Best 1911 style pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    On the high end of your price range, I'd definitely take a look at the Dan Wesson Valor and maybe a TRP.

You can't go wrong with an STI either.

Mid range, a SA loaded is good.

ON the low range, I like the Rock Island Tactical.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I bought an STI Trojan in 9mm, back in November and I love it. Very low recoil and extremely accurate. If you ever make your way to Baton Rouge, you are more than welcome to shoot it.

jy4z6bye5nxqad1nln4e.jpg

Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Snook, I carried that same gun for two years, nice piece. After carring the 5" and the 3", I ended up setting on the comander.

As far as the other guy: if you are going to use this gun for the cowboy action stuff you might want to Check out there regulations before you gland spend a fortune on a gun. Kimber makes a 5" model you can get for $799. For the money you can't realy beat a kimber, they all come with the custom triggers, hammers and bull or match grade barrels. The colt xse is a great gun also. You should be able to puck one of those up for around 8-900$

buck3050

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    LaPlace

Yes i looked at the sti spartan and the fiber optic sight on the front is a no no in cowboy action. I am still open to all guns but they are pretty specific on the rules. I was leaning towards the spartan. Does STI make or sell a different sight for the spartan?

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Yes i looked at the sti spartan and the fiber optic sight on the front is a no no in cowboy action. I am still open to all guns but they are pretty specific on the rules. I was leaning towards the spartan. Does STI make or sell a different sight for the spartan?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=6

http://www.impactguns.com/store/4806015514213.html

This would fit the bill for Cowboy Action or Rock Island Always Buy good mags to run your 1911's.

Which club do you shoot SASS at?

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace

Dawson makes all black sights.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    "best 1911" - I'd like to know context. What do you want to do with it??

I have an old Kimber Gold Match (series 1) that I love but, it's so pretty, it rarely goes to the range compared with my other guns - it is a safe queen and we all need one.

I also have a Para "gun rights" ss single stack that's a pretty good all round gun - maybe, an "in the truck" and "go to the range" gun.

I've had Springfields and they are, for my uses, the best. Good at the range, sturdy, and you can buy a lower end one and add on whatever trick out stuff you want. The thing about Springfields is that they're the best all round 1911 for me - and, they kinda feel like "issue". They definately are not a custom shop gun, but you can put on most of the gadgets if you want - as you want them.

T&TGu

tommy
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Maurice
    I like most of the 1911s on the market these days. Right now my personal favorite is my Kimber Custom II. I have installed after market novak adjustable nite sights and have duracoated it tactical black. My next one will be a Springfield Champion GI. I think the best way to buy a gun is to go with the most that you can afford and with what ever fits you best. If you don't like it don't buy it. If you don't like it you won't be happy with it period. I had a loaded Springfield in od green and never shot it and didn't care for the gun. Someone got a good deal on the nib pistol

buck3050

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    LaPlace
    it depends on which catagory i shoot in the cowboy action. Traditional or Modern. I can't have all the bells and whistles and just need a stock gun with fixed sights or adustable with no fiber optics. No access. rail and all. sooo. Just was picking ya'lls brains. Thanks to all for the input.

Last edited:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    My main carry is a Kimber UCDP.
    IMHO, Kimber is sorta like Yamaha outboards: not bad, but waaaaay over-rated.
    "For the money", it would be hard to beat the Taurus 1911.
    leVieux

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom