), it's recommended the recoil spring and firing pin spring be replaced every 10,000 rounds -- and this is cheap, preventive maintenance (I think I paid less than $10.00 at Brownells).

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I have owned both Italy and USA made over the last 20 years. I never had any problems and will get another one at the right price. They are fun to shoot as long as you stick to factory mags and Mecgar aftermarket.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Want a kick in the ass to carry and shoot? Get a compact version. I've got a 92fs and 96fs inox compact models. The inox is stainless levers also. They shoot great, are g19 size and carry incredibly well. I actually have 6 different versions. Not sure where they all made though. I pay little attention to that haha.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I believe one of the major gun magazines (handgunner or guns and ammo maybe) did a 92FS 10k round range day article back in the early 90's. If memory serves, they shot the pistol for however long it took to expend 10,000 rounds with a few field strip and clean intervals. I don't remember many specifics about the protocol used, or the record of any FTF or what have you, but there was no failure. The gun was off the shelf and the test was not endorsed or otherwise known by Beretta at the time of testing. I enjoyed seeing that article being on the cover and felt great about my earlier purchases after reading it, but I wasn't surprised.

Top Bottom